What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slam dancing punk statue finished!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Here we go, all is done except for final cleanups filing before painting, unfortunately I suck at photography so the finer details will only be showing up on the painted piece...
goon1.jpg

goon3.jpg

goon5.jpg

goon7.jpg

goon8.jpg

goon9.jpg

goon10.jpg
goon12.jpg

goon11.jpg

goon14.jpg

This was my fastest heavily detailed project yet at 25 hours including baking and waiting for it to cool countless times.

I hope you dig it!
smile.gif

See, I usually don't post on threads with your works because... Works.. Pretty... My speak... No pretty. You get the idea. Really, AWESOME, though. I love that chain, the whole thing feels extremely dynamic. I can't WAIT to see if all painted. Congratulations on an awesome job... Another one
smile_m_32.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words! Doing this one just brought back all those memories from being 14 years old with my big green mohawk and zorlac skateboard! I will show it to the Circle Jerks band when I do their interview for battlehelm.com. If they're hip I'll release it as a very limited edition model kit. This year is their 25th anniversary of playing punk music and they still live!

I actually just got the small plastic chain just today. I had a hard time finding some for this scale of figure, so I had to order it from www.mrchain.com it's their smallest scale classic link chain (3/8") but turns out it's perfect for about a 1/6th scale/12" figures. I bought a lot so anytime I need chain I'm set! Shipping was still twice the price of this super light weight plastic chain...!
smile_h_32.gif

Swords, you amaze us with your work!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That figure is just so.... I don't know what word could describe it! Thanks for sharing!!

That's funny man, I was actually thinking about this project yesterday and wondering about the chain- I was thinking about your comments that you may chop him up and articulate him for distribution as a figure and was thinking that you'd have to go single-piece vinyl for the chain, if you wanted to keep the proper look....
But if you're keeping him as a model kit/statue, your solution looks pretty darn good, better get your file pronto, I'm curious to see what an actual finished piece of your work looks like (I bet you wouldn't mind seeing one either
biggrin.gif
)

Good work as always, bro!!

Great detail.
What material do you use to make them?
Any CP stuff in the future?

DANG! Swords, you are just gifted with the clay. No question about it.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get him finalized and painted (or at least started) over the next weekend. Gotta work thurs & fri night so no fun time til saturday!

If I were to make him an articulated fig I would just send a piece of unglued chain along with him like the spawn toys. I might have to alter the chain a bit by putting a paring line and some rust or something on each link so it obliterates the "stock chain" look. But it surely won't be an action fig at the price of production. Would be fun though!

Elgeko,
This project was Polymer Clay (Super Sculpey) which anyone can get at a good sized craft shop like Michaels or **** Blick Art Materials. It goes from clay to hard plastic in your home oven. I've also used Aves Apoxie Sculpt on some projects (non-bake turns to stone overnight) and Castilene/Azbro toy waxes carved with a hot pen. That stuff has to be molded and cast in liquid plastic before you can paint a finsihed project done in the wax.
Anyway, it's unfortunate but CP model kits didn't sell too well. People prefer men in tights with big muscles and capes! I released this Nepenthes Inermis model kit a year or so ago:
inermis1.jpg

inermis2.jpg

inermis3.jpg

I sold enough N. inermis kits to pay for the mold and packaging (color sticker on cardstock box) but the interest wasn't there enough to pay for the next kits mold. I'm still hip to do a series of carnivorous plant trap reference kits but I probably won't do any more CP kits unless I got hired to produce them for someone else - who'll have the joy of trying to market them which takes lots of time/money.

Back