What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the usa is going down the tubes...........

i "stole" this from another forum i visit. good read and bipartisan so i should hear to much politcal screaming from you guys
smile_n_32.gif

Tigers, snowmobiles, and Sudafed: There oughta (not) be a law
By Bill Winter

Here's the best legal advice you'll get in 2005: Don't let your pet tiger drive a snowmobile across a not-quite-frozen lake and then buy three packages of Sudafed at a drugstore. If you do, you'll get into hot water. Which is defined as water that's at least 120 degrees. In Louisiana, anyway.

If that doesn't make any sense, you haven't been following news reports about all the state laws that went into effect on January 1.

That's right. Laws regulating pet tigers, snowmobiles, cold medicine, and hot water took effect on New Year's Day -- along with hundreds of other laws in 19 states. It's a tough call, but the most eye-rollingly foolish one may be Louisiana's "hot" water decree.

According to politicians, Louisiana faced an ominous threat: the hot water in some laundromats wasn't hot enough. (I'll pause while you gasp in horror.) Some folks complained that their clothes weren't getting clean.

The solution? It's obvious, isn't it? Let the free market work. If customers aren't happy with the hot water at a laundromat, they'll find a better facility. Eventually, good laundromats with satisfactorily hot water will get more business and bad ones will go bankrupt. Right?

You must not be from Louisiana. The correct answer is: pass a new law. So they did. Now, every Louisiana laundromat is required to produce 120-degree water for its washing machines. If they don't, the owner must post a sign saying, "Hot water not available." Presumably, thermometer-wielding police will enforce the law, instead of wasting their time solving murders.

New Hampshire faced a different crisis. Bored by the approximately 11 months of winter they endure each year, some state residents were driving their snowmobiles at high speed across iced-over lakes and then "skimming" across patches of open water. For those who didn't drown, this was allegedly fun.

State politicians weren't amused. So they passed a law making skimming illegal. "The new law against skimming will save lives," a Fish and Game Department employee solemnly told the Concord Monitor. Sure it will. Because lunatics who ride snowmobiles over open water in frigid weather are exactly the kind of thoughtful citizens most likely to obey such laws.

Then there's the tiger problem. In 2003, a knucklehead living in a tiny Harlem apartment was hospitalized after his pet -- a 400-pound Bengal tiger -- gnawed his arm and leg. New York politicians, eager to solve a problem that occurs, on average, once in a lifetime, passed a law making it a crime to keep wild animals as pets. To put, ahem, teeth into the law, they levied a $500 fine for the first offense.

Consider the thinking: The possibility of having limbs chewed into human tartar by a tiger's razor-sharp teeth is not enough to prevent people from keeping savage jungle cats as pets. But a $500 fine -- ah, that will do the trick.

Finally, there's cold medicine. In Illinois, it's now a crime to buy more than two packages of over-the-counter cold medication at a time. Such medicines (like Sudafed) contain pseudoephedrine, which, when combined with other chemicals and criminal intent, can produce methamphetamine.

Since previous laws designed to stamp out "meth" hadn't succeeded, politicians figured that one more regulation would do the trick. And since those other laws, which targeted drug manufacturers and dealers, had failed, legislators cleverly turned their sights on people with colds, who now risk criminal charges if they try to stock up on medicine.

All this raises an obvious question. Why do politicians pass such foolish laws? That's easy. It's what politicians do. And American politicians do it more than almost anyone else.

Consider: on New Year's Day, 88 new laws went into effect in China, according to the Financial Express newspaper. That's China, which has 1.3 billion people. The totalitarian Communist nation. Where its rulers have traditionally controlled every aspect of citizen's lives. Yet, only 88 new laws were required to keep China functioning smoothly for another year.

By contrast, politicians in North Carolina last year passed 216 new laws. In Pennsylvania, lawmakers cranked out "nearly 240 bills," according to the Associated Press. In Louisiana, the Legislature enacted a whopping 930 new laws at its regular session -- and then, realizing that the job wasn't quite done, passed 14 more at a special session. California politicians, not to be outdone, managed to pass "about 950 bills," according to the Sacramento Bee, before, presumably, collapsing from exhaustion. That's 2,350 new laws in just four states (leaving 46 other states where politicians were assuredly just as busy.)

What can be done? As a good American, my first thought was that we should pass a new law -- making it illegal for politicians to pass so many new laws. Then I reconsidered. Because if the laws regulating pet tigers, snowmobiles, cold medicine, and hot water are any indication, new laws are not the solution. New laws are the problem. Oops. Can I say that? Or is there a law against it? I better check.

Oh, MAN! This is rich!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]New Hampshire faced a different crisis. Bored by the approximately 11 months of winter they endure each year, some state residents were driving their snowmobiles at high speed across iced-over lakes and then "skimming" across patches of open water. For those who didn't drown, this was allegedly fun.

because its becoming incresingly popular and inherently stupid.in this town some guys did that once and their snowmobeil sank and they couldnt climb out of the frozen water bacause the thin ice at ethw waters ege kept giving way. there fine, but that hasnt discouraged others from trying it. i saw one film of that on tv, the stupid guy tought hed go at it shirtless to impress some galls and , surpise, fell on the ice. i dunno how fast he was going but it want completely frozen and i bet he got slivers of ice

Finch, doesnt all this fall under Darwins survival of the fittest theory?
smile_n_32.gif
i see nothing wrong with it, if the want to fly across open water in something made to go across snow do we really want those kinds of genes floating around
smile_m_32.gif

i dont want their garbage, oilslicks or bodies contaminating good lakewater

LOL
I'll just say this:(and I LOVE this quote... it's like the truest thing ever said)
" Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former
–Albert Einstein "

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Jan. 18 2005,3:08)]Finch, doesnt all this fall under Darwins survival of the fittest theory? ... do we really want those kinds of genes floating around
Unfortunately, many of these fools breed before they kill themselves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately, many of these fools breed before they kill themselves.
no wonder the USA is going down the tubes! :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately, many of these fools breed before they kill themselves.

why are women attracted to men like that and impresed by their stunts.

"oh, john, your so brave, and cold..."

I don't have a problem with any of those laws. And it isn't just because I don't live in any of those places. I think a $500 fine for illegally keeping a lion is way too small, but otherwise those laws all seem reasonable.

lol yeah the tiger one cracked me up. i do believe there should some sort of licencing where you must prove you can adiquatly and safley house these large and potentially dangerous critters. if you can do that by all means you should be allowed to keep them.

Most of these laws are 100% bull<word missing>. California has the strictest gun laws, and the highest crime rate. Nevada has the most lenient gun laws, and the lowest crime rate! They also banned .50 calibers here in California. I haven't even seen a .50 caliber as they are banned at most gun ranges, and almost no stores sell them. Plus, these "snipers" don't use them, they use something lighter, like an M21. Go figure...

and in salt lake city it is illegal to carry a violin in a paper bag. whats your point?

Prefer a Weatherby Mark 5 chambered and bored for a .308.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]>. California has the strictest gun laws, and the highest crime rate. Nevada has the most lenient gun laws, and the lowest crime rate!
yeah and california has like 20 trillion people and nevada has like 2.
(lol... i exaggerate too much I know... but at least it's obvious i'm exaggerating and people don't complain about my facts being wrong :p)

well california should have the highest crime ate, its the most populous state

On new years day, I call it new laws day. You know," happy new law day!!!!"
We have lots of stupid laws on the books here (peoples republic of kalifornia) and they add new ones every year. Do they ever repeal any of the old laws? Sheesh there are laws from the 1800's still on the books!

Back