Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New england cps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey does anybody know of any cps (especially pitcher plants) that are native to new england(or at lease cold hardy) to my area, im in a area that ranges from 5-6a and i know of a place nearby that has pitcher plants growing in the wild, but i have not found them in any nursreys! can anybody send me some seeds or plants? (i prefer established plants). beacause you see i put a pond in my backyard last spring and this year (with my new found intrest in cps) i hope to put in a bog garden next to it with bog plants and hopefully some cps that will survive the winter! i would offer a trade but i dont have any cps except for the lone vft i have so far. can anybody help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi! im going to update my info, i have found the pitcher plants that the near by gardening place grows in the wild. they are sarracenia flava, sarracenia leueophylla, sarracenia rubra, and of course any other cp that can go in my bog garden!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea ssp. purpurea, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, D. filfiormis ssp. filiformis. Check out the NECPS page I think it is www.NECPS.org (New England Cp socitey)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moved from the trade forum...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Z5,
    sarracenia flava, sarracenia leueophylla, sarracenia rubra
    do NOT grow wild in New England!
    they cant take the cold..
    they are South East USA natives..

although! there have been reports of people sucessfully growing many "southern" CPs outdoors in New England!
    (outdoors all year)
    including some VFT's in vermont! so it CAN be done..but it requires VERY heavy mulching, and you could lose an entire bog if a winter is particulary harsh..
    those outdoor bogs are the exception, not the rule.
    personally I wouldnt risk it.
    I tried keeping a small bog of S. flava and VFTs outdoors all winter a few years ago..they all died.

the only sarracenia that is native to New england and can definately handle the cold is Sarracenia purpurea.
    they grow in the wild all the way up into Canada.
    so that one is good.
    no other sarracenia grow in the wild north of Virginia..actually I think North Carolina is the northernmost state for the rest of the Sarracenia except S. purpurea.

some drosera (sundews) can also handle the cold.
    D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia are northern natives.

to grow all other CPs you need someplace you can provide a COOL winter dormancy but not a FREEZING winter dormancy..
    check out this thread to see how I deal with my plants here in Rochester, NY.
    I have about the same climate as you.

My Webpage

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Scott,

With the proper mulching, any healthy North American CP can make it through the NE winter. I did a craptacular job mulching my plants last year, and only the few that were sick didn't make it. Ironically, that was the purpurea!

Z5, as someone already mentioned, checkout www.NECPS.org. That's the "local" cp organization (of which I am a member). Don't know how close you are to Providence, RI, but I make the treck from NY a couple times a year.

Tre's suggestions are all good. There are also, I beleive, some pings and utrics that are native, but don't ask me to name them!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    schloaty,
    yes, I have read a lot about "northlanders" keeping sucessful bogs! and I am anxious to try it myself!
    the only reason I havent yet is because I live in an apartment building and dont yet have my own yard! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    but that will change this year! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I still wouldnt try it with ALL my plants, but I would make a big outdoor bog and keep maybe 10 plants in that first winter, see how they do..then if it works risk some more plants!
    I would still worry about a particulary harsh winter.
    we can have spells of a week or two with SUB ZERO temps..
    thats cold!
    and just the sheer length of our winters are much longer tha the southern Sarrs are used to..
    outdoor plants here have no growth at all for 5 solid months.
    southern Sarrs are used to 3 months at the most..
    but! I know some people have done it!

the ones I tried to keep outdoors were in a "minibog" on my balcony..mulched with leaves, but still...that isnt NEARLY the amount of protection a true bog in the ground would have..
    so thats why my experiement failed I think..the bog wasnt in the ground. not enough protection.

have you kept VFTs outdoors in the bog all winter?
    scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, cool, all this great! i need as much help prepareing. thnaks for correcting my mistakes whoever mentioned the fact about me being wrong about the pitcher plants in new england, all i know is that they grow all the species i mentioned in a woodland bog and they seem to be doing a good job of it (even if it is a small piece) unfortunatly its dosent seem there are many wetlands around where i live any more (which is marlboro mass. which is about 30 miles west of boston, its a strange place cuz it seems to stradle the zone 5- zone 6 line) its sadens me to see no wetlands! i have a small swamp across of house and it has all the conditions right for cps ( the skunk cabbage seem to like it) but no cps! the only place were i have seen cps in the wild in massachusetts is the place i desribed, its the "garden in the woods" in sudbury(which is right next to me) and is matained by the new england wild flower society and they seel wild flowers at there gardens but never any cps! only seeds (and they only sell them for a short amount of time and have limited amounts) i will take the advice and i will check out the necps. one qestion, of the cps that are native in new england, do any of you have any of you have any of them? one more thing, i know im talking alot( excited teenage newbie) and im soory if i talk to much, just intrested in this stuff (its like some sort of plant drug!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast