No I meant huminoid like things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jhaluska @ Feb. 17 2005,1:30)]
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,10:49)]There are a few inherent differences in male and female brains, like size, but interms of true cognition there is not differnce.
    Did you read the link I posted?

"He (Michael Gurian) believes there are about a hundred structural differences that have been identified between the male and female brain."

It makes perfect sense to me for evolution to have favored slightly more specialized minds for each gender.
    yes i did read the link, however it is from cnn, which often will report(as do most news organizations) things that are first not very scientific, secondly supported by very few people, and third mostly preliminary in their findings. its not that i am saying there is no differnces, its just anthropologist have been looking for many years for true differences, and they have found that there are some slight physical differences between the brians of the sexes(like male brains are bigger by weight) but have yet to find any true conginitive differences between the sexes, especally if the study is done cross-culturally, which helps to eliminate culture biases.

also evolution has favored differences in the brain of the sexes however it has not been shown that they have conginitive differences. Like the larger brain in males is mostly due to an increase in spinal fluid around the brain making males more able to deal with blows to the head because their brains are more padded, the female brain however has its gray matter in a more compact area and is denser making up for the difference in size.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,1:53)]vampiers aren't either... (again... the living dead are but the central american species that lap blood aren't. There are only three species of vampire bats in the whole world and they only live in Mexico and central america)... and if you consider any organism that sucks blood a vampire, there are also those finches in the galapagos, mosquitoes, fleas, lice, bed bugs, leeches, etc.
    dont forget people who practice ritual blood drinking(which is most likely the source of the myth).
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But remember "Temple of the Vampire" (an actual religion look it up online) does not support drinking of blood or in any way harming humans in the name of the religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I've seen shows about gender differences and read things about the differences in the brains and I do think they're true. once again... I can't stress enough that I don't think one is better than the other...
    and it's not just about the physical differences of the brain, it's how they use them. it has been shown through what-do-you-call-them scans that males and females use different regions of their brain when doing certain things.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,4:49)]
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 16 2005,6:31)]Men were the hunters and needed to be aggressive and need to be good with directions (to come home and not get lost) while the females have been the gatherers and nurturers and have to have good communication skills etc...
    alpha let me just say this you are treding on thin ice here and are making alot of assumptions with these statements. also alot of what we see as typical male or typical female behavior is culturally shaped. the not asking for help thing is mostly a western(prob. american) concept. in other cultures it is prefectly acceptable for a man to ask for help with something or ask for directions. you have to remove culture from people(which is very very unethical) in order to study this fully.

There are a few inherent differences in male and female brains, like size, but interms of true cognition there is not differnce.
    Differences between male and female can be seen in all cultures and are generally the same but may present themselves different. The study was done with toddlers so if what you're saying is right there shouldn't have been such a difference between what the boys and what the girls did.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,2:13)]well, I've seen shows about gender differences and read things about the differences in the brains and I do think they're true. once again... I can't stress enough that I don't think one is better than the other...
    and it's not just about the physical differences of the brain, it's how they use them. it has been shown through what-do-you-call-them scans that males and females use different regions of their brain when doing certain things.
    i have seen the studies you are talking about, but these studies have never been done cross culturally so the difference could be do to the fact that cultures emphasis different roles for men and women which forces their brains to develop differently. im not saying that there arnt differences im just saying they might not be do to any biological cause but could easily be based on implanted cultural bias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and how do you explain the use of the brain for the same thing? if it was cultural then both males and females would use the same areas of the brain for the same purposes but they don't.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast