What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else hang around that isn't growing any cps

Ahh yes, I am growing everything I can.....

I,too, am from the old-school of Ghetto Riggin' and I can see the appeal of a real setup, my "grow room" is a couple of desks pushed together, with a few random mirrors leaned against the wall and a radiator... I can hardly even touch anything without something going wrong....

I haven't seen any pics or anything that even comes close to my setup, so anyone who is less than pleased with their jjerry-rigged set-up, PM me and I'll send a a pic that'll make you feel tons better
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I did "hang out" on a star wars collecting board for almost 2 years during which I wasn't actively collecting, so don't feel too bad, Joe

D. capensis not hardy?!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

its only the most hardy CP there is!

but..by using the word "hardy" does that mean you are trying to get them to live through a winter dormancy?
they dont need one!
capensis doesnt go dormant.
I have several that have been growing non-stop for about 7 years now. I just put them in an indoors window all winter.
they never go in the fridge like my other CPs.

they do get pretty ratty after awhile though..
what I do when they get all brown and icky is totally chop them down.
I cut the plants off near the soil line, leave about 1/2 inch tall stems sticking up, strip the dead brown leaves off the bottom of the stems of the cut plants, leaving the fresher green leaves on the top.
stick the rootless stems into new pots, and they root!
AND..the headless plants left behind in the old pot grow new shoots!
you double your plants that way!  
smile_n_32.gif

Scot

I know Finach doesnt grow ny CPs for the moment....

Well so far S. flava(?) 'Crestveiw' and S. the short fat ones (Names are escaping me quickly this mornin) have survived a zone 6b winter. There in an aq fashioned into a bog outside. Oh and a S. Caetsbaei (I probably slaughtered that name ) too are there.

I have no Droseras or any other at the moment, well actually I forget about my Ceph. It sits in the window just doin what they do, kinda moseyin along at their snail pace.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 22 2005,4:18)]I agree that if you don't grow cp's you must leave, now. But since you have some growing outside, we should reach some type of compromise. I say you must leave for now, you'll be allowed back as soon as your plants outside come out of dormancy.
We should let Joe back on only when his computer is outside with the Sarrs. Indoor posting for indoor growers ONLY! :p
~Joe

PS - What kind of non-ghetto setup will this be, Joe? Do you have anything to share with the class?

Well.................
I am gonna start with one of those one peice shower units. I know how to make "fake rock". This will be the interior. At the moment I am looking at 34 plant sites of 8" pots that will be "mounted" so to speak in the wall so as to look natural. Though I am considering instead of rock look, going with a tree trunk look. Anyway the pots will be in the back with the plant and opening on the inside of the chamber. This is the base idea.
Now details like humidity will be a fogger so far. Light will be a dual spectrum Halide/HPS system 250wtt each on a 500wtt ballast.
More details and and mechanics to be mulled over yet. Nothin is set in stone yet.
Thats basically it so far.

Maybe I'll come up with a blue print to give a visual idea.

Joe

P.S. This is going to be choice Neps, Epi-cactus, mosses, and a chameleons home.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see. What will you be using for rock/tree trunk? Some sort of sculpted foam? I think the tree-trunk look could end up looking really good. The first thing that came to my mind was hypertufa but that would be way too heavy for mounting in a shower stall, I'd think.
Good luck!
~Joe

Theres a quick idea of what I'm thinking. I know its a little rough,but.......

Joe
Untitled.jpg

The easy-est thing to do for "non-ghetto" is to go garage-sale-ing. I have found up to 35 gallon octagonal tanks for $10. So far I have spent $30 and have 1 ten gallon tank
1 35 gallon octagonal tank
1 terrarium that is 20 gallons or so but I had to build a base (out of scrape wood)
1 1 gallon terrarium/cookie jar (of course I no longer use it for the cookie jar function. I did not really want U. subulata on my cookies, not that the cookies would make it to the jar anyway).

Ya know, ghetto-rigging is a new phrase for me. I'm used to a few other ways of expressong the concept. You should see what I have going in the building next to the main lab! I have planks, suported by my plastic pipette containers, as sheliving units. If I had a camera, I'd show ya'll. My plants are in those containers as well as yogurt containers and Gladware. Very low budget!

Buy a flowerhouse like mine.
PICT0189.jpg

I got mine for 350 or so bucks, and they can be found on www.yardiac.com

I am only actively growing my sars and dews outside right now, no flytraps... and my neps, well, I really don't have to do much with them, I am thinking of giving them to people who have given stuff to me, my passion has transferred to Reef tanks, and while I love a great outdoor garden, a terrarium is rapidly taking up realestate that should more properly be filled with salt water.

blasphemous words!
smile.gif

as long as you give your neps a good home (hint hint! LOL... jk) it's not so bad.

I've got a ton of aq but I want something else. I have a 35gl hex, 48gl 1/4 octagon, 2 55glns, 2 35gln, 2 10glns. One 55 runs with nothin in it at the moment (10yr old oscar kicked the bucket).

AAhhhh..... lol AlphaWolf, you know I have to give my Neps to a good ol' Creationist!
smile.gif
jk...

If and I repeat IF I let them go, It will be to someone I know will give me cuttings back someday, it's not goodbye, it's "I'll see ya when I have a green house loves".
smile.gif
space... or lack there of, is my true enemy... well... it's right behind money... the lack there of, for the top spot anyhow!

Back