What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating seeds

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Okay, people have tried innovative ways of germinating seeds and propogating leaf cuttings. I have been using plastic pipette containers, with hinged covers, as "grow chambers". I have had good success with it. Others do essentially the same thing by placing media in a baggie and sprinkling seeds or emplacing leaf cuttings. Others still just use a container with water.

I have another twist on these methods, a hybrid, if you will, from my experience with drowning aphids. What about getting a container and filling it with one's favorite rinsed soil media and then overfilling it by a couple inches of water? Then place seeds or leaf cuttings on top - WITHOUT covering the container. How about letting the water level recede, naturally, and allowing seeds to germinate and distribute themselves in perhaps a more uniform manner, taking root in the media when the water level recedes to the surface. Does that happen in nature?

Whaddya think?

This method is commonly used by many growers that I know. It works. Germination in water is a good method for some seeds.

Cheers,
Jan

Good idea Jim! This will be the first year I germinate cp seeds! I will give your method a try.

Back