Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Racism

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I have no idea why anyone would WANT to be veiwed as a redneck. Personally, it reminds me of an uneducated whitey. Along these lines, I would consider myself redneckphobic. Afterall, why would I intentionally surround myself with unintelligence. Perhaps others have a differing veiw of "redneck". To each their own.
    Apparently you're not listening to me. That's the stereotype everyone has developed about rednecks. "Redneck" does not mean "unintelligent". That's just the stereotypical view of looking at it. A redneck is someone who is proudly not high-class or stuck-up. Apparently you did not read my whole post or you would have realized that what you just said is suggesting that you're calling me stupid.

My anthem is the Gretchen Wilson song "Redneck Woman". Just download it and listen to it. MP3 (scroll down to "Redneck Woman")
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not arguing with what you choose to call yourself or relate to yourself. I am saying it is an epithet no matter how you look at it. Thats like saying n***er is a point of veiw. It's negative any way you look at it. Whether you choose to associate it to yourself is another thing entirely. While alot of black folks do use it (but with a instead of er at the end) it is still a negative word and not used by any other race. It is also the same as being proud to be "white trash". You may be proud of it, but it is still a negative word.
    Think of it this way. While you may be ok with being called that, if a black dude called you a redneck would you still think hes just complimenting you? I think probably not even if for the sake of argument you say it would not offend you. I sure as hell would be mad.
    I'm not criticizing you, Ok?

Joe

P.S. If a name or phrase cannot be used across the board by all players then it is probably offensive at least to most people that it is directed at.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, "redneck" is negative for those of you who aren't rednecks, because of the popular stereotype people have of rednecks. I'm just making my point that "redneck" does not mean "stupid". And I bet you didn't go to that link, did you.
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but I know of and have heard the song before. The thing is I am not picking on you it just happens that we are discussing racism and epithets. I was just pointing out that even these sometimes acceptable names are not really because they can only be used by the same race/color without being considered an attack. The redneck thing was just a mention in my real intention in the post.

Joe

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with that. The only thing I have a problem with is you declaring that rednecks are "uneducated whiteys". Being against rednecks is exactly the same as being against blacks. It's the same as racism. It's all being against a particular people just because of preconceived notions and stereotypes.
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry! I already said I'm redneckphobic. BTW I am Irish/Scotish/English American or Whitey if you prefer.

I'm gonna just drop it. Apparently we are not understanding each other. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the problem with trying to un-derogatize derogatory terms. One could make up another word that means exactly the same thing and no one would have a problem with it in the slightest... so I guess it's an issue of semantics more than anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the hell is a redneck anyway? i hear it all the time..but what is the actuall meaning, who is it getting at?