What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

People know of ice ages but what about a snowball earth? The snowball earth theory proposes the fact that at once the earth was frozen completely, down to the tropics. A great big ball of ice. What does everyone think about that?

P.S. Nice job with the evo thread guys.

I'd move to... um...
biggrin.gif

You're just asking to get the mods P.O.ed at you huh? Keep this up, and you might get yourself banned.
smile_n_32.gif

I think that there was and ice age, but the earth was not frozen completely. There are still animals that were around in the dinosaur ages, and if the earth froze over completely, then they would all have died. I do think that the earth had an ice age because of the ice bridge that allowed the first people to cross to this continent.

Supposedly snowball earth occured before humans and land animals. The only things around where plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 24 2005,12:01)]You're just asking to get the mods P.O.ed at you huh? Keep this up, and you might get yourself banned.
smile_n_32.gif
That's not why i post these things. I want a scientific discussion. This is a less controversial topic, so there will probably be no feelings hurt in this one. I'm not doing anything ban-worthy.

Evo thread was closed due only to the fact it was too long, and taking up too much space in the Forums. The thread did get sticky a few times, but generally you folks kept it cool, and clean, when warned by a mod. Good thread. No problems other than space considerations.

The snowball earth hypothesis certainly explains some odd aspects of the geologic record.  There's no question about how widespread glaciation was in the Neoproterozoic (end of the Precambrian) and the banded iron formations of that age are hard to explain otherwise.  Snowball Earth is awesome stuff because it's controversial and has stirred up the experts, proving the power of the scientific method to take us toward truth.

Theres a whole discovery channel show on it, pretty interesting. I can not deny the fact that it is possible. Zongyi

Considering the fact that global warming has made the earth gradually warmer, it seems the father back you go, the colder it was, so the snowball earth theory makes sense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Jan. 24 2005,10:46)]The earth has been all sorts of temperatures. It hasn't been a linear progression. A sine wave maybe.

http://www.informationsphere.com/html/269.htm
Yup. An upward sloping sine wave perhaps? Thought I saw that in Bio class once, you know, because of increased greenhouse effect due to industrialisation... etc etc etc...
Or maybe that was only in the past few decades, I dunno...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd move to... um...
biggrin.gif

smile_n_32.gif
LOL!
smile_n_32.gif

The theory also says that the way the earth got out of being in a snowball state was the rapid increase from carbon dioxide from volcanoes raised the levels of carbon dioxide to unimaginable numbers. It basically created a greenhouse effect from hell. Temperatures ranged from 124-140 degrees.

Break out the sunblock.

endparenthesis, I knew somebody would tell me that.. should've made it clear in my post that that's not what I meant. I know it varies... most of the east coast has been unusually cold this winter, but still, in general, the earth has been gradually warming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]most of the east coast has been unusually cold this winter
not here! it's been really warm this winter. practically no snow
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

there was also an article about polar bears waking up earlier than usual. Many cubs will starve to death this year.
funny... we are talking about global warming in a class of mine. it is worse than I though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Westminster'>MOST</span></span> of the east coast has been unusually cold this winter

¬_¬

hah i like thatone!

Back