What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most trusted news orginizations

Finch

Whats it to ya?
This is interesting, in a unofficial poll i conducted, it turns out that the news orginizations most trusted by their veiwers are the most biased and alling neatly with their veiws.

Now im gonna take a stab at it, but that certainly appeirs to be the case with fox news and a few others. As more and more tv veiwers migrate to shows that best reflect their veiws, unbiased news is becoming more rare because people appeir not to want it. I feel my news station is unbiased, but *shurgs* perhaps it is not.

I have also heard conservetive accusations about a 'libral' media. If 'Libral' they mean more libral than fox news, then theyd be right.

So thats what i feel about mass media today. whay are yout feelings on it?

I'm sick of the media... coming from a hometown with a very bad newspaper and disreputable press in general, I don't have much appreciation for it, especially after doing an internship at one of the TV news stations. It's all about fluff and giving people what they want to hear while expending as little effort as possible. I think it's a shame that so many people forgo good journalism in favor of a few extra bucks - I know there's a better balance. But, the press knows that they can delude the public for money, and so they do. To paraphrase John Stewart, happy capitalism, everybody.
A very interesting observation, Finch.
~Joe

PS - I might add, if you really trust the system of the press, then you should know not to trust any one report to begin with.

my own observation

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 10 2005,1:39)]I feel my news station is unbiased, but *shurgs* perhaps it is not.
let me just say this, there is no such thing as an unbiased media, they make the choice of what they will or will not show, therefor right there they create bias. Im not saying your news station is better or worse than others, im just saying that their bias does play into it, there bias probably lines up well with your point of view and your own biases.

Please do not take this personally, i am basicly just backing up your own opinion on bias in the media.

There are (at least) two variables when evaluating news: bias and accuracy. As ktulu correctly points out, every news source is biased. They have no choice but to be. The mere selection of what kind of stories to talk about is based on the priorities (or biases) of the news director.

The other variable is accuracy and professionalism. Given that there is a bias, is the story at least accurate? Is the information clearly presented in complete, honest form? Is there vigorous investigative journalism happening (as opposed to simply reading wire reports)? Are they free of conflicts of interests? (For example a station owned by a giant parent conglomerate not reporting bad news about the parent company.)

I'd say that picking a news source that reflects your bias isn't a bad thing, but picking a sloppy, inaccurate news source is. And there's plenty of both out there!

Capslock

Finch your observations are right as far as im concerned

Capslock, i couldnt agree more

there is no such thing as unbiased reporting, they preach it sometimes but yah know what happens if you write something totally unbiased, without any emotion? you get a rather boring story. although i have seen some pretty decent and fair point - counter point writing that was alright to read and about as unbiased as anything. never take a TV story at face value especially if its at all slanderous or something special interest as you are pretty much guarenteed not to be getting the whole story.

Joe sorry to hear about your local paper, i work for a decent small town paper that does its best to be unbiased , well untill you make enemies with the manager but generally that requires breaking some open meeting law
smile_m_32.gif

I get my news from a variety of sources on the web, generally i hit fox first, then MSNBC, and then CNN. After I am done with the major news sources, I can generally pick through the bias and innacuracies and know what's going on. I also have a few other smaller web sites that I go to as well. I am a pretty conservative guy, so I tend to gravitate towards FOX, but I have learned not to trust everything I hear, see, and read. If the story is important, it get's researched.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I get my news from a variety of sources on the web

That's the ticket.  For all of my news, I check on lots of sites.  I find it especially important to look at articles from outside of the country -it helps being able to read some German for this one
smile_n_32.gif
-.  If nothing else, I get an alternative view.  Really, the bottom line for me is coming to my own conclusions.  Often I'll have discussions on things as well, and since it's on the internet I see a wide variety of points made which allow me to find out what is really true, and what is not.  It's just silly to put all your trust in to one news source.

I mainly view CNN for regular boring news but I look at CNN, MSNBC, discovery, national geographic, and sometimes others for nature news.... and I listen to alan colmes on the radio ... which is fox.. but he's a liberal so...
anyway
I don't think the whole channel is biased but different programs are. Lou dobbs is obviously conservative, etc...

I know some people who've given up on US news and go to sources like the BBC primarily.

Yeah, I generally don't read the news much anymore unless I'm bored... I have a friend that reads lots of foriegn newspapers online and I just talk to her when I want to know what's up. :)
I know there are good news people out there - I have a good friend who works at CNN and several journalists in my family. Problems just start cropping up when people are thinking about costs and subscribers and profits; the whole thing gets deluded.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I get my news from a variety of sources on the web, generally i hit fox first, then MSNBC, and then CNN.  After I am done with the major news sources, I can generally pick through the bias and innacuracies and know what's going on.
I agree with this method.  Sort through the facts and come to your own conclusion.
As far as the BBC...that is one of the most biased news programs in the whole world...except Al Jazeera (spelling).

yeah, problem with alot of foriegn news sources is that alot will have a negative slant twords the US, granted its always a good idea to see what others are thinking and i check out British sites occationally

I run the gamut, from Drudge, CNN, BBC to Air America. Being an unapologetic liberal, I find the "news" from Faux News pretty comical (convicted felon Oliver North as a correspondent??), but that's just my bias. If the story is serious, it's best to cross-reference with several sources.

Capslock

I watched CNN during most of the 9/11 and Baghdad bombing stuff, but generally I only watch the news during that split second between me sitting in the recliner watching The X-Files and me stomping off to my room when my grandfather waltzes in and changes it to the news -_^ I get my news from the unapologetically liberal Daily Show. But you know this.

What is there to be more apologetic for then being an 'unapologetic' liberal?
smile_m_32.gif

Hey, I ain't apologized yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yeah, problem with alot of foriegn news sources is that alot will have a negative slant twords the US

IME there's not really slander against the US in a lot of news -that I check- from Europe.  Granted, you find  a lot of what media organizations don't want you to see in the US.  Really, of what I've seen in the past, it's really been more the opposite -not trying to start a flamewar...-.  I mean, it really depends on what you're reading about, since I read a lot about ecological/environmental stuff, I see a lot of the things that I don't seems to notice in the news here. E.g. Kyoto Protocol stuff -the U.S. not entering, while even Russia is... Note: I say even Russian because they've admitted that often times they don't have the resources to tend to ecological matters-, things concerning the EU and so on.  Besides, where else can I get my dose of stem cell research?  How about info in cloning -In the UK, the scientist father of the sheep Dolly just recieved a license to work on human cloning reasearch-?   Though, I try to keep an eye on everywhere...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]unapologetic liberal

uh-oh, never talk to anne coulter.

Back