What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yah know you live to far north when.......

you dont bother zippin up your coat till it hits 20 degrees

you wait for it to warm up so you can get some fresh snow(it doesnt snow if its much below 0 degrees)

-30 and a foot of snow DOES NOT close down the town, in fact you notice no change in the amount of activity

snowmobiling in -20 degree weather sounds like fun

in April when it FINALLY hits 45 above you dig out your shorts

-15 degrees doesnt feel THAT cold if there is no wind

its so cold you cant plug in your vehicle because the cold shrunk the plug and it refuses to go on

your truck/car heater will only blow sorta warm air because its SO FREAKING COLD

sorry guys, it was -35 when i woke up at 5 am, no wind. i darn near frost bit my hands unplugging the truck. at 9 am it was still -30 and the sun was shining, i feels like its about -20 to -15 now. anyone else have any good ones?

When I lived in Riverton,Wyo. it dropped to -63 degrees. My friend nearly lost his ears and I had frost nip because I walked to work (.5 mile) and he walked to college (a further .5 mile) because it was so cold that it felt fairly warm and the car would not start. Should have taken that for a warning.

Our garage is pretty damp with both vehicles dragging in snowmelt.

It's so cold when it spontaneously snows in the garage when you open up the door! very funky to see hehe

Tony

Autumn lasts about 2 weeks, and Winter 5 months.

snow in April is normal.

you have to leave water dripping in all the faucets all night.

its not unusual to see snowmobiles parked like cars in the parking lot of the local diner.

your halloween costume when you were a kid always had to be able to fit over a huge winter coat..

You're too far north if you have to head south to find S. purpurea.

I can't relate, it was 82 and sunny here today.

When you graduate at the end of MAY, and it's a sunny 75 out, there's still HUGE mounds of snow at the end of the parking lot...

Yeah... -60 for a week one year at school.
had to walk to and from track pratice (about .5 mile). LOTS O' LAYERS!

when you hear sounds like gunshots, and realize it's only the nails popping out of the house siding

You know you live too far north if you get more than 1 inch of snow in a year.

You know you live too far north when:

you have 21 consecutive days day when the temp never gets up to the freezing point (Plattsburgh State University College, January 1978).

you go through a 16 out of 17 day period of Lake Effect snow of 6->10" each day, along with the snow plow barricade at the bottom of the driveway, with no place to put the snow, except on your porch (Buffalo, January 1998).

you wait for a metrobus and you see the bank's time /temperature flicker between +-zero. (Buffalo, December 1983).

you go to a Bills game against the Raiders and the temp at the start is 11 degrees... and then it gets colder. (Buffalo, December 1993).

i noticed something else, i frost bit the tips of my poor D. capensis "typical" leaves from me going in and out the back door
confused.gif
the poor thing sits 5 feet from the door, i thought it was safe. i guess it needs to be moved, nothing else seemed to mind not even the capensis "albino" sitting next to it. it must have got hit just right with a draft.

oh yeah one more thing, my ducks and geese are PSYCOTIC! this morning at 7:30, it was -30 and they walk out of there nice, warm straw bale house i built them and plooped there rears on top of a snow bank and proceeded to talk amoungst themselves about the weather. they aint right in the head i tell yah!

I can finnaly relate, florida isn't very snowy obviously, I never thought I would say "tommorows supposed to be warm" when the high is in the 30's

you have ever had a snowball fight on july 16th.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You know you live too far north if you get more than 1 inch of snow in a year.

--------------

hey south dakota isnt too ar north then
smile_m_32.gif

lol, we probably got around 30 something inches last year, the most we had at one time was prolly 8 or 9", the day after halloween, we got a snow day

In the Summer Polar Bears migrate into your neighborhood to escape the heat. In the Winter they migrate out to escape the cold.

Does anybody remember the 48" of snow that fell in Watertown in one day(1977?)

The toilet in your house freezes and cracks the bowl.
Good thing the water was frozen, didn't go anywhere.
Now that I blew cellulose insulation into the walls, it's much warmer. Hazards of living in a house built in 1900. No insulation.

Kirk
Fitchburg, MA

You walk off the end of your raised porch and disappear in snow that over your head *luckily a family member saw me disappear*  Mass. in 77. Yes Jim, I do. I have seen that and more fall.

I wonder if Tamlin or Tony remembers it, being close enough by.

Back