What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usa national territory!

Hello guys! I will tell you something, that I have been saying and repeting on and on and on in this Forum, and almost everywhereinthe Internet.

To those that do not know this detail, I must tell you the the USA is more than 50 states. USA is compossed by the known 50 states and 4 territories, which are Puerto Rico (commonwealthe) US Virging Islands (territiory) Guam (territory) and American Samoa (territory). All of these are part of the USA, within USA, and they are not foreign contries, but part of USA.

The USPS service is the postal service of these USA territories. The Federal Department of Agricutlure is the agricultural deparmtnet of these teritories, the president of these territories is the same of the 50 states, and everybody that is born in these territories is USA citizen as those that are born in NY, CA, HI, FL, or any other state. You do not need passport ot go to these territories, becuase you are in USA national territory, and when you ship things to these territiries, you are making a domestic shipping.

I hope this has help you. And if you need to corroborate this info, you can go to the USPS website / office or to the any Federal Office and ask, and they will tell you the same that I have told you here.

I do not want you to missunderstan me. I am not mad about explaining or many questions abnd answer. All I want is to let you all know, the truth about USA, and that it is bigger than most of us believe.

Any other questions? Just contact me, I am more than glad to answer any question.

You forgot Washington DC. It's not a state nor territory, it's just a district. Maybe you can explain what the difference between a district and territory is.
I don't know much about the territories but I would imagine that the difference between a territory and a state would be the government systems. Do they have governors, do they have representatives in the senate, and congress? The only difference that is plain to see is they don't get a star on our flag.

Hey Ozzy!

Indeed I forgot about DC, that as you say, it is not a state, nor a territorry. But as being the heart of the nation, it is a where all the power is. I do not really know in depth the system of a federal district, all I know is that it is the capital of a federative nation. Maybe somebody else can help us here.

Now, the differences between a state and a teritory it is only that the territories do not have a star in the flag, and that, eventhough these terrotories have representatives in the Senate and the Congress, these representatives do not have the right to vote, except the Puerto Rican representative, who won the right to vote becuase PR is a commonwealth, and according to the constitution, PR representatives have that right. But it is only a representative, not a fromal senator, or congressman.

About the goverment of these teritories, yes, they do have governors and the same goverment system that every state has.

Summing up, a star in the flag and formal representation in the Senate and the Congress is the only difference between state and a territory. But all, under the same system: USA.

46 states and 4 commonwealths (Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky are commonwelaths).

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a state and a commonwealth?

emilias, there are more differences then you pointed out but you are more or less correct.as to PR having a vote where did you find this? not doubting you ive just never come across a Senator or Rep from PR mentioned when i read through various votes. while some branches of our government have power over these territories others dont or choose not to. the Department of Education for example has lil to do with "our" territories. there are probably more but i have to admit this is one area i have paid lil attention to other than the fact that they were "US Property".

Kahnli...you beat me to it.  
smile.gif
 Virginia is not a state...its a commonwealth.

Despite the difference in name, there is no difference in the relationship or governance of a state vs a commonwealth.
Their legal status is no different than the other 46 states of the United States. In reference to these four entities, commonwealth means the same as state, and the term “state”
can be used interchangeably with “commonwealth” when referring to them.

Commonwealth actually means a community of people acting in common interest, or in terms of a government, it means the power is held by the people."

Commonwealth has a different meaning in reference to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, which is not a state. Puerto Rico is a self-governing territory of the U.S. The people of Puerto Rico are U.S. Citizens, but they don’t have the right to vote in federal elections.

Oh man, this is giving me a brain cramp..

Hello there guys! Well I have seen that this has started a good debate. All I anted was to let know to those that didn’t that Puerto Rico is not a foreign country and that when you ship plants or anything here is the same than shipping to the states, and that we are under the USA national territory. But since there are too many interesting questions and several interesting argument, let’s keep on with the conversation.

Yes, rattler_mt, there are more difference, but at first look that is a good summary. About the vote in the Senate and the Congress, we do not have Senators or congressmen. We have is a “Comisionado rescidente” or “Resident Commissioner” who is our represent man in the Congress. He or she can vote, but this is a strange vote. His or her vote is not formally valid, only as a voice that must be heard. And the right to vote it is not extended to any notation in the Congress, but to specific matters. This Resident Commissioner is a federal deputy, which must go thru an election process here in PR.

About the branches of our federal government that have power over the territories. Let me tell you that all our state government must go first thru the federal branches. And mostly the Department of Education which is the one that rules our schools, collages and universities. Obviously this is because all territories are as rattler_mt said: US property.

I know this is a very strange and difficult situation, and describe it is stranger and more difficult, but the best way to se this is as PlantAKiss said:

“Commonwealth has a different meaning in reference to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, which is not a state. Puerto Rico is a self-governing territory of the U.S. The people of Puerto Rico are U.S. Citizens, but they don’t have the right to vote in federal elections.”

As I said before. Please, notice that USA is bigger than we all think.
smile.gif

P.R. still has issues in their debate at whether statehood is in their best interests. Do you see it becoming a State eventually?

Yes, Jimscott, PR has a lot of issues that need to be solved, as well as the Congress to get a conclussion to this matter, whether statehood, independences or keep on with the same actual system, but here are the real options.

To keep with the same actual system is not an option, it is getting old and obsolet, it does not function anymore. Independence is something that only a small group wants here( less than 4% of the population), and obviously the only natural and reasonable option is statehood, for both, PR and the Congress, which will be the one that will have the last word, I mean the Congress.

And I guess the end of all this matter will come before these next 4 years. So after 107 years of this same issue, it will get a conclussion real soon.

So, we will ahve to wait a little more.

ah so i see im confused, nothing unusual about that. maybe my confution about the Department of Education came in from something else? i wonder if PR schools arent held to the same standards as US schools as far as the US Gov't is concerned? did the No Child Left Behind Act affect PR schools? i think last i saw the literacy rate in PR was far lower than the states but IIRC we were talking about this in a history class or something which would make the data im thinking of 10 years old give or take a few years. thanks for the info. i hadnt actually thought about this in awhile. nice to update my facts.

Back