What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soda or pop?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've lived in New York State for most of my life and when I was in NYC or Long Island, we called it soda. When I moved to Western New York (Buffalo), not only did the people have a totally different accent, they called it pop. What is it in your neck of the woods?

I call it soda, and most people here also call it soda, the rest just call it by its name (ie Coke, Dr Pepper, Cheerwine, Sun Drop etc).

neither.

we call it pop here in south dakota, but sometimes i here soda and sometimes soda pop, i use them all depending on who i am talking to but ussually i use pop

First, In Boston - soda or tonic, second, NewYork, Maine, Vermont - soda, third Midwest and Moutains - pop

soda but we mostly call it by their names (mountain dew, coke, etc)

Here in Dixie everything is called Coke. So Orange coke is really orange soda.
I usually call it soda because people down here get confused and thing that you are saying pot not pop. Whats really sad is this was a couple of teachers.

I call them soda.

But I don't drink soda, I drink water instead.

I am a life-long New York State native, and I actually did a study on this in college! (seriously!)

I have lived in Waverly, New Paltz, Corning, Albany, Rochester, and NYC.
and my fiance is from Buffalo..I have the state covered!
laugh.gif

I grew up in Waverly, NY, which is on the NY/PA border between Binghamton & Elmira..we were firmly in "pop" territory, and I never heard it referred to as "soda" until college..
I went to SUNY New Paltz, in the Hudson Valley, (across the river from Poughkeepsie) and many of my college friends were from Long Island..they all grew up with "soda" and had never heard of "pop"!
So, by doing some research and asking many New York natives (college friends) from all over the state, I found out where the line is..
Buffalo, Rochester, Corning, Elmira, Waverly..all firmly "pop"..
Long Island, NYC, Hudson Valley, Albany..all firmly "soda"..
Syracuse, Ithaca, a mix! probably because of the large college popluations..
and also they are in the middle of the state.
So! there is a distinct pop/soda line that can be drawn through the middle of New York state..it runs from Oswego, through Syracuse & Ithaca, and down to Binghamton..west of the line is Pop, east of the line is Soda..
the further west away from the line you go the more "all pop" you are..to the point that Buffalo is ALL pop and no soda..
the further east from the line you get more and more soda you become..Long Island is all soda and no pop at all..
(the only area im not sure about is the Adirondacks..seems like they should more popish, but I havent surveyed there yet, so they could either)
near the line is a mix..thats where the blending of the two cultures occurs..
Scot

temp-POP.JPG

pop, unless your one of the weird people who move into this state(MI).

Soda. Either that, or the name of the drink itself.

Born in UP, Michigan; grew up in southern Ohio; have lived in Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Chicago; currently own property & spend time in coastal & interior Alabama; ATL, Georgia, mtns of N.Carolina and mtns of TN.  Have always called a beverage by it's name.  Coke ain't Pepsi ain't Dr. Pepper ain't Kool-Aid; tho Band-Aids are generic and Kleen-X (?) is generic.   Go figure each cultural traditions!    
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Feb. 01 2005,10:04)]I am a life-long New York State native, and I actually did a study on this in college! (seriously!)
All I can say is.... WOW!!! I wonder if Western PA (Pittsburgh) is like Buffalo and Rochester, as Philly is to NYC.

I remember being confused by hearing the word pop (to me it sound more like paaahp, and still does) at high school in suburban MI when I first went there... Oh the agony of enduring the MI soccermom accent!
laugh.gif
Out of high school the drinks were just specified, which made more sense to me than going around saying "paaahp", but that may have just been the kind of people I hung out with
biggrin.gif

Down here in Australia noone uses the names soda or pop. Generally just go by the name of the drink itself. Lumped together we just call them soft drinks.

Back