What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking a trip to north carolina

Hey everybody,

I am planning a trip to North Carolina in April or May to see Venus Flytraps in their native habitat for the first time in my life.  I also want to study them, document, and photograph.  Could anybody who has been there or lives there now give me advice concerning these questions below?

Thanks!  
biggrin.gif

1--I have time in April or May.  Would you say there is a better time to go during either of those two months?  Specific week advice?

2--Is the terrain where Dionaea muscipula are found very difficult to travel?  Basically, will I need uphill mountain hiking gear and plan to bring someone with me, or is it simply a hike through fairly level forest area that I could travel on my own without too much risk of getting injured and isolated?

3--I plan on seeing the North Carolina Botanical Garden, is there a best time to visit that as well?

4--Which counties in North Carolina are best for searching?  I have found this Dionaea distribution map...but I wonder which county has the largest amount still found?

http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/Carnivores/Dionaea_muscipula.htm

5--I have relatives in Hope Mills, Cumberland county.  The map from the link includes Cumberland county, but I wonder if there are any Dionaea still surviving today?

6--What kind of weather should I prepare for?  I plan on camping in areas where it is permitted and hiking through the forest 5 days out of my seven there.  The other two days will be at the NC Botanical Garden.

7--Any other things I haven't thought to ask that you feel I should be aware of?

Thank you guys in advance for any advice you guys have.  
biggrin.gif

I've never been there but I too am planning on going this summer in June, I heard wilmington is one of the best places

1. It's a very good time to see the spring leaves and flowers. I like to go in June or July but if you're not use to the heat, you'll regret it.

2. No. Very easy. All flat. If you are planning to go deep into the swamps you will want to bring a GPS or at least a compass. It's very easy to get lost. You'll also want to wear boots because there are a lot of very dangerous snakes there. Eastern Diamondback, Cottonmouth, and Coral snakes just to name a few. You also have to be careful of bears. Bug repellent is a must! Unless you like being covered in ticks and chiggers.

3. I don't know

4. The map looks like a historic range. I know for a fact that some of those counties no longer have VFT's. Contact me personally and I can give you more details.

5. Maybe. I have never found them there. I have found them within a few miles of Cumberland county though.

6. The weather will range between 70 and 95 degrees. Most likely you'll have 85 and 90. Expect rain.

7. No. It's a $2000 fine and 6 months in jail for each plant, and I would assume that each seed is a single plant. 10 seeds could equal $20,000 and 5 years in jail. Besides you collecting a threated plant is just plain wrong.

If you have any question send me a PM.

I have looked over that site that you posted. I have already found some mistakes. It might be a general guide but it's not very accurate.

maybe I might be able to meet up with you odeseus, and ozzy, sunpitcher and his grandma are hopefully going to drive down into central florida, pick me up, then we'll look at the S. Minor populationm then probably go up to the panhandle, and see some leucs, then up to NC To see VFTs Sundews and sarras

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eastern Diamondback, Cottonmouth, and Coral snakes just to name a few.
actually there aren't all that many. There are only 6 species of VENOMOUS snakes in all of north carolina
the whole list (I have it memorized of course...I go out a lot and catch snakes so I need to be able to ID 'em aldough the only venomous snake in my county is the copperhead... anyway there are copperheads, cottonmouths, eastern diamond backs, timber rattlesnakes, pygmy rattlesnakes, and coral snakes)

Thank you, Ozzy! I would'nt have harmed any plants, nor did I plan on taking any. But, I see how picking up any seed and not allowing it to grow in it's environment would be a round about way of hurting the plant. I wasn't looking at it that way.

I'll send you a PM. Thanks again!

Kirk,

If we are there around the same time perhaps that will work. But, it may be difficult to orchestrate it.

You need to go to Carolina State Park (on beach near wilimington). You can look it up online. But that has every Cp in the South Eastern US (except some Sarrs obviously). Plan on a day minimum. Oh yeah the VFTs are not on the main trails. And no collecting.
Tre

Thanks for the advice. I will look it up.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]actually there aren't all that many.

True, there are only 6 species of venomous snakes in NC. If I am correct all but one are found in the same counties that he will be visiting. Also, When you go deep in the swamp you are way more likely to come in contact with them. I've seen them quite a few times myself. It's better to know they are there and be prepared.

Carolina State Park is one site I was going to tell you about. The cp's there are growing .3 of a mile on one side and about .5 a mile on the other. While you're in Carolina Beach, you should also stop at Fort Fisher. It's an old civil war fort. It has a nice museum. There is also a nice Aquarium there. I have heard that there are vft's growing on a nature trail around the Aquarium, but I can't say for sure.
There is a ferry that runs from Ft.Fisher to Southport (Brunswick Co.). It cost only $5 per car. It cut's the time of your travel to Carolina Beach in half. It's perfect if you're going from the cp sites in Brunswick county to Carolina Beach.

I'll send you detailed maps and directions if you want.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3--I plan on seeing the North Carolina Botanical Garden, is there a best time to visit that as well?

In the mid growing season... May area.. they look great then.

Yes, Ozzy. I would appreciate any maps you may have links to. I really appreciate the advice, because this trip is all about CPs and I can't wait to take it.
biggrin.gif

Flytrapgurl,

That sounds great! I have decided on the first week of May so that works with your suggestion already!
biggrin.gif
Woohoo!

May/June! The flowering season! If you can't find the plants, look for their scapes. Easier to find them that way. They can be fairly well hidden from sight by grasses and such, so be aware.

I'm not really sure exactly where in NCBG the CPs are, but there's one area with several 2' brick bogs right near a building.. usually the CPs look really good, like I said, in the growing season... I saw HUGE VFT traps!! And I don't know if they still do this, but there should be a shelf or two of plants for sale up against the building... some Sarracenia minors in black pots. I got mine there.

Back