What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jobs

Here's my situation. I just got a graphic design job right here in town. It seems like a pretty nice job, very nice people. I am getting $8 an hour right now and they don't want me working any more than 20 hours per week. There's one other place in town here that is rumored to be a great graphic design place. So.......I'm thinking about still trying to get into there. Part of me wants to do that, and another part of me wants to stay here where I know everyone, and try to make this company better.

I don't suppose there is any harm in checking with the other company, even if it is only to see what kind of benifits and pay that they offer. Just curious what your thoughts were.

- Joel

Never hurts to know your options. Companies let go of people all the time so why not know whether you could leave of your own accord.

Joe

never stop looking, but don't neccissarily jump ship for small change in your compensation... loyalty is honored by most companies. But if there is a chance at full time employment, yeah, never stop looking.

It's your talent you're selling, not your loyalty and for $8/hr graphic design? No way-that sucks you could work at the gas station overnights and make more! People get $50 an hour for designer/illustrators on the freelance circut (more or less charged by the job). You should definately get a website up and start bothering companies with your portfolio/resume. A posted resume on Monster.com doesn't hurt! You can put together a nice photo/print folder with biz card, background (past clients/jobs/etc) and about 3-5 samples of your very best work by mail or by directing them to your website to view a virtual portfolio where they can choose any number of your projects to view depending upon their interest.

You could potentially work at home and make many times an hour what you do now. Granted it will take time to get your name around so "don't quit the day job yet" as they say but if you progressively become a freelancer you can pick and choose the companies/jobs/work hours you want. With graphic deign you have an enormous array of companies to make contacts with, just about anyone really. Perhaps you'll get an offer to stay on permanent somewhere really fantastic giving you the salary and design position your talents and interests deserve to be dedicated to.

Now get out there and be great!
smile.gif

You know, PlantAKiss does graphic design, I think she works for a realator, perhaps you could look around for local realty offices and do custom graphics for them?

Swords is right, 8 bucks an hour is pretty chincy.

I would stay where you are for a few months Joel. You're getting experience which is worth far more than qualifications to employers in graphic design. Get some nice commercial work for your portfolio - you'll double your employability for the next job at a stroke.

Yay for the graphic designers! And printers!
biggrin.gif

Lets see...there's me, Alexis, Firewired, Rattler (printer)...anyone else?

who knows (without looking it up) what ink traps and resolution points are?

I am an ex-printer. 6 color web press for a label co. Also an ex-rewinder (OOOHHH
smile_k_ani_32.gif
)

I've been out of the biz for a while though.

Joe

BTW yeah $8 an hour
confused.gif
I made $10 an hour 5 yrs ago starting as a rewinder. Let alone designing the labels. I just cut large rolls apart into handheld small rolls for application. (peon)

Joe

Well, I'm an electrician and I use too change jobs whenever the money was better. I traveled around the country, doing huge projects. When they were done I would then look for the next highest paying job. I made a lot of money, I made $35,000 in 6 months once. Then it caught up with me. I had a long resume of former employers. Almost all, I left on good terms. When I tried to get a new job the interviewer would look at all the times I changed jobs, and would ask why I couldn't keep a job for more than 6 or 7 months. No matter what I had to say it was always a strike against me.

I settled down found a job wiring houses, which I hate, because after nuclear power plants, slaughter houses, steal mills, ect houses were pretty boring. The company I was working for was small and the owners was very good to me. I got 3 $1 raises within 9 months. When I got married, they gave me a bonus check for $500. During the Christmas party the owners bragged about me and another guy, and told us how good and dependable workers we were.
While I was working there I got a call from a guy that I use to work for, he told me he had a job a few miles from my house and offered me $7 more dollars than I was making at the time. I told him I liked the guys I was working for and I can't just leave them.
Less than a month after the Christmas party me and the other guy that they bragged on so much was called into the office. We were told that we couldn't do our job and we were both fired. It turned out that two guys applied for jobs and said they would work for $2 less than we were making.
So in the end you have to do whatever is best for you. I agree that you need to get more experience, that is your best asset. If I were you I would apply with the other company and see what they have to offer. If it's a better deal take it. You can gain way more experience if you're working 40 hrs a week instead of 20.

RamPuppy's advice was dead on!

I'm with Ozzy,
I've done the same thing and got up to a fair amount of money but then all of a sudden employers start askin "Whats the deal with constant jumping?" Then all the good pay in the world don't matte if nobody will hire you cause they think you'll jump ship at the first chance. Then again as I said befor and Ozzy, Companies will let you go at the drop of a hat if it benefits them after all there in business to make and save money. Double edge sword I guess.

Joe

My advice is keep the 20 hour a week job, and do freelance from home for the other 20 hours a week. The grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but you might find out its just because of spray paint.

always always always always always always take a better job when you can.
"company loyality" (by employees) really cant exist anymore, because you can get laid off at any time.
you could stay with a company for 30 years, then get laid off 6 months before you are eligible for retirement.(happens all the time)
of course, dont do it every single year unless its a much better position, but if an opportunity comes along, jump at it.
the company cant care about you,
so always look out for #1..
Scot

Sadly, I agree with Scot. $8/hr is just too low to warrant any loyalty. You can't pay the bills and have a life on that.

Your skills are worth more, and while your employers may be nice people, they need to pay more and/or give you full-time work. You can't be forced into relative poverty out of loyalty, and nobody would be upset if you took full-time employment elsewhere.

Once you are paid a decent wage in a full-time position, then the question of loyalty can come into play. Just remember, they are going to do what's right for their business, you need to do what's right for yours.

Capslock

I'm not happy  
smile_h_32.gif

I had a second graphics interview on Monday, which lasted all afternoon, and they said they'd let me know by the end of the week. Now it's Friday 5.45pm and I haven't received a phone call. I've been sat next to the phone all day!

On another point, I'm still going to disagree with the two above  
smile_n_32.gif
 You're getting paid something at least for the experience and the commercial work for your portfolio. Nobody would employ me straight from uni because I had no experience. I managed to get a work placement for 4 months, which cost me £26 a week in petrol (when I was getting £44 a week on jobseeker's allowance). I started looking for work again after Christmas and I managed to get the second interview I'm waiting to hear the result on. At the first interview the guy said he was the first person he'd seen that had got some experience and hadn't come straight out of university.
Stay where you are Joel for 3 or 4 months and then look for a salaried position.

Alvin, CALL THEM BACK! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and all that. Seriously, calling them back (not incessantly) lets them know you're serious about the job, and it can't hurt.

Capslock

I will stay here for a while, and see if I will be full time soon, but I am probably going to keep an eye on other places in town. I know the experience is valuable, and I can already tell that I am learning more in the 3 weeks that I've been working there.

It is so different than college. College you have so much time to work on projects, get your teachers input, and work and work until it's perfect. Here, they want you to come up with a design fast. So it's challenging, but it's getting better by the day
biggrin.gif

Alvin, I agree with Capslock! Call them back. I called and e-mailed the place where I'm working at several times, and even went in to talk to the owner. It was that day when I talked to the owner that I got the job. It shows them your are a go-getter and are serious about the position. Good luck Alvin!

- Joel

Back