What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subs, hoagies, grinders, bombers...

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
In NYC & on Long Island, a hot sandwich is called a "hero". If it is cold, it is called a submarine sandwich. In Pennsylvania, I am hearing hoagies, grinders, and bombers. What is it in your area?

yumm....
i can go for a meatball here right bout now ^^
yup, what you say holds true for LI,
Hellz

There are subs, hot subs, and if it isn't cylindrical shaped bread (kinda like a French bagette) then it's just called a sandwhich. That's it. Kinda boring huh?

OMG! You eat heroes?

I live in nyc, i'll let that speak for itself. Interesting threads Jim.. lol.

Gyros in Chicago & parts of NY; subs or hoagies (but specified hot or cold) everywhere else I've ever been if on a 6" or 12" long "bun". Never heard of a bomber or grinder, as described for a sandwich!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 01 2005,10:25)]I live in nyc, i'll let that speak for itself. Interesting threads Jim.. lol.
They lower blood pressure from the serious ones and allow people to meet and make new friends.

Grinders seem to be native to southern New England.  A gyro is different - it's wrapped in a flatbread.  A hero, pronounced the same, has the long bread.

It probably isn't true anymore, but I think the names used to correlate with regional variations in ingredients.  When I was little, I liked subs and hoagies.  My family moved to Mississippi and I encountered po' boys, which are the New Orleans species.  I never liked them much because they were usually dripping mayo or some other gooey sauce.  Every little grocery and bar in New Orleans has outstanding red beans & rice and muffelettas, so po' boys are easily avoided.

I moved to CT as a high school senior and discovered grinders, which are the kings of sandwiches.  At face value, grinders don't seem very different from the other species.  Most come with the standard lettuce, onions, and tomatoes.  Maybe the difference is they also get provolone cheese, roasted peppers, and vinegar & oil.  Eggplant, meatball, and sausage grinders come with cheese and roasted peppers and sauce.  Egg & pepper grinders come with nothing at all.

But some places sell grinders that are really subs.  An easy way to identify such a fraud is they'll ask if you want mayo, mustard, or vinegar & oil.  If that happens, head for the door because a real grinder place would never ask.  It would be as if a bartender offered whipped cream or sprinkles when you ask for a beer.  Run.  The only questions a grinder place should ask after you order are whether you want it hot or cold and here or to go?

Grinders.... rarely Subs

Grew up in Pittsfield Massachusetts

Kirk
Fitchburg MA
ICPS since 1993

OOOO!!!
i could go for a Gyro right now ^^
tha best in all of new york state is Ali Baba's in Valley Stream, to get Gyros, no joke
Hellz

they just call them either cold or hot subs here. really boring! (i'm in tx) mmmmmmmmm.... a gyro does sound awsome right now!

They are called subs around here but occasionally hoagies although I know that's a more northern term. Grinder makes me think of teeth nashing so...ICK!

And I am all for dripping goo on my sandwiches. Mayo, mustard, oil, vinegar, spreads...any and all are welcome.
biggrin.gif
I love goo.
cool.gif

Specking of Gyros, the first and best one I ever had was in Cincinnati oh. I was working at Proctor and Gamble and the back gate was in a VERY bad neighborhood, the worse projects in Cincinnati. You really had to watch your back there.
Anyway, there was this little ghetto store there that made gyros. I had never had one, and it was one of the best sandwich I ever had. I still haven't found a place that makes gyros that good

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I am all for dripping goo on my sandwiches. Mayo, mustard, oil, vinegar, spreads...any and all are welcome.
biggrin.gif
I love goo.
cool.gif
No, I'm not going to respond to that.
confused.gif

Back