What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fsb port

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
This is way off base in a CP forum but I know there are some really knowledgable computer people on this list that might be able to answer this question.

A friend of mine was advised not to buy a particular computer because it does not have a FSB (front side buss).  The advisor claims the computer cannot be used in the real estate business because it does not have one.  Kinda' sounds like she is yanking my friends chain.

Can anyone please clear this up?

front side bus in an Intel cpu term that stands for CPU to system memory bus. front side bus x multiplier = processor speed. FSB (front side bus) describes how fast the CPU and the memory (RAM) communicate. If you processor is going at 500 mghtz and your FSB is 100 mghtz then your clocker (assuming its not overclocked) would be 1.0 making your system speed 500 mghtz.

I'm guessing what he meant was that the computer wasn't Intel based.

All computers have a Front Side Bus.

Could be talking about USB? These are the sockets most computers built in the last 5 years have. They are for plugging in printers, scanners, joysticks, mice, modems - you name it.

I see no reason why the "real estate business" would require a particular computer design beyond the need for a computer that is capable of running the appropriate software and can connect to the appropriate peripheral devices.

AMD puts the bus on the chip in the athlon 64's, that might have been a source of confusion... in short, yes, your friend is probably getting their chain yanked. he/she should be fine ordering a computer from any of the big 3, Dell and HP's are the only ones worth getting in a business environment IMHO. Sony, Apple, Dell, Toshiba, and Panasonic all make nice notebooks.

Back