Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a hybrid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you ver very very much.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Hybrid animal- Lyger, tiger, lion
    I dunno if this is why you thought of it or not but Napolien Dynamite was a Hillariously retarded movie!

Quote[/b] ]Just recently on TV I saw a "liger"...a cross between a lion and tiger. Ligers can reproduce. They are giant cats standing 12 ft. tall and weighing 900 lbs. When a tiger crosses with a lion, its called a "tigon" and they are dwarfs. Genetics can do funny things. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Are you telling me "ligers" are real?! Or was it just something about evolution?

As for hybrids, it seems the definition of hybrid has been thoroughly explained. Were you planning on crossing a Nep and a flytrap? If so, I HIGHLY doubt anything would happen except not getting any seed. But then again I guess that has also been established. I just wanted to post about the "liger" and "tigon" but yet I felt that I had to at least stick to the subject also. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic."

I LOVED that movie!!

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

No, ligers are very real.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]No, ligers are very real.
    Very, very real! Beware!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Ok, so this just happened to be drawn by my buddy Amanda the other day so I thought I'd chime in. Oh and Crunch, good luck with the badge!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Feb. 28 2005,11:54)]Venus flytraps do not make hybrids because it is the only species within it's genus and does not cross breed with other carnivorous plants.

The different colors and shapes on the variety grown by folks are simply variations found within the species. It is still however all one species.

Tony
    very good point tony, are all types of flytraps mutations then
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, ligers are real. They occur naturally but are not a new species, just an accidental mating between lions and tigers. From what I understand, they used to be more common when there were larger numbers of tigers and lions in close proximity to one another. Now that numbers have dwindled due to habitat destruction and poaching, it is less common. The one I saw on TV was an accidental mating at a animal preserve. And let me tell you...it was HUGE. Its the largest known cat in the feline family. They didn't show any tigons on the show I saw.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I think I have enough information on hyubrids now but maybe a link or two would be nice to a site that talks about them too for my folder. I can print and put more information in my folder on hybrids if you know any good web sites. Thank you for wishing me luck with my badge. I have new vfts from Mr Bob and one I bought myself and I am going to get a new nepenthes plant. I have soil mixes and I have distilled water and pots. Thanks again very very much. Nick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast