Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I move to make everyone in the US labeled American. From now on if I call some US citizen other then American please someone hit me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I also would fight so that groups like the KKK have a right to voice their opinions, even though I disagree with them.
    but the KKK have been known for hurting, killing and even setting people on fire..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    history of the KKK... I haven't actually read it. I just skimmed through because I was in a hurry to complete my notecards (which she didn't check! ARGH!) but at first glance it looks interesting. http://www.iupui.edu/~aao/kkk.html
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our nearby ATM gives selections in English, Spanish, and what I think is Portuguese. There are a lot of people from Portugal and Brasil in the area. Unless I'm doing a complicated transaction, I always choose Portuguese. The language is a mystery to me, but I muddle my way through. I figure the bank keeps track of language selections and I want to encourage multiple languages. I think that's a good thing.

I hate to make inflammatory generalizations (I actually don't and just say I do), but the people I know personally who are the most vocal about requiring everyone to use English have only a passing familiarity with it themselves.

As an aside, I think all country clubs should be shut down, whether they're full of racist swine or not. Let natural succession take care of the land and the water traps can become CP habitat.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, let me say I continue to be proud of all of you for such an intelligent and witty, and amazingly, even somewhat humorous discourse on a very heavy subject. I think I speak for all the mods when I say that.

Some points:

I have no problem with the idea that if you are an american citizen you should learn and use English in your public speaking and transactions. I think it's rude for instance, to talk in spanish (since I live in San Antonio) in Walmart, I don't speak spanish but my wife is very fluent, and she has heard people brazenly talking about others in the store thinking they were going to be understood. One time she caught a couple talking about us, I had given my wife a hug and the man said something to the effect of "get a room" in spanish, my wife informed him, in spanish, that we had one at home and intended to use it when we got there. That shut him up real fast. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] but you see my point, on the other hand, many mexican familys come to San antonio to shop, and I don't expect them to know english, so, it is generally something that grates my nerves, but I just let slide because I know it's stupid on my part.

Also, I think racial profiling has a few arguments going for it (a very few) for instance, it can make a targeted search for a terrorist more simple. Take the recent news that two chinese terrorists were suspected of trying to get into the country with radiologicals for a dirty bomb, would you want the US border patrol to be stopping every chinese person trying to cross the border? I do.

As far as using it in department stores and airports, we know Ashley judd steals, not only caucasian, but rich, so no go there, and we had a white guy try and blow up a plane with his shoes, so, a no go there. As far airports go, I am all for 'equal opportunity discriminator' nervous and suspicious people should all get the invasive probing.

Right now we are at a point where we don't have the manpower to discretely 'scan' or 'image' every person crossing a border or walking through an airport, the technology is there but it is expensive, someday, hopefully we will have technology that can ensure our safety by discretely investigating everyone in high security or vulnerable areas, but not today, which is why rough shod techniqes like racial profiling are still used.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let me say this though, and i have had agreement from many blacks or african americans what ever you wanna call them, there are groups that discriminate against the average white male too. i know when applying for college i just to see if it made a diff. i put that i was african american in a search to see if i would get more scholorships. i dont remember the exact number but there were well over 100 more scholorships that i qualified for by simply changing one variable. also i know people who are white, were born in africa, speak 2 differnt african languages in addition to english but were turned down for scholorships open to "african americans" because they were white.

now im not saying that these people dont deserve the scholorships, but why is it ok to be racist to the majority while its a crime if you are racist twords any minority?

just some thoughts i had.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes forget just how racist the act of law enforcement can get... it's really unfortunate. Police have to be very utilitarian. They can't afford to hold onto lofty ideals when their lives are on the line.

We know race can't possibly have anything to do with crime on its own. But what can is A) poverty and the resulting desperation, and in some cases B) the human tendancy to emulate those most similar to you in order to "belong".

Since the majority of poor people are black (with hispanic closing in behind), by having a certain skin color a person is, in a way, wearing a "There's A Good Chance I'm Poor" sign... making racial profiling make "sense" in a sad, crappy, utilitarian sort of way. If it were somehow hypothetically more obvious who was poor and uneducated and who wasn't, race wouldn't even enter the picture.

And since the myth that race defines you is so prevalent in people's minds... I imagine there are many young black people in these poor neighborhoods who assume these criminal acts are the actions of black people rather than the actions of desperate hopeless-feeling people. And they feel that that's the role they're destined to fill in the future... when they could have found success if they'd looked past these superficial similarities in choosing their future paths. You almost have to wonder if celebrating race rather than discounting it has done these kids more harm than good.

I'm not saying this is how it always happens of course... just envisioning little scenarios that encourage the awful cycle to repeat. I sincerely hope someday we can find a way through this imbalance. History appears to be the cause... and maybe as that history gets pushed further behind us things can be allowed to progress. Once race and poverty are no longer connected, that sort of racial profiling will become useless (more useless, I should say).

And no I don't think all poor people are criminals... I think that crime comes from desperation, and there's a lot of desperation that comes with poverty, especially without the education to help pull you out of it. There are plenty of ways to transcend desperation when you're poor (and plenty of ways to find desperation when you aren't). Just have to clarify that because I know how people jump on these things in threads like this.

Again, a lot of this whole mess seems to come from people's inability to mentally detach superficial traits and character, even within themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 15 2005,12:04)]now im not saying that these people dont deserve the scholorships, but why is it ok to be racist to the majority while its a crime if you are racist twords any minority?
    "Positive racism" is what I hear it called.

Personally, the financial side of this phenomenon doesn't especially bother me. The majority of poor people being black isn't a coincidence from a historical perspective... so I guess it makes sense to encourage the additional help (for now). I haven't done enough reading on this stuff to form a solid opinion on it.

It's the social side of it that's always really bothered me though. Growing up as a white male it was hammered into my head that I didn't get to be special. All these people of different "races" and "cultures" and "heritages" were getting celebrated and applauded... meanwhile I was being taught that I didn't get to have an identity like this (not that I want one now)... that I was a dime a dozen... that I was completely expendable and replaceable and didn't get to have a face or a voice that anyone would listen to. I seemed to be born into invisibility.

I've seen through a lot of that as I've grown up, but I have to admit that all of this helped do some measurable damage to my self-esteem as a kid. And I knew nobody would care, since I wasn't entitled to any concern.

Just the way it goes I guess.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast