Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Racism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's odd how some people will selectively take responsibility for the lives of their ancestors. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone who spent a great deal of their life demanding compensation for the mistreatment of their ancestors found out that they were a direct descendent of a mass-murderer. I bet they wouldn't hesitate to say, "Whoa, don't look at me, I didn't have anything to do with that." [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (altrade212 @ Feb. 16 2005,5:01)]well its diffrent when the other race dident go thru anything..your right i do understand your point but i feel like, wouldent you give your friend some slack if hes been thru so much?
    ok but i am a large part irish, and as white people go they were probably the discriminated against group there was. Where are the irish american scholorships, where is all the slack that should be given to the irish decendents? im not trying to start a fight here im just saying that it hasnt only been blacks who have been discriminated against.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also i hate to say this but for alot of groups they bring the racism on themselves. where i work, i have noticed alot of times if a minority is denied a return for any reason, they instantly first accuse you of dening them because of their race then they say you are accusing them of something regardless of what the reason given is. This is an action that just furthers the preception of racism it isnt always something that is imposed by other but can be self-inflicted.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we all woke up tomorrow morning, the same color skin, the same color hair, the same color eyes, the same heritage, the same religion and the same sex...by noon some of us would find a reason to discriminate against the guy standing in line next to us. After all, some of us would be conservatives and some would be liberals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this side of the world, we see more of racism against people with darker skin. Caucasians are often deemed to be of a higher class and to make it worse, people in the service line actually behave like it's true. Whites get better treatment in shops and restaurants.

I grew up thinking that the whole of the western world are having a better time than the rest of us but recently I found that racism is not alwasys white-versus-yellow-and-brown but it can be the other way around. A friend's father-in-law is french and he lives in Mauritius. There, he has been a target of racism all his life! The locals there have made his life quite unbearable. Imagine taxes going up by 150 folds! And private land taken away with no compensation!! He is not rich and soon he may have to give up his only home there. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]well its diffrent when the other race dident go thru anything..your right i do understand your point but i feel like, wouldent you give your friend some slack if hes been thru so much?
    not only did the other race didn't go through that (in this case whites... although I'm not white... but even if I were...), they were the cause for what happened to blacks.
    BUT that doesn't matter. You shouldn't pay for your ancestors did (should you?) nor should you get benefits for what others of your race went through etc... I think you should get treated equally no matter what your race is/was doing as long as you're not doing that.
    and sure, I'd help my friend, but a whole race is not my friend and the individuals weren't the ones that went through anything.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but people need to live up to their ancestors. Many peoples ancestors fought and died to accomplish what we have now. It's not great at times but at least in the US we can change that. I do not think you should be allowed to complain about racism if you do not excercise your rights (voting, etc) inorder to change things.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I was given the opportunity to cultivate a friendship with a gal who helped me out with a digital camera issue. During the course of conversation it came up that she had taken a flight to North Carolina and when she got off the plane, she noticed a few impolite stares. At first I thought it was about typical guys, looking her over. But she said they were stares of hatred. I'm thinking, why would anybody be looking at her that way? I didn't know it at the time, but she is second generation Chinese. I was flabbergasted at the non-verbal treatment.