User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 73 to 80 of 84

Thread: Myths

  1. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My least favorite myth is Evolution and all that... stuff.
    how can you say something is a myth/not true if you don't even know what that thing is?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]What's your problem?
    agitating a cottonmouth? on a horse? do I really need to say that's just asking for trouble?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But if you look at it from my view, a worldwide flood could easily lay down that many layers of earth quickly. The "simpler" creatures would be caught first, followed by the more "complex" creatures
    do we need another evolution thread? or should we make the next one a "noah's ark/global flood" thread? first of all a worldwide flood is physically impossible, and your logic about the "simpler" and more "complex" organisms doesn't make sense.
    If you want to debate about this I'd be glad to but make another thread :P (watch it become like the evolution thread... nobody makes another religion thread and it ends up being totally off topic :P)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  2. #74
    apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    T-ville, Florida
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If I'm not mistaken that is an estmant(sp) that can not be proven. Even if it were a "fact" it would still be unprovable. We have no way of knowing because we can't send anything to that system to find out. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, the fossil record limb to be exact. It would be the same as using the fossil record. It depends on how you look at it. If you use Darwin's view that he got from another guy(I forgot his name), the earth could easily be a few million or billion years old. But if you look at it from my view, a worldwide flood could easily lay down that many layers of earth quickly. The "simpler" creatures would be caught first, followed by the more "complex" creatures. So both views are able to disprove each other because niether view is provable. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That has nothing to do with the galaxy Andromeda. I'm not an Evolutionist or a Creationist. I believe what I believe and what I believe can't be labeled that simply. I believe some stuff from each. Andromeda is 2 million light years away. I'm just stating the facts.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

  3. #75
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If I'm not mistaken that is an estmant(sp) that can not be proven. Even if it were a "fact" it would still be unprovable. We have no way of knowing because we can't send anything to that system to find out.
    My high school astronomy class covered how to determine those sorts of distances. Not college... high school.

    And if we did somehow travel to that galaxy and brought back an exact figure, it would be just as easy to say that their numbers couldn't be proven... maybe because there might have been a glitch in their computers, or because they were in hibernation for the trip and didn't actually experience it, or whatever other reason people could come up with. It's one of those neverending philosophical problems.

    But for all practical purposes... mountains of evidence are at your fingertips. Take from them what you will.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't mean to sound accusatory or hostile here... but people spent pages and pages doing exactly that in the other thread. What more are you looking for?

  4. #76

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Feb. 17 2005,9:29)]My least favorite myth is Evolution and all that... stuff
    Your least favorite fact is evolution.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

  5. #77
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeesh... first gender and now evolution... I need to stop opening my mouth in these threads. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

  6. #78

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARGH! it ate my post!
    ... anyway..
    well what do you know... you're talking about it and ta-da! a news article that relates to it.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...217_space.html
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]How can we measure the cluster's age? Because astronomers are able to analyze light waves and thereby tell how long it took for the light, and the images the light creates, to reach Earth. The light that created the images of the galaxies in the photo above is about 12.7 billion years old, so you're actually looking into the distant past as well as the distant limits of the universe
    even if the calculations were wrong, they could be older... and if they're younger, I REALLY doubt that thousands of astronomers worldwide could possibly make mistakes THAT big. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  7. #79
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man... just for kicks I did a google search for how those distances are determined, and guess which site came up.

    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/distance.html

    One heck of a comprehensive site. And they know what they're doing when it comes to search engine placement. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

  8. #80

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG female cops do not have to be as physically capable as their male counterparts. The physical standards that they are forced to meet in order to become a police officer are significantly lower then the tests males must complete. Just for an example here in Michigan we have a physical test you must take in order to get into a police academy and then a test you must pass in order to get certified as a police officer. The pre-employment test requires (among other excercises) a male age 21-25 to do 38 push-ups in a minute and a female age 21-25 to do 7 push-ups in a minute.

    Craig
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.


    GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •