Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plant hunting

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hey all, I was just browsing when I came across the Nepenthes thread on N. x cantleyi, named after one of our own forum members. I've noticed several other threads on new species, new colonies, etc. in the wild, but I haven't come up with a general idea of how people came upon this unusual hobby. My guess is that you're professionals of one sort or another.
    Anyways, I always thought it would be a kick to do that kind of stuff (I used to badly want to be an orchid hunter) and I'm interested to know what brought people to plant hunting.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start in a cp range and go bogging. knee or hip waders (definatly need to be rubber) are very very helpful. I have not found anything great just normal cps. It takes time and patence. You can walk over a colony of several million Drosera and not notice until you find your first in the wild. I would recomend going to state or National Parks where cps are known to grow. Once you find them there you will be in the mindset so you can find them aas you drive along the road (I recommend you are not the one driving and looking). Depressions are almost where all US cps are in or by the edges of lakes/ponds.
    If you mean how to find new species I cannot help you on that. You will have to ask Fernando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time, money, and a magnifying glass. More than that, i can't tell you.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well only the cost of moving your body to new places. If you are looking at Drosera get a 8x magnifying glass with sides to place around the Drosera. That eliminates your hands shaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Jan. 24 2005,8:25)]Well only the cost of moving your body to new places.
    Really? How about a 1500 dollar air fare to mobe your body to borneo?
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should have been a little more specificl in my wording... I understand the mechanics of a field survey (done more than I care for in ecology classes) and was more wondering why and how people come upon the habit of seeking out plants in the wild (carnivorous or otherwise.) How is the search guided - is there some sort of heuristic procedure for finding a good place to start looking? Is it common to get paid for this kind of thing, or is it something people do for fun and - if they're lucky - it later becomes a career?
    Thanks guys!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No careers that I know of. Look in approprate habitats (for cps next to lakes, in roadside ditches, etc). You will get no moenuy excpet your own joy. Do not take anything from the wild.
    Well Tunasuprise I was think more like you looking in the US or Australia and depending where you live its about $500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] N. x cantleyi
    its a hybrid, not a species. Generaly naming privleges goes to whomever frst gets out a botonical description of
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast