Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you get hooked on cps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I always had a passion in plants ever since I was little ( do not know how the interest in plants began) but in third grade, I went to an asian food market with my family. Upon arrival, there was a tray of VFT and S. Purpurea to the left of me. I left the storeto ask my mom if I could buy one then when entering the store again, I saw my brother had gotten one. My mom has agreed as I went to pick out a plant and purchased it later. From there on my interest in CP had rocket but my first VFT had not. It lived 2 or 3 years and 7 months WITHOUT dormancy then the plant had collapsed. From there on, I had killed several VFT, obtained my first Sundew, Nepenthes and so on....

But from there on, I had successes and failures of growing these amazing plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted a VFT when I was little. My mom thought fly bodies woul be everywhere and refused to get me one. A few years ago I got one as a birthday present. On a trip to orlando to visit family friensd I say Tony Camellari's book at Barns and Noble. I bought the book to since it said VFTs were easy to grow. When I returned home my VFT had died. Fortunatly the pictures were so, so shiny at first and I knew I had to get another type of Cp. I researched in the Library and wrote to what seemed like a thousand nuseries and cp societies. Only California Carnivores, Lee's Bg and Peter Pauls cared to write back. Of course being cheep I ordered from LBG first. One day I will order from California Carnivores though. One day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I've always had a passion for NATURE since i was tiny. my aunt always tells me the story of how when i was little she and others asked me if i wanted to go to the sierra (it's basically woods) and I said they didn't even have to ask. That I ALWAYS wanted to go :P
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandfather was my biggest plant growing influence. He took me to a local greenhouse where you could rent a plot 4'x4' for $60 a year (1978). They showed us lots of techniques for various plants but only experimented a tiny bit with VFT's and Sundews there.

After a six year stint in the Navy, I located a listserv totally by accident on Carnivorous Plants (1992). I conversed with some people there and before I knew it, a kind Cp'er from North Carolina sent me a box with 18 exotic cp's that I'd never seen before.

I've never forgotten that generosity and realize that's the spirit of most people growing CP's. Always help out the newbie and answer those questions!!

Kirk
    Fitchburg, Mass.

What was torture is finding out about all the CP's in exotic places I'd recently visited in the Navy but never seen (Australia, New Guinea, Singapore, Thailand, Phillipines etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive always been a plant nut. i think its genetic. ppl still coment on how my grandfathers yard was absolutly stunning and he has been dead 20 years. on the other side my grandfather was a farmer, he retired 4 or 5 years ago. i have always had house plants. i killed a small number of CPs when i was younger, capensis, VFT, a Sarr.....the usual and never really gave them much of a second thought. about 2 and a half years ago my now fiance' said she loved orchids, and since she insists she has a black thumb and she knows how well i have grown plants in the past she insisted i try orchids for her. well i found out i could grow and flower them about as easy as most plants i had tried in the past. so one day while searching for a new orchid at a greenhouse a couple towns over i ran across a Nepenthes on a clearence stand cause it had no pitchers. being fairly well read i knew what it was but not how to take care of it do to lack of info on Nepenthes care in the main stream. anyways it was about 2 feet in diameter and priced at $9, who could resist? within a week of that purchase i stumbled onto these forums. got enough info to get the thing to pitcher, it turned out to be a 'Miranda' with large colorful pitchers. i was hooked. after that i think schoalty sent me a plug of U. livida, those lil flowers got me hooked on that group which now comprises half the CP species i have. Tamlin sent me some pygmy Drosera gemmea which i got started and made my first major mistake of improper labeling. i still have that pot of mixed unknown pygmys. ive been dang careful ever since. from there i went downhill fast. i now have a decent sized collection, quite impressive i think for just 15 months or so in the hobby and i hope to double the number of Utrics and Genlisea i own by next winter.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] I went to Wilmington one day and looked EVERYWHERE on the beach (LOL... shut up! I was stupid!)
    I know you wouldn't think that there are cp's within miles of an ocean. I have seen them very close to the beach. I have a map from my gps, of a site that has vft's, pitcher plants and sundews. This site is just outside Wilmington. The site is on an island, one side the ocean is .548 miles away. On the other side it's only .233 miles away.

My pic hosting site won't accept the map because of it's file type. If somebody can host it for me I'll send it to them, so I can put it up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh really? cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i think its genetic
    lol... i must be a mutant. My mom kills tons of plants and my dad doesn't care much.
    my mom always liked nature a little bit but i brought her into the dark side lol.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12