Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wal-mart vs. the pyramids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Feb. 12 2005,1:25)]Spokepeople for the company have emphatically stated that this is not union busting......
    yeah right!
    well then what excuse did they give for closing the store?

Scot

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, IIRC the reason was along the lines of 'a union at the store would make the operating methods of WM untenable and thus make the store unprofitable, so to avoid "losses" they hda to shut 'er down'
    Which sorta sounds like union busting in an odd way, somehow.... can't quite put my finger on it though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

But there will be some sort of legal challenge, it's in quebec and they have slightly different laws than we do in Ontario, but I'm sure there are methods of recourse available..... I would be glad if the same pattern happened all over Canada, and WM withdraws from our country in fear [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

But it should be interesting.... when I hear more about it I will post a link, the whole story just broke on wednesday (and I would be surprised if any media organization would mention this south of the border, it just stinks to high heaven)

Maybe the robinhood smiley mascot will be locked up in one of our white-collar "country clubs" for a while, maybe take a break from all the rollbacks

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a smart **** to RamPuppy or anyone else, just so you know, but I live in a small former Auto industry town much like Flint MI and it is pretty clear what's happening... when that many dollars get funneled out of your town bad things start to happen.... our municipality is on the verge of bankruptcy to the point where, for some folks in the know, it truly seems like our town might go out of business, as ridiculous as that sounds, and if that happens we won't even have the darn Wal Marts anymore 'cos we will not have roads or electricity or anything anymore.....
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wal-Martís decision to build in the shadow of the pyramid of the Sun is incredibly tasteless but I have to agree with Tony.
    Quote[/b] ]So yes it stings when lots of production jobs are lost here but on the upside consumers pay a lot less for many items. Which keeps more cash in their pockets to use for other endeavors, boosting other aspects of the US economy.
    Example: I recently purchased a ladder from Wal-Mart for $100 that was priced at $125 (same brand and made in America) at my local Ace hardware. I felt so good about saving the money that I promptly went out and spent every penny of it on a nice steak dinner and drinks at a restaurant on the beach.

Walmart creates jobs in its' stores, borrows money from our banks, moves its' merchandise by U.S. railroads and trucking companies and distributes the earnings to U.S. stockholders in the form of interest and dividends.

The world, "she is a changing" and we must change with it. If you are willing to adapt and work hard there is still no place in the world that you will be rewarded so handsomely as here in the U.S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]If you are willing to adapt and work hard there is still no place in the world that you will be rewarded so handsomely as here in the U.S.
    Couldn't agree more, Lauderdale! This is still the land of opportunity. But for how long? Climbing the corporate ladder at some mass conglomerate isn't my idea of American entrepreneurialism! And I'd rather enjoy those rewards in a town that isn't exactly the same as all the rest of the towns down the highway. I'd like to spend those rewards at the local hardware store, or at least have the option.

More than anything, I think the WalMart-ization of the country eats at its character, and ultimately crushes its spirit. Walmarts are machines, they don't allow for individuality, experimentation, and generally don't carry locally produced products. Many of the products there are mass-produced and made by women and children for pennies an hour under deplorable conditions. Sure, you save money, but so what? At what price? And for what? After they crush the local businesses, you'll only be able to patronize chain stores and restaurants. Just like in the next town over. And the next, and the next...

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And where did you hear they were using child labor to manufacture their products? If that's anywhere near true, I can see how the idea of child labor can be objectionable, but don't start preaching about women manufacuring products being wrong. I don't see anything in the constitution that says that women are not just as capable as men are to manufacture products, if not moreso. This is NOT the 1800s. Women are not any less capable of working than men are and shouldn't - and don't want to - be pitied just because they actually work as much as men do. I don't want to start an argument and get this topic closed, but let me warn you, I tend to get hostile over this, and I don't want to have to do that here.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and we all of course know that you won't get hostile! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

I have not seen any evidence that walmart is using child labour (the real issue) though I have no doubt that there are women out there making dismal pay in a forieng country (which I think was the point of what was said.)

That is a market economy. sad but true.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, sure, I'll believe women are getting minimal wage in some places, but that's no worse than men getting minimal wage. The minimal wage part is the issue, not the gender part. Besides, I don't give half a crap what the rumors are, I KNOW most WalMart workers get decent pay. There are probably just as many other stores that give minimal wage as there are WalMarts that give minimal wage.

Quote[/b] ]and we all of course know that you won't get hostile!
    *blank stare*
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123