What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What non-cp "weeds" do you have?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
i was watering my lowland tank and after removing yet more arial roots from my vanilla orchids out of nepenthes pots i was wondering what "weeds" or PITA plants(not CPs like capensis) everyone else puts up with. i have three:

Vanillia plainifolia
Vanillia siamensis
Dischidia pectenoides

Where can you get vanilla orchids?

ANY way, I hate the sedge grass that comes from chiliean LFS!

i recieved the plainifolia as a cutting from a member here in trade for Utrics IIRC. the siamensis came of ebay. Vanillas are generally sold as foot long pieces of vine. plainifolia is one of the major 3 species used for making Vanilla extract so its easy to find. there are many many more species not used for commercial vanilla production and these can be harder to come by such as my siamensis. keep in mind most have to get ATLEAST 6 feet, more commonly 8 feet of vine before they will flower so unless you have a green house yah need to train them around something like a tomatoe cage.

as to the sedges, a small price to pay for such good stuff
smile_n_32.gif

I have little oaxis thingy that i grow (yes, on purpose) as companion plants for my neps. I just think that it looks fuller that way.

oh yeah i also get ferns growing out of some of the peat, not intentionally but they look pretty nice so i leave them

Clovers. Everywhere. I hate them. If I could get rid of them, I would, but it would probably entail burning my collection. I used to like them, too - they're pretty little plants on their own or in the garden. But when they get indoors... forget about it.
Say rattler, how often do your vanilla orchids flower? Does the smell ever get to you? I've never heard of someone keeping them as a houseplant... the only story I've really heard about vanilla cultivation is that most residents of Madagascar hate the smell, as Madagascar is a major vanilla producer and there's no escaping the scent. My friend Margarete gags at the taste or smell of vanilla, after living there for just a few years. I always thought it would be cool to have vanilla orchids until I heard about that.
~Joe

Ferns, lots of ferns

havent gotten them to bloom yet. recieved them as foot long cuttings, one the begining of summer, one at the end. both are about 2.5 feet long now. as quick as they are growing i expect blooms maybe by next year depending on when they normally bloom. i would expect the smell to get to yah if your constantly around it but for the occational bloom i prolly wont care.

awww... I want a vanilla orchid :-/
my weeds... well... sphagnum can be pretty annoying sometimes, but you can cut it back very easily.

Hmmm...

no weeds in my CP collection...

but I am fighting a horribible 'weed' like scourge'... you must give me sympathy.
smile.gif
not in my plant tank though...

Aiptasia7.jpg

the dreaded Aiptasia Anemone, kill one, get 20.  don't kill it, get 5 or 6... every day I reach into my tank with a syringe full of calcium carbonate and inject the little buggers, wait for them to die, and siphon off the dead material.. if I am lucky, it doesn't grow back as a colony where once there was one.  More often than not, I get the colony back. sigh... I am thinking of throwing out 300 bucks worth of live rock because of it...

my kingdom for weeds of the planty variety.

dont peppermint shrimp eat those? im not sure if they will eat adults but they do take care of the lil ones. investing what 30-40 bucks in 3 or 4 shrimp seems a better deal than tossing out $300 worth of live rock. course if some of your fish like the taste of shrimp its throwing $$ out the window

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Feb. 02 2005,8:49)]Where can you get vanilla orchids?

ANY way, I hate the sedge grass that comes from chiliean LFS!
I find that scalding LFS before using it does a good job of killing any hitch hikers.

Back