What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News alert regarding pres. bush

• Thread starter sarracenia
  • Start date
WASHINGTON, DC—In a surprise press conference Monday, President Bush said he will not rest until the warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant, the vessel holding the original Ten Commandments, is located. "Nazis stole the Ark in 1936, but it was recovered by a single patriot, who braved gunfire, rolling boulders, and venomous snakes," Bush said, addressing the White House press corps. "Sadly, due to bureaucratic rigmarole, this powerful, historic relic was misplaced in a warehouse. Mark my words: We will find that warehouse." Bush added that, after they are strengthened by the power of the Ark, U.S. forces will seek out and destroy the sinister Temple of Doom.

glad to see our taxes going to good use

LMAO, very creative

LOL! That's funny Sar. What possessed you to write that? I want to know where your creative juices come from...

Right............... Talk about and interesting tabloid.....

sarracenia, that sounds alot like something you'd hear on The Daily Show -_^

actually it wouldn't surprise me all that much. Did you know he created "jesus day" when he was a governor? I'm telling you that guy wants no separation between church and state.
http://www.snopes.com/religion/jesusday.htm
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes,
it's true. Texas Governor George W. Bush signed a memorandum on 17 April 2000 proclaiming 10 June to be 'Jesus Day' in Texas, a day that "challenges people to follow Christ's example by performing good works in their communities and neighborhoods."

Well you know he gave an executive order for the gov. to give money to "faith based" organisations. To date no Jewish, Islamic, or non-christian groups have been given money. Christian Groups have been given tons of money b/c supposedly they "saved" his life. I think it was dateline that ran "The Jesus Factor" several years ago

so christian groups have been given more? well then if they have it's obvious he's just giving money to the others so he won't look bad... edit: I just saw you said NO money to jews, etc... that's horrible! I thought you were just saying they were giving christians more money than others.

they saved his life?

lol lots of uprising over a joke, i few of us got the link to Indiana Jones but it seems to gone over others head. i used to say the constitution and such was about a seperation of church and state but i actually read it over not that long ago. there are no provisions for the seperations. as to giving money to faith based initiatives so what? every president has his causes that he throws money at why would Bush be any different?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i used to say the constitution and such was about a seperation of church and state but i actually read it over not that long ago. there are no provisions for the seperations
I wasn't talking about the constitution nor any legal stuff.
even If I was, the constitution does say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
http://atheism.about.com/od/churchstatemyths/a/phrase.htm
so while the phrase "separation of church and state" isn't there, the idea is.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as to giving money to faith based initiatives so what? every president has his causes that he throws money at why would Bush be any different?
just because other presidents do things we don't like it doesn't mean we should not disagree with a president doing it right now. who cares what others have done? we're talking about the US here and now.
now... IF it's government money (I don't see why he would be giving his own money to everyone) and IF he really did give more money to christians than to others... a president giving more money to christians than to others is wrong. That's what I'm saying.

so then that's just another downside to him........ No matter who is in office, he is never going to be liked by everyone. It's just fact. Some people loved Clinton... others hated his guts. Some people love Bush, others hate his guts.... Welcome to the world of politics.

That was a pretty funny joke, and I am a bushie.

Alpha_Wolf, why would you ever believe that seperation is implied when the vast majority of the founding fathers were christian? if ANYTHING, you must interporet their works with a pro-christian slant.

In addition, It is widely held that the founding fathers most likely never concieved that there would be Islam, poopoism, Budhism and so on in this country, their freedome of religion was more likely 'freedom to practice your religion within a christian perspective, i.e. calvanists, catholics, baptists and puritains can all get along together." granted, that is not the way it turned out, and our constitutions verbage is broad enough to allow such wonderful diversity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Means that congress will NOT establish a state religion, nothing more, nothing less. that one line has been warped so much it disgusts me. I have no problem with the government giving money to organizations of ANY faith, those moneys are usually spend to help people in their community, and I believe by and large, the community knows what to do with that money far better than a huge governmental juggernaught.

As for only christian groups getting the money, certainly that bears investigation, but one wonders if any other group has even applied for monies? (I have no idea) and what if a few have and have recieved funding, this country is by far more christian in it's religious leanings than anything else, it is no small wonder that christian groups would get more money in that situation.

In the end, who cares who gets the money as long as the money is used to give out blankets, help a single mom fix her car, provide shelter and sustenance for the homeless? A church with a 100% volunteer based labour force and an incentive to help others (it is part of their core belief system) will spend every dollar with far more effectiveness than a government agency that will have to blow most of that money on employee costs...

my two cents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Feb. 24 2005,9:52)]That was a pretty funny joke, and <span style='color:red'>I am a bushie.</span>
*SPITS BEER ON MONITOR*

Just kidding
smile_m_32.gif

its funny because "Jesus" was a Jew. You'd think he'd throw the Jews some money, too.

Ram i think you put it far better than i ever could. the reason i have minimal problem with ANY president throwing money at faith baised places such as the church is because of the reasons you stated. im not christian and i have no problems with it. course that may be because one thing im very active in is Optimist International, which is a 100% volenteer based organization whos goal is to help children.

It doesn't matter which group gets money cause whoever doesn't is gonna find something to justify their claim of being cheated.

People are greedy like that. It's rediculous really, like children. " He got a toy and I didn't " "That's not fair"

Jesus was a Jew but he wasn't Jewish, he was faithful to his father not manmade names, laws, religions.

Joe

JLP,
I imagine in your sig you mean poatched eggs as in the meal, but it also kinda sounds like a green light to steal wild bird eggs. I just realised that and thought it was kinda funny since you were trying to show discourage for theft of nature.

Joe

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about the constitution. The constitution isn't a holy book that is perfect.  Just because it may not be there, it doesn't mean that it isn't wrong. My argument wasn't that what bush did was illegal.It was that it was wrong. Something may be legal AND wrong at the same time. the federal government supporting one religion over another is wrong. Is there anyone here who thinks there shouldn't be a separation between church and state?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
that to me says that congress can't do anything that promotes any religion...
Declaring a "jesus day" was certainly promoting a religion. Aside from holy scripts there is no proof jesus even existed, and there are plenty of other good, historical people that he could have chosen.
And what's worse, if the government is giving more money to one religious group than to the other, that is promoting a religion even more.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]who cares who gets the money as long as the money is used to give out blankets, help a single mom fix her car, provide shelter and sustenance for the homeless?
I do. The government shouldn't be tied with any religion. Giving money only to christains is supporting one religion over another and that tires government (very strongly) to a religion.

Back