What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...myself.  *sheepish Austin Powers look*

I have recently (in the past 2 years) started growing CPs again, after a 20 year hiatus.

My first experience was with a VFT send from a comic book advertisement when i was 10.  I lived in Middlebury, Connecticut at the time, and i discovered a nearby bog with S. purpurea ssp. purpurea and D. rotundifolia.  I added to my collection from this bog (one plant of each, and yes, now i know i shouldn't have, but i was 10, and nobody told me otherwise.)  These plants survived in my care for 5 years, through a move to Massachussetts until one horrible summer day, when my parents put the plants outside in the sun for me when i was at summer camp, and forgot to take the cover off the terraria, and cooked them.

I went through the rest of high school, and college and graduate school without dabbling again, but I bought Peter D'Amato's book in 2001, and that rekindled my interest.

Upon moving to Houston TX in 2002, i started talking again about growing CPs, since the local climate would allow for growing many types year-round outside.  My wife found that a local Texas naturalist was giving a talk on CPs at a nearby nature center on Father's Day of 2003, and we went.  After the talk, he gave out small pots of cape sundews and VFTs... I got a cape sundew of the alba variety.

After we bought a house in September 2003, I decided to add to my collection.  From this naturalist, I bought the following:

* S. alata
* S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'
* S. flava (appears to be an all-green form)
* S. purpurea ssp. venosa
* S. minor
* U. gibba
* D. capensis (typical form)
* P. primuliflora
* N. 'Judith Finn'

In early summer of 2004, the Krogers all thoughout Houston received a large shipment of carnivorous plants, which were quite inexpensive, and very nice specimens.  To my collection, from Kroger, I added:

* D. muscipula
* S. x wrigleyana
* D. intermedia
* D. spathulata
* D. adelae
* N. x Coccinea
* N. x Miranda

(The two Nepenthes were quite spectacular... the Miranda had 12-15 cm pitchers.  They were on sale for under $15 each.  I am saddened to think how many may have been bought and promptly killed.)

In late summer of 2004, I took a family vacation to California, not far from Sebastopol, so I made a trek to California Carnivores, and added:

* D. binata
* D. multifida 'extrema'
* D. dichotoma
* U. livida
* U. bisquamata

Also, the local Lowe's has offered Cps in small plastic cubes.  I rescued a few of them:

* S. purpurea ssp. venosa
* Drosera of an as-yet undetermined species
* S. rubra (unknown ssp.)
* D. muscipula
* D. adelae (this, along with the VFT and S. rubra, were packaged in one large cube)
* D. californica (not sure how I will maintain cool soil when the weather warms up.)

I also joined the ICPS and received some seeds from their seed bank:

* S. oreophylla
* S. rubra ssp. alabamensis
* S. rubra ssp. gulfensis
* D. filiformis var filiformis
* D. rotundifolia
* D. capillaris

I now have a few seed trays with some of the ICPS seeds germinating (the remainder of the seeds I gave to my naturalist friend, since he is likely to get a better germination rate with them).  I also have more D. spatulata seeds than i know what to do with, and the P. primuliflora has been churning out plantlets like mad.

I've made numerous cuttings of the N. x Coccinea, which seem to have survived, but aren't yet showing much evidence of new growth.  Also, I've divided the U. livida several times, and am using it in some potted collections as a ground cover so that rain doesn't bounce the soil around.

The D. adelae I got at Kroger has grown prolifically, and i've made several cuttings from it that are growing nicely now.

On my desk at work, I have two pots containing:

* S. rubra (from Lowe's)
* S. purpurea ssp. venosa (from Lowe's)
* U. livida
* P. primuliflora
* D. capensis

My coworkers consider me somewhat odd.

Welcome back to the great world of CP's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 04 2005,2:39)]My coworkers consider me somewhat odd.
LOL! your not the only one with that problem. looks like yah got quite a start. welcome to the forums, this is a great bunch of ppl.

Sheridan, a Utric looney

Oh fabulous, another something-scott.... welcome!!!!! We also have jimscott... I like to call him jimscotscoot, which originated back in the chatroom days when we'd all pile into the board chatroom every night, and one time someone accidentally called him "jimscotscoot", and it stuck.

Embrace the Insanity!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Feb. 05 2005,2:36)]Oh fabulous, another something-scott.... welcome!!!!! We also have jimscott... I like to call him jimscotscoot, which originated back in the chatroom days when we'd all pile into the board chatroom every night, and one time someone accidentally called him "jimscotscoot", and it stuck.

Embrace the Insanity!!!!
Yes, another Scott. We are Legion.

I am guessing you weren't too fond of the X-Files?

Duuuuuuuude!!!! I'm the most obsessed fan on the planet!! Read my profile, man.. how could I possibly come across as NOT liking it?

Welcome to the forums man. As for FTG she is always adding some sorta something to the forums.... LOL Wow, you have a nice collection, and it sounds like your hobby was never a hobby but an addiction from the start. Well anyway, have fun.

There's also a Scottychaos.

Ah yes, chatroom... couldn't get in a word edgewise and full of typos.
smile_m_32.gif

He was teasing LOL! Definitely GOTCHA!

....Oh, he was? Alrighty then, that about explains alot -_^

Yeah, I'm slow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Feb. 05 2005,7:11)]Welcome to the forums man.  As for FTG she is always adding some sorta something to the forums....  LOL  Wow, you have a nice collection, and it sounds like your hobby was never a hobby but an addiction from the start.  Well anyway, have fun.
Yes, I'd say it was an addiction... it may have been dormant in my mind for 20 years, but I was always thinking about it.

I remember when I was very young, perhaps 8 or 9, looking at a book in a library of carnivorous plants... lots of pictures of VFTs and Nepenthes stick in my mind.

It was truly one of the most memorable moments in my life when I discovered the S purpurea and D rotundifolia in that Connecticut bog. I didn't know in advance they were there, but I recognised them instantly from books I had read.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Feb. 05 2005,6:32)]Duuuuuuuude!!!! I'm the most obsessed fan on the planet!! Read my profile, man.. how could I possibly come across as NOT liking it?
I also assume you thoroughly despise Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, and that book they wrote, as well.

smile_m_32.gif

hee hee

I got the book for my wife... pretty funny stuff.

My TV obsessions are pretty much everything Joss Whedon has done, especially Buffy.

And the new Battlestar Gallactica on SciFi.

Hi and welcome! You got yourself quite a collection there.

Look forward to talking shop.

Well hi there and welcome to the forums. Thank you for introducing yourself. You have come to the right place. We are all plant enablers and no one here will talk you out of your growing addiction. We encourage it! Muuuahahahahahaha!
biggrin.gif

You do have a good collection going there. I hope you stick around and join in the fun and learn some things and share whatever you want to share.

Suzanne/PAK

Yo sarraceniascott! Welcome to the forums.
I'm a nepenthes freak.

Flytrapgurl! You're politically incorrect! It is mentally challenged, or lacking of mental capacity. Not slow!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also assume you thoroughly despise Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, and that book they wrote, as well.

Can't get me this time -_^

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Flytrapgurl! You're politically incorrect! It is mentally challenged, or lacking of mental capacity. Not slow!

I am politically incorrect ON PURPOSE!!!! BWA!!!!! I call MYSELF slow, I don't have blonde hair, I wear more boys' clothes than girls' clothes, I like football, I HATE the New England Patriots, I brag about my first fall off a horse, I brag about injuries, I like Ramen noodles, I LOVED Pepsi Blue, I like beets, I listen to country music AND Avril Lavigne, and I have a massive crush on someone 31 years older than me (David Duchovny)!!! YEAH!!!!!

NEVER BE NORMAL!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Feb. 10 2005,2:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also assume you thoroughly despise Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, and that book they wrote, as well.

Can't get me this time -_^
What is it our tongue-tied president said?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... can't get fooled again!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Feb. 08 2005,2:37)]Well hi there and welcome to the forums.   Thank you for introducing yourself.  You have come to the right place.  We are all plant enablers and no one here will talk you out of your growing addiction.  We encourage it!  Muuuahahahahahaha!  
biggrin.gif

You do have a good collection going there.  I hope you stick around and join in the fun and learn some things and share whatever you want to share.

Suzanne/PAK
Thanks... And what does your sig line mean, and what language is it in?

Back