What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More bad news

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey all, so it seems I have aphids as well as spider mites and algae. Life is peachy. I've been looking up the insecticides mentioned in the Savage Garden but they all seem to be fairly toxic and for outdoor use. I have birds, fish and small mammals in the apartment so I'm very nervous about using most insecticides. I'm going to treat my hardier, non-CPs with neem oil outside, but I don't know if it's safe for CPs. What kind of stuff should I buy for the CPs? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
~Joe

Ortho Systemic Insect Killer has been recommended a few times for CP's... I've used it with no apparent problem so far.

I was looking at the label for that stuff on their website and it says that it's not for use indoors. That's the one with Orthene and some miticide, right? I think it's name starts with a V.
Also, at the risk of going off on a tangent, which of the following plants could I move outside for treating with insecticide? I'm still getting frosts, but daytime temps are in the 60s.
I have:
D. capensis (definitely going outside)
D. binata dichotoma
D. spatulata
P. moranensis
I don't know what to do about my Nepenthes until it warms up at night, and I think my Utrics are unaffected (knock on wood.) I do have a miniature plastic greenhouse on the balcony so I can give the plants humidity and such.
Thanks again,
~Joe

Could it have been the sugary aphid poo that stimulated the algea? Just a thought
smile_m_32.gif
. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 23 2005,11:29)]I was looking at the label for that stuff on their website and it says that it's not for use indoors.
I think that's because they assume you're going to be spraying it via a hose attachment. You still want some good ventilation no matter what of course.

You can always mix up a little bit and just use an eyedropper or a turkey baster and apply it that way. It's systemic so the plant doesn't have to be coated. You might even be able to just water them with the ortho added in.

I should also mention that the people I've read about who use this stuff mostly used it on neps. You should probably get a second opinion on those other plants.

My capensis (spelled it right this time), D. spatulata, and D. adelae all have aphids. I successfully rid the capensis fo them by simply placing their pot in a taller container and overfilled it with water, drowning them. The aphids float, struggle, and die. They do not swim too well! I currently have the adelae underwater. Today I do the same with the spatulata. I can't vouch for the long term eradication of them. You shoulda seen the new leaves that initiated from the capensis, while underwater!

ive used Schultz Expert Gardener on Nepenthes, Sarrs and Orchids with no ill effects. it is made out of chrysanthumum flowers and doent have any noxious fumes but i wouldnt let it stay on your skin or breath it in. i found it at my local ACE hardware store. DO NOT USE it on Utrics. best plan with them is to drown the critters like Jim does, prolly best plan with Drosera and Pings too. anyways as far as pesticides go its about as nontoxic to humans as anything and it never hurt my Nepenthes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My capensis (spelled it right this time), D. spatulata, and D. adelae all have aphids. I successfully rid the capensis fo them by simply placing their pot in a taller container and overfilled it with water, drowning them. The aphids float, struggle, and die. They do not swim too well! I currently have the adelae underwater. Today I do the same with the spatulata. I can't vouch for the long term eradication of them. You shoulda seen the new leaves that initiated from the capensis, while underwater!
Neat, I'll try it. Can we see a pic?

Send me a digital camera! I'd love to take a bunch of pics. My co-worker, who has one, also (admittedly so) has a memory like a seive.

I had good success with the drowning technique too. I submerged D. capensis & VFTs for two days.

My D. binata got scale last fall. For that, I successfully used Bonide (dry granular) Systemic Houseplant Insecticide. It was about $5.00 for an 8 oz container at Home Depot. I wasn't sure how it would work, or if it would kill the live LFS. I used about a tablespoon in a 6 inch pot - sprinkled it on top and teased it into the substrate. Then I watered from the top and placed the entire pot and water dish in an enclosed storage container for about 2 months. The binata and the LFS liked those conditions and flourished, the scale dissappeared too.

I've seen Orthene Systemic (liquid) for about 10 bucks, but have no experience with it yet.

Good luck getting rid of the little buggers.

WildBill

Hmm, I may have to try the drowing technique. I again made the mistake of putting my plants too near to my mom's hibiscus while I was at home (it goes through periodic aphid infesations that flare up in winter for some reason) and now my D. capnesis, D. spathulata, and D. nidiformis are nearly overrun, with headway being made on my D. scorpiodes
mad.gif
I've only barely been able to keep them in check with rubbing alcohol and liberal pruning. Just thank the deities the adelae has been spared (knocks on wood)

I have used orthene for 20 years on my babies, and they do not suffer any problems with the use of this toxin. Acephate, the prime ingredient, does terrible things to any and all sucking insects, so can be used to destroy aphids, whitefly, scale, mealy bugs, and even a few chewers like exyra moth. Follow the directions on the bottle, and use it. I even have used it in my terrariums, before I learned my plants would do well outside in trays. And I still use it. Valuable stuff to keep the dreaded curse of the aphid away from your prized plants.

Out! Get back out there! Or, bump!

Well, thanks everybody for the tips. I think I'll try to go with Orthene when I've got some cash at the beginning of the month. I would try drowning (I've had a lot of fun knocking aphids into the D. binata water tray, knowing they're not long for the grave) but I don't have enough deep containers for the majority of my exposed plants. I think we'll just bring on the poison, but I still wonder, how safe is it for small animals? I could always move my plants into the storage room on the balcony for the duration of their treatment, but I'd prefer not to break down my whole setup and move it.
~Joe

Back