What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lauras cp program...............

Laura got the program and has passed it on to me. neat program if a bit rough and geared to outdoor gardening rather than CP's and i may actually use it in all my lazyness. im, ahhhhhhh, sorta fixing it, changing it to focus on CP growing. any aspects of CP culture anyone would like to see in the program? i need ideas, i havent been growing CPs very long but ive done a large enough variety that i think i can work out most of the basic stuff but could use all the input i can get. remember this is a data base you create for your own plants to help you keep records. anyways its Lauras program and my understanding is even though she dished out the $$ most anyone will be able to get a copy if they wish to have it. post your ideas here and ill incorperate them if possible.

Lets see....I am going to state everything that comes to mind, which will all, most likely, be ovious stuff.

-light requirements
-media requirements
-humidity requirements
-circulations requirements (does it do well in a tank, or need a breeze?)
-water requirements (both quality and quantity)
-dormancy requirements/hardyness
-sex (if applicable)
-potting prefernces (ephytic/bog/lithophitic (sp?)/whatever, plastic vs clay pots, etc.)
-how much they appreciate a feeding, and how often
-ways to propagate

That's all I got....will update if I think of anything else...

wow, uh ok thats alot of stuff. better do some reading on how to add boxes
smile_n_32.gif
thanks schoalty thats the kinda info i was looking for, i had thought of only about 1/2 of that list

Oh, wait....another "box" just hit me:

-possible pests/diseases to look out for

I would love something like this mine it in an unorganized WordPad.

I would love to see

Some way of searching
Latin name
Received from
Date receive
Purchase price
Leaf diameter on arrival
Stem height on arrival (if applicable)
Trap size on arrival (mostly for Nepenthes)
Pot size
Last repotted

One thing I have that I like is when ever I get a new plant I give it a equine ID that I write on the tag and it is really helpful if you have more then one of the same plant.

Another thing I would love to have it a photo of that plant on its own page.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

JH. i should be able to do most if not all your list. ill get working on it this weekend.

Awesome

What is the program called?

How will you distribute it?

thanks
-Jeremiah-

actually its just a file in Microsoft Access. it was under 4MB when i first got it, dont know how much adding some extra data boxes and a few more commands and such will add, shouldnt be a whole lot. how it will be distributed is up to Laura, i know she is kicking around a few ideas such as a small donation, like $5 or something, to NASC but nothing has been settled on, i dont know if she has even talked to the board about it. i can send it from here through email or i can mail it on a disk if you prefer for a small fee to cover postage and the floppy. anyways its not done, i only get to work on it when i get free time but i should have a completely finished product in a week or two.

How about a comment box for date planted/sowed and date seed sprouted, etc.

OO OO!!! BCK just gave me two more ideas: Date pollinated (where applicable) and last flowering date.

Bless Lauras heart!! This is very cool. For any who want to be in the NASC growing program, this would be a must have. For collectors in general, a great program for tracking plants, a growlist of sorts, etc. Rattler, remedies for sick plants would be good. Remedies for fungus' and molds could be posted, a whole mess of things! Thanks Laura! Thanks, Rattler!

i didnt have as much free time as expected and Darla informed me i was doing things wrong and tossed me out of the drivers seat and took over. sooooooooo im not as far along as i hoped i would be but at least it will be done right. the main page is done other than Darla doesnt like the look of it cause there is to much info and she doesnt believe id scrolling for stuff like this so shes going to add another page to split up the data. so "i" have to add another page for plant history, fix the germination and disease pages and fix some minor stuff so the tables and search functions work right and it should be ready to go. my original thought of it being done in another 10 days or so should be easy enough to meet. thanks for the support every one.

You are going to show us all the finished "product"??

interesting question. kinda hard to do without "giving" you the file. ill have to chat with Laura and see what she wants to do. its her program. im just donating Darlas and my own time to fix it and am trying to keep everyone updated to make sure there is interest. she dished out a nice chunk of change for the original program. but to give you all an idea of what the program is doing, it allows you to enter such data as who you got your plant from, how much you paid, original measurements, current measurements, growing medium, disease/problem history, common name(for us usually something along the lines of "sundew") locale, cultivar/variety, when seed was planted, when it sprouted, when it was put into dormancy, when it was taken out. ect ect ect. i think all of it, but definatly most of it, will be able to be searched by plant type, date recieved, pest problem and stuff like that. it will do what some of us have tucked away in a Word file or a notepad suffed on a shelf and do it in an orderly, searchable data base.

Very cool, Rattler. You are right on showing the product to us. I say "duh" in my defense! I could use a program like that for the NASC Growers Program and am dying to get one. I will try not to die until I get one though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 31 2004,10:23)]...i know she is kicking around a few ideas such as a small donation, like $5 or something, to NASC...
Rattler, if it does everything on the "wishlist" of the previous posts, then a $5°° donation isn't enough. I would think that it should be at least $10°° to $15°° minimum.

Would it be possible to see a couple screen shots of the program to get an idea of what we'd see after entering info on a plant?

I am so sorry, I missed this back here. My Rattler, you’ve been busy! Impressive!

I searched the Internet for a program that would meet my needs and repeatedly came up empty handed.  There were a few that were close. One was $39 and the other was around $60.  Neither performed the way I believed they should to be able to be utilized as a functional tool and they lacked practicality.  That was why I originally had someone set up the program.  I blatantly gave up trying to locate a comprehensive application that would work for me.  

The beneath "beta" (in need of many “fixes”) version actually did include a search engine for both common names as well as the botanical names. I also had the gal include drop down boxes which I thought was neat. There were areas for drop and drag of photos which would be an added benefit for someone like me. Yes, it was set up more toward outdoor CP growing as I currently have a little outdoor bog and have recently excavated an area for a considerably larger outdoor bog that ended up well in excess of 3,000 gallons so I did sort of gear it more so toward those with greenhouses and outside growing areas however it appears Rattler is doing a fine job addressing major deficiencies right now as I type and he is enhancing the program. Other than that, there was an area for fungal, bacterial, and insect infestations which I believe had space for notes.  I am thinking that Rattler's knowledge of CPs combined with Darla's skill set in programming most probably far exceeds the team of me and the gal I had create this so it will be awesome to see what we get as an end result now that people who know what they are doing have taken the baton.  

I have visited several websites that had pastel or rather faded backgrounds of CPs.  I would like to see some innocuous faded backgrounds added to the application merely for aesthetics.  Makes it less obnoxious to stare at when entering data for hours on end. This is an X chromosome request.  It’s a girl thing.  

The other thought rolling around in my head was that I would love to see if some of the folk who created artwork of CPs would be willing to contribute any time and talent creating artwork for this program.  I was thinking some of the folk here who designed logos for the NASC were talented beyond my wildest dreams and wouldn't that be nice to use some of what they did as background or wallpaper or whatever you call it for the program.  Just a thought and it sure would make it more appealing.

A name for the program…hmmm.  Never thought about it. It’s Rattler and Darla’s baby now so I say what ever they so decide to name it is fine with me as long as it isn’t “Laura’s CP Program”.  

I see a definite need to add a data base back up feature to save data when exiting the program. This way, if data ever needs to be restored, it could be done so from a desktop icon.  

My thoughts were to gently ask if people would be in a position to donate $5 or whatever to the NASC for the application BUT... I would feel uncomfortable making use of the program dependent upon a contribution. I do see where Rattler’s cd purchase, burning, bubbler mailer, and postage costs MUST be covered and I have no idea what those would be.  People are quite generous and if they can afford to make a donation or see fit to contribute to the NASC, they will.  I'd really prefer a "no strings attached" deal for anyone who is a member of Terra Forums.  Other than that, I'd be happy to turn over any interest I have in the program to the NASC and they can sell it at their new website if they so desire when they get up and running for whatever they deem appropriate.

Lastly; legal jargon, warranties (none), and disclaimers need to be added in there at some point in time prior to distribution.

Gosh, this program will end up having form and functionality despite me!  Thanks Rattler!

if i knew how to do a screen shot i would post that no problem, but im at a loss on how to do that. im working on the drop list thing. i can see where it will be handy but the way the original programer set it up will not work for how alot of us do things, but i think i figured out how to fix that. Darla is pretty dang sure that we can set up a search function to cover alot more than just common/latin name, in fact as i understand it if you wanted to you can search for all the plants you paid $5 for. Darlas nursing a knotted up muscle in her back and is in no mood to program at the moment but she has given me a couple books and said she would help if i get stuck. i have all of next weekend free other than maybe a few hours of flying around behind my house on a snowmobile so i HOPE to have it done by Monday.

on the background thing, im pretty sure i can throw something back there but all i have is average quality pics of my plants, and no time to mess with them in Photoshop. if some one had a couple nice pics they have "faded" to look nice as a background and they wouldnt mind donating ill do my darndest to get them to work.

as to the warrenty thing, well ill burn the file to a couple CDs and strategically place them in a few places so ill be able to send the program out if you loose it do to a computer crash or whatever but it will be a good idea to back it up yourself every so often cause i cant replace your data.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Jan. 04 2005,8:23)]if i knew how to do a screen shot i would post that no problem, but im at a loss on how to do that.
You might try Screenshot Pilot, which is Freeware and very easy to use. You can download the 3.21 MB executable file from
http://www.freeware4pc.com/utilities/screenshotpilot.shtml

There are numerous other screenshot capture programs, but this freeware program is free!

thanks Bob. Tuesday and Wednesday are quite busy for me here at the paper. i should be able to get a screenshot up thursday or friday to give you guys and gals an idea of the rough program. chances are ill get yah the screenshot before i do anymore tweaking so what you see wont be the finished product just a decent idea of what the program is going to do. most of whats left to do is just making it more user friendly and making it so im happy with it.

Back