What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were to study the genome of a cp...

Lol! Go to any respecting drug campany and ask them: do you spend your time looking for new drugs in plants, fungi and bacteria, or in just any other multicellular organism? They would tell you they would focus on plants, fungi and bacteria--they tend to produce unique molecules. And 'byod' wouldn't help unless you have millions of dollars to have it sequenced!

By the way, it is highly unlikely that any CP genome will ever be sequenced in the near future. Plants usually have a considerably large genome (most larger than ours) and plant research is never on the top of the research priority budget when the goverment hands out the money.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Jan. 06 2005,8:26)]By the way, it is highly unlikely that any CP genome will ever be sequenced in the near future. Plants usually have a considerably large genome (most larger than ours) and plant research is never on the top of the research priority budget when the goverment hands out the money.
Very true, It isn't of interest. The medical industry isnt interested in natural remedies for anything.

Utrics, a lack of gene study in that genus (Unless I missed someone's work)

I would go with either Dionaea or Drosera.

does anyone know if carnivorous plants have been genetically classified before? (for example taking the genus nepenthes studying all the genes within the species in the genus and classifying them (which one came from which, which one is the oldest specie in the genus, etc)

Nepenthes

someone that can give me a link to the actual published article.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can't choose my favorite, that's like picking which of your kids is your favorite.

Exactly, now make your choice. ... Wait... You mean you can't choose a favorite child?? What an odd parent.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Feb. 25 2005,8:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can't choose my favorite, that's like picking which of your kids is your favorite.
It's not that serious...

anyone have anything regarding my question?

AE, Look for the experiments on s. purpurea's. They were being studied once as a possible cancer cure. I do not know what the studies ended up reflecting as I did not follow them for too long. As far as genetics, I have been wanting to do that for years! It might even be possible to find out through the genes more or less where they came into being, and how they spread out, all through their genetic codes. And if their are genes common to particular strains, and if those strains crossed long ago to build what we know as species today. A total history of sarracenia through genetics, and genetic coding. Possible??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 26 2005,2:13)]A total history of sarracenia through genetics, and genetic coding. Possible??
That's what i'm going to be doing. I'm going to analyze a reliable gene (COI) and using PAUP and other DNA sequencing techniques, compare the plants and come up with a history of which came from which. It's simpler than it sounds and it'll be fun to see what the computer comes up with. The results will be pretty reliable but not perfect and it'll be the start of my research.

Right on, AE! That is one thing I have been waiting for, the history of our sarracenias babies through genetic coding. I am looking forward to your results!

Back