Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so some people want a "hot topic"

Here it is.

I am NOT anti-Hispanic.

I don't think anybody would disagree with the fact that speaking more than one language is more intelligent. However I speak, read and write (a little) German. I can comunicate in German roughly. If Latin was readily taught I would learn it. I do not like being pushed to learn Spanish or my daughter either. For Christs-sake I can only understand half of my daughters cartoons anymore. Learning a second language is a good thing but it should be a choice. Unfortunately this Spanish push has come from businesse catering to immigrants and by doing this they open up there business to a wider group of people. On the other hand, it makes it too easy for non-English speaking Americans to not learn English which I think is a load of B.S. I know many other countries force English learning as well as native tongue but I do not understand or support that either. Conversely I would not travel to Mexico because quite frankly I can't say anything except numbers up to 10. While I'm sure they speak English at resorts this is non-sense too. If you move to another country...........learn the language. I do think that Americans outta learn a native language as well before moving even if English is accepted there.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... well, I think it's cool to learn a foreign language, but I don't think students should be forced to learn a foreign language just to get into college. I mean, there's no reason somebody shouldn't be able to get into college just because they can't speak a foreign language. I think the school board should offer a course in foreign languages, and students can take the course if they want, but I don't think they should HAVE to.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

I'd rather learn Russian. Way easier to learn and funner to speak [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about elsewhere but In OPS (Omaha Public Schools) they are taught Spanish without parents being asked. This sounds kinda knit-picky but I should have a say in what my daughter learns to speak. If they offered a list of languages to learn maybe I would or wouldn't go with Spanish, but I deffinately look at it differently because she is taught that it is a second language. Nobody should have to speak a foreign language in there own country no matter what country you live in.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 6th grade daughter is in her 3rd year of Spanish. This is the grade when the school district offers French as an alternative and maybe 1/4 switch to French. I never learned another language but, with the hearing and speech problems I had as a kid, learning English was enough of a challenge.

I've decided to teach myself Slovak because we've recently discovered some non-English speaking relatives over there. I hope to be able to read and write it and, if I can later learn to speak it, I'll be happy. I've previously failed in attempts at French, German, and Spanish, but this time will focus on the written language, which I hope will be easier.

I think an ability to understand another language is a great thing, whatever the language. It's much more economical for school systems to teach one or two languages. Spanish certainly seems an obvious choice and I guess French makes sense too.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that if Walmart didn't have half its signs in Spanish there would be no need for it. What I'm shooting for is that if people would learn to read, write and understand English when they get here then there would be no need to press kids to learn this unofficial language. As stated befor alot of blame lays with companies who market Spanish here which makes it easy to just not learn it. If everything remained in English then they would have an incentive to learn it.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that if you're going to move somewhere, you should learn the language... but who's forcing anyone to learn spanish?
    and I don't think that if you're just going on vacations somewhere you should learn the language. If they want you to go, they should treat you well :P
    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I don't know about elsewhere but In OPS (Omaha Public Schools) they are taught Spanish without parents being asked.
    so they don't get to choose what language they want? oh... well that IS messed up...
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you live in the country? I have to skim through Spanish to read darn near anything anymore. I get really irritated because I cannot stand it when I read or hear something directed at me but I am incapable of understanding it, but I'm fully capable of the language of the country. It's not a melting pot thing, its a too easy to not do it thing. Our ancestors who moved here likely adjusted to the language and customs when they got here, speaking their native language only in their homes and among themselves because its rude and used to be unacceptable.

Joe

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast