What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

I know i'm just asking for trouble here, but...

I think sleep is a time when the brain goes over all of the new information processed throughout the day. It is also a time when the brain converts short term memories in to long term memories. It is also a state when the body uses less energy to stay conscious, so it can spend time fighting off diseases and infections. It also allows the body to bide it's time, and allow it to save energy for when it matters during the daytime, for hunting, building, etc.

why would you be asking for trouble?
those ideas sound perfectly reasonable to me..

I would like to know why certain people suddenly pop into your dreams for no apparent reason..
I had this friend in gradeschool/highschool, Greg, havent seen the guy once since highschool graduation 18 years ago.
havent even thought about the guy in untold years.
suddenly he is in a dream a few nights ago..we were in the highschool cafeteria, just chatting at a cafeteria table..what is up with that??

Scot

I'm definitely in favor of sleep! Someday I would like to achieve 8 consecutive hours of it.

For some reason it reminds me of an anecdote. About 30 years ago the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was being interviewed, after going 0-14 for the season. During the interview he was asked about the execution of his team. He said he was in favor of it.

I never get enough.
smile_h_32.gif

Sleep.. Is... Good....

Scottychaos, i am wondering the same thing. And why do other things pop in to your dreams too? We are reading the Lance Armstrong book in english class, and last night, i dreamed that i was in a doctor's office getting screened for cancer with a "manogram".

Also, i would like to get a consistent amount of sleep. Sometimes i'm lucky to get 3 for the whole night, others, my record is 13 straight hours.

What do you guys think that sleep actually DOES? What purpose does it serve?

Ughhh.. I wrote a story about sleep.... 4000 words, wonderful story tells about how a man's subconsious kills him... well it has some language and I dun cuss anymore so I wouldn't feel right giving the link...
Anyway, subconsious I think of as a diff. personality, or person. Like you're actually two people, only one of them is just a script writer.
Sleeping is when those two meet- its also temporary escape from the world of humans.
Sleep is a good way to do somethin non damaging when you're angry or depressed... I tried to relate this to my friend yesterday but he had a better time smashing someones car. Oh well.

Hmm... Interesting stuff. I never thought about that before.

Since some people define hobbies as something you enjoy and never have time for, I'd have to say sleeping is my hobby.

But overall, I'm pro-sleep.

I wonder if anyone else experiences this when they drem.

Just an example: A dream starts off, and one of the charachters is say, my father in law. Over the course of the dream, my father in laws 'physical' appearance in the dream is replaced with faces like Tommy Lee Jones or Harrison Ford, my brother, my dad, you name it, it doesn't fall into any one category, though, male charachters stay male, female stay female... I have also had dreams that shift 'time' for instance, It may start out as something in an '1800's' setting, and either end in the 3000's or perhaps my mind will just pop something in for convienience.

The other night I was having a twisted little dream that a werewolf type monster (that was always a werewolf, so it wasn't a lycantrhope) lived under a bridge near a house I was living in in the 1800's. This creature got homicidaly angry when it heard loud noises, so, aka the village, loud sounds around the house were as bad as the 'red' in the movie. One night something broke or something and the creature came into the house looking to kill someone, and there I am on the landing of a stair case in a wheelchair (curiously I was not wheel chair bound throughout the rest of the movie, and amazingly, I was able to wheel myself up and down stairs (there is one for dream logic) anyhow, because I new it didn't like loud sounds and of course, this unfolded in typical hollywood fashion where the creature allows me the time I need to make good my plan and escape (Lol) I open up my bag of ruffles potatoe chips and dump them on the landing, I scurry up the stairs and the creature follows, but stops of course to cover it's ears and howl when it starts stepping on potatoe chips. (Is ruffles beaming 'it's so crunchy' advertisements into my dreams?
smile.gif
of course, dad, as tommy lee jones comes out and blows the sucker away with a MIB cricket and the dream moves on into more freaky reality...

I should also point out that I typically am up for 24 hours, sleeping for 18 to 24 because of my work schedule, maybe my mind is punishing me for my schedule.

Sleep is a waste of time. If only they could figure out how to make us like plants then we would not have to sleep. Everyone would also be outside a lot more so there would be no more "fat Americans"

actually sleep isn't a waste of time. Sleep is when you grow the most, your immune system gets stronger, you go over things so you learn. that's why you do better at things after you've had a good night's sleep... like when I was taking drivers ed. The first day I did horrible but then I slept and did WAAY better... your brain goes over the things you did that day and reinforces the pathways of the memories so you remember things better and do them better too.
anway didn't anyone read my link?

Well I would tell about my typical dreams but I do nto think anyone would enjoy them. Unless you like Arnold + Cps + random people who are always in the dreams + ideal friend + ideal wife person + Buffy the Vampire Slayer + Anne Rice books + nature + weird themes. I will not continue

Ohh yeah thats all wraped in one

They did a study and found out that the longer someone goes without sleep, the more toxins build up in the body, and after a while, you will inevitably die, since those toxins are somehow only eradicated during sleep. Your immune system will also decline with extended sleep deprivation, since most things done that have anything to do with the immune system are done during sleep.

Nobody really knows what causes dreams, but they think it's just your mind's thoughts during sleep, but I doubt that, because I dream about stuff that my conscious mind isn't even capable of sometimes. Like once, I had a dream where I was in some kind of store with high shelves, and high up on one shelf was a painting of a herd of horses, and this painting looked exactly like a picture I had looked at that very day, maybe 10 hours before I went to sleep. Down to every detail, it was that picture. As with anybody else, my conscious mind does not have the capacity to remember a picture down to every exact detail, right in my head, but it happened in that dream, leading me to believe that the human mind is much more detailed, accurate and sharp during sleep than it could ever be consciously.

Most of my dreams are about something definite, but are really random and weird and don't make sense in some areas. Last night I remember dreaming that we were moving. Why, I don't know. But I remember putting the stuff in the minivan, and I remember my CPs. I actually had to put the greenhouse in the car (I have no idea how I managed that), and then I remember bringing the fluorescent tank out, but instead of how it really is (gravel in the bottom for better water retention and all the plants in trays), the plants were not in trays and there was no gravel and there was several inches of distilled water in the bottom. Then, later in the dream, I remember looking around the empty house, and it was dark, and the wicker/glass table in the dining room was still there for some reason, and I dreaded leaving. Then I woke up and realized it was a dream.

Later, after I went back to sleep, I remember going horseback riding. It was a trail ride at the ranch, with the ranch owner, Shirley, and my grandmother (...O_O...). I remember, towards the end, we were in a wooded area, and I thought Shirley had gotten way ahead of us, and my grandmother told me to go ahead in the direction Shirley went and that she would catch up, so I went ahead at a lope (the gait in between a trot and a gallop, referred to as a "canter" in English riding), ducking lots of banana spiders in the trees (which really does happen alot). I remember ALMOST waking up at one moment, but I was still in the dream, and I remember somebody saying "One of the biggest human fears is that there are spiders in your hair." Then I went deeper into sleep and remember coming out of the woods and turning around and looking, and I saw Shirley coming out behind me, about 30 yards back. I told her I thought she got ahead of us, so I sped up. I don't remember anything after that, but later in the dream, I remember Shirley again, saying something to someone (maybe my grandparents) about me being an unusually good rider, and then I remember being in the car, driving somewhere, and we stopped at a small, old-fashioned store or something, and suddenly I was riding a horse instead of in the car, and I stopped at a hitching rail and got off. I remember walking through this place.. I was wearing my Western boots, that's all I remember.

"Dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
—Fox Mulder

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For some reason it reminds me of an anecdote. About 30 years ago the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was being interviewed, after going 0-14 for the season. During the interview he was asked about the execution of his team. He said he was in favor of it.

o_O

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They did a study and found out that the longer someone goes without sleep, the more toxins build up in the body, and after a while, you will inevitably die, since those toxins are somehow only eradicated during sleep. Your immune system will also decline with extended sleep deprivation, since most things done that have anything to do with the immune system are done during sleep.

Really? whered u hear that because i know of several cases of cronic insomnia in wich those people wer unable to get true sleep for years

Science class. Besides, there's this certain chemical which is normally only produced during sleep, which you need, and I'm pretty sure there's an injection of this chemical you can get that makes up for a lack of sleep.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Feb. 17 2005,5:34)]Science class. Besides, there's this certain chemical which is normally only produced during sleep, which you need, and I'm pretty sure there's an injection of this chemical you can get that makes up for a lack of sleep.
And what would that be?
smile.gif

Plants sleep too

probably seratonin.

Anyone who's done their homework on body building, lifting weights, exercise, so on, knows that when you lift the weight your breaking down muscle, the real action of building muscle occurs when you sleep.  (sort of, studies show if you take a protien shake within an hour of working out you will build more muscle because more building blocks are present, so you start re-building right away, but the vast majority of your muscular development takes place during sleeping hours)

When I was lifting weights a while back (need to seriously get back into that) I would wake up in the middle of the night and slam ap rotien shake to keep my body fueled for building muscle, I slapped on 3 pounds (of muscle) in one week before...  was sleeping a lot too! ;)

Back