What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecological subtitutes for cps poting soil

Hello All. Lately ive become more aware of Ecological living and mainly on the main point of it i think the locality of what you use. I saw allready few people talking here befor on subtitutes for wild collected Sphagnum peat moss. And i was wondering what could i use instead of it wich i can geat near me and produce my self (like you can produce you own compost). I live in Israel and i saw people here talking before on useing coconut fiber intead of peat moss, Well is it composted first? We have many date palms in Israel wich have a lot of fiber around thair leafs and trunk, Do you think it could be used like coconut fiber? What process does it go threw before you can use it?
Also i was wondering if you could grow some plants and make compost out of thm that would be nutriant low and could be a subtitute mybe after rinsing?
Sand we have a lot here in Israel so taking left overs from here and there is a solution for the Unorganic matter of the soil contnet.
Any way i would apriciate any comment abouts subject and sorry for my not so good of an Engilsh

All the best

Yoav

Coconut fibre tends to break down into a mushy mess after a short time and isn't very suitable as a peat substitute.

The only peat substitute I know of is Moorland Gold, available in England. Even that is still peat, albeit collected in a non-harmful way as it is washed down naturally and collected.

For the health of your plants, it is worth sticking with sphagnum peat as the main part of your mix. Use sand and perlite as well, but you'll still need the peat.

CP growers only use a tiny proportion of the peat that is harvested. It is gardeners that spread tons of it on their gardens that drive the market more. As long as you don't do this, I don't think there is a need to feel guilty!

Well unless you make a ton of bogs (going on 12 cubic feet)

Back