What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New grow room!

So I remodelled my house, and one of the results is a new room in the basement (half underground). It's a small room, about 8 x 12 feet, but big enough for all my three racks. Here's the overall:
Grow_room_1.sized.jpg

Here's the rack on the right, which has a tank on the lower shelf, and a 400 watt MH light up above (sorry, the MH lights always make the photos look like crap). There are heliamphora in the terrarium above:
Grow_room_2.sized.jpg

Here's the center rack, which has all 48inch tube shop lights and cheap bulbs. It grows the best:
Grow_room_4.sized.jpg

Here's the left rack, which has fluorex lights above, and shop lights below. I also like this setup, as long as the fluorex lights keep working. Some of these neps are getting out of control:
Grow_room_3.sized.jpg

There is a small window to the outside from this room, plus a door that leads to the rest of the basement. I should be able to control the climate really easy in here. I'm open to suggestion on improving this room, so if anyone has anything I should add, just say the word. So far, the humidy has been high, and it warms to about 78 during the day, then down to 58 or so overnight. I'm a little worried about heat during the summer, but during our rare heat waves, I think I can open the door to the basement to keep it cool. I'm trying to grow everything from N. ampularia to N. villosa in here, so wish me luck!

Capslock

Kirk, that's H. neblinae. I just got it from Tony, and I'm growing it out on the rack. I think I'm going to move it under something soon, but it's been raining, and the air is humid and cool, so it's fine for now.

Capslock

looks about like what im going to start on tonite. Darla decided this weekend that if im going to grow plants i gotta be more space efficient so shelves are going up tonite. looks very nice.

awesome. Wish I had a big room like that

Very nice.

I am envious, my setup is pitifull. That is truly a great growspace.

Nice Caps!
Guess we know where you can be found in your off time
smile_n_32.gif

temps look good for now.

Excellent man, looks real good. Do you have a humidifier in there? If not I would add one just to give a nice moist atmosphere. Course you live in SF so you might be damp enough most of the time. I'm usually around 15-20% in winter.

Joe

SWEEEEEET!
Killer set up. Litterally.
smile.gif

Nice. You truely have the sickness, no hope for you now...
smile_m_32.gif

Steve

nice! I love the shelves, how would you make one, and about how much on average would one cost?

lookin good

Kirk,
Hey, I didn't see this was brought back up. The shelves were purchased at Costco for about $70. They're easy to set up, and could hold MUCH heavier stuff than I have on them. I like them because they're the perfect size to put a couple 48" shop light fixtures on each shelf. The fixtures are only about 9 bucks at the hardware store, and I use cheap "cool white" and "daylight" bulbs.

Capslock

Very nice!!! Are the shoplights 4 bulb fixtures or 2 bulb fixtures?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,
They are two-bulb fixtures for a total of four bulbs per shelf. Ideally, I'd use six, but that's an awful lot of bulbs! LOL!

Capslock

Back