What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wingless fruit flies

I remember taking about wingless fruit flies for feeding indoor CPs in one of the other forums one time and I went to check on the Maryland CP Nursery site because I haven't been there in a while and the first thing I saw was information on them. Now the Maryland CP Nursery sells them and teaches you how to keep them alive forever. Here's the link, http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/info/fruitflies.htm
In the instructions it says "medium" and you can buy that for $2.00 he also has a set of 6 vials with foam tops to buy for $12.00 so pretty much, so for $24.00 (I added another 12 to buy your first set of live flies) you can have a neverending supply of food for your CPs. That's pretty cool. If I wasn't broke I'd probably order them. lol

Ummm...I don't think you could put other seller website on PFT.

you can, only if it isn't your site or if its something PFT already sells. PFT doesn't sell fruit flies.

Is a fly still a fly if it doesn't have wings? Hmmm...
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 24 2005,5:31)]PFT doesn't sell fruit flies.
No, but they do sell many of the plants listed.

when i had dart frogs i used to "breed" one winged fruit flies and feed my plants on the side. they're really easy to maintain, in fact, sometimes i had to release some because they grow so fast! i always used deli containers that i cut a square hole out the top, them smashed it full with a spounge from the art supply store (they don't come pre-soaped) and presto, fly hive. i have a cheap & simple recipie for the fly food if you're serious about wanting to grow flies for food. rather then spend bucks on wingless, i would just buy the one-winged variety at most local pet shops. sometimes you'd get a few with two wings but that's not such a bad thing, they would always end up on the sundews or in the nepenthes cups anyway.

I use to keep flightless fruit flies. They were a PITA to keep. They're stinky and love to escape.

In the description on the website he says that they don't have a scent. Maybe you had something different?

When I raised my fruitflies I used this mix, with great results.

1 cup mashed potatoes mix, a tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of yeast. Mix the ingredients; add some vinegar (helps to prevents mold) and water. Mix. You might have to add more water or potatoes mix if it is too dry or wet. I myself make it on the dry side.
I then use 20 oz. soda bottles for the cultures. I put some small holes at the top of the bottle, thumbtack. I cut the bottle in half. Place some of the mix in the bottom of the bottle. Tear a piece of paper towel and place in bottle. Cut a small reverse "v" into the top piece. This is so you can place the top into the bottom section a little. I then duct tape the pieces together again. Use a funnel to place some fruitflies from another culture into the new culture. 1 cup of mix is good for 3 20 oz. bottles.

Wow, nice, yet confusing instructions! lol don't mind me I'm just dumb.

The flies themselves don't smell, it's the mix! After a week, you definitely smell it! It's real simple, buy the instant potato mix, powdered baby food, drop in a few grains of yeast and a dab of vinegar. Mix together and dump the flies in.

Back