What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a hybrid?

I am asking this because I have a Boy Scout project that is a colecting Merit Badge that I am going to collect nepenthes and dionaea and I am curious and I saw the word at a carnivorous plant internet site. I am in fifth grade and this is going to be my first merit badge I am going to do on my own. My mom gave me permission to ask so please answer because she told me I had to find out on my own. I am going to keep answer to my questions in a book I am making for my project. I am also going to make a poster and draw pictures of nepenthes and dionaea. Nick

A hybrid is plant made up of 2 or more species.

For example:
S. Oreophila x S. Leucophylla = S. Oreophila x Leucophylla
N. Maxima x N. Northiana = N. x Mixta

Characteristics of the parent plants can be seen in the newborn. But not always will both characteristics show up since their are dominate and recessive genes within each plant.

it doesn't have to be with just plants though. there are hybrids of animals and i guess other organisms too.
a mule is a hybrid between a horse and a donkey.

A hybrid is anything that is made up of two combined parts
Hybrid car- gas AND electric engine
Hybrid animal- Lyger, tiger, lion

Hybrid plants- N. X Ventrata = N. alata x N. ventricosa
N. macfarlanei x N. ephippiata (a hybrid i'd really like to get mind you,) = N. macfarlanei X ephippiata

A hybrid is a cross between things, for an example a plant or animal. Hybrids are not often possible, but where it's achievable you end up with something that is halfway in appearance between the two parents. Where hybrids are possible, the result is often sterile and unable to reproduce. There are exceptions, such as with sarracenia pitcher plants, which can be crossed again and again to create an infinite variety.

Here's a website for hybrid animals: Real animal crosses

Here's an example of a sarracenia hybrid. If you cross a white pitcher plant (S. leucophylla)...

Leuco1.jpg

... with a hooded pitcher plant (S. minor):

Oke.jpg

... you get a plant which is intermediate between the two (S.x excellens). The 'x' denotes that it is a hybrid and this can also be written as S.x leucophylla x minor.

This cross has a overhanging hood which isn't quite as overhanging as S. minor (if the hood of one parent is at say 90 degrees and the other is at 0 degrees, the the hybrid will be at 45 degrees). It also has white and red coloration from the S. leucophylla:

Excellens.jpg

Excellens2.jpg

S. leucophylla's flower color is red, S. minor's is yellow, so the hybrid has orangey flowers.

Venus flytraps do not make hybrids because it is the only species within it's genus and does not cross breed with other carnivorous plants.

The different colors and shapes on the variety grown by folks are simply variations found within the species. It is still however all one species.

Tony

Great explanation, Alexis.
smile.gif

As he said, when you do cross (hybridize) two species, the resulting plant or animal is not always fertile (capable of reproducing by seed or babies). A cross between a horse and donkey, the mule, cannot reproduce. Just recently on TV I saw a "liger"...a cross between a lion and tiger. Ligers can reproduce. They are giant cats standing 12 ft. tall and weighing 900 lbs. When a tiger crosses with a lion, its called a "tigon" and they are dwarfs. Genetics can do funny things.
smile.gif

I hope you do well on your project and welcome to forums! Maybe you'll get hooked on carnivorous plants.
smile.gif

Suzanne/PAK

Does anybody have a pic of Audrey 2. That's a cross between two genera - a VFT and a butterwort.
smile_m_32.gif
A very interesting cultivar!

Thank you ver very very much.

smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hybrid animal- Lyger, tiger, lion

I dunno if this is why you thought of it or not but Napolien Dynamite was a Hillariously retarded movie!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just recently on TV I saw a "liger"...a cross between a lion and tiger. Ligers can reproduce. They are giant cats standing 12 ft. tall and weighing 900 lbs. When a tiger crosses with a lion, its called a "tigon" and they are dwarfs. Genetics can do funny things.
smile.gif

Are you telling me "ligers" are real?! Or was it just something about evolution?

As for hybrids, it seems the definition of hybrid has been thoroughly explained. Were you planning on crossing a Nep and a flytrap? If so, I HIGHLY doubt anything would happen except not getting any seed. But then again I guess that has also been established. I just wanted to post about the "liger" and "tigon" but yet I felt that I had to at least stick to the subject also.
confused.gif

"It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic."

I LOVED that movie!!

Max

No, ligers are very real.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No, ligers are very real.

Very, very real! Beware!!
smile_n_32.gif
Ok, so this just happened to be drawn by my buddy Amanda the other day so I thought I'd chime in. Oh and Crunch, good luck with the badge!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Feb. 28 2005,11:54)]Venus flytraps do not make hybrids because it is the only species within it's genus and does not cross breed with other carnivorous plants.  

The different colors and shapes on the variety grown by folks are simply variations found within the species.  It is still however all one species.

Tony
very good point tony, are all types of flytraps mutations then

Yes, ligers are real.  They occur naturally but are not a new species, just an accidental mating between lions and tigers.  From what I understand, they used to be more common when there were larger numbers of tigers and lions in close proximity to one another.  Now that numbers have dwindled due to habitat destruction and poaching, it is less common.  The one I saw on TV was an accidental mating at a animal preserve.  And let me tell you...it was HUGE.  Its the largest known cat in the feline family.  They didn't show any tigons on the show I saw.

Thank you very much. I think I have enough information on hyubrids now but maybe a link or two would be nice to a site that talks about them too for my folder. I can print and put more information in my folder on hybrids if you know any good web sites. Thank you for wishing me luck with my badge. I have new vfts from Mr Bob and one I bought myself and I am going to get a new nepenthes plant.  I have soil mixes and I have distilled water and pots. Thanks again very very much. Nick.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, ligers are real. They occur naturally but are not a new species
they dont occur naturally, tigers and lions dont even meet in the wild..scientists actually "made" them..they eat more than 40 pounds of food daily, they are very BIG animals, those ever got into the wild, it would destroy ecosystems

Okiedokie Crunch-
Ligers, wolphens, and Zorses; Oh My!

All are very much real unlike Cabbits that are an urban legend.  Rabbits and cats do not carry the same number of chromosomes and have considerably different gestation periods. We can currently only hybridize animals which are genetically alike. This means lions can mate with tigers because they are both members of the cat family. Horses can mate with zebras and produce zorses. They are all part of the same families and very alike genetically. Additionally, they have the same number of chromosomes and comparable gestation periods.

Backing up to the ligers, in natural conditions lions and tigers generally don't occupy the same territory. There is only one area in which they coexist today and that would be in India in the Gir Forest. There have been many reports of interbreeding of the species in the wild when their range included China and Persia however all are still uncomfirmed.

Ligers are not necessarily infertile. While some females can and have mated with other big cat species, no fertile males have been officially documented. In my humble opinion, this is Ma Nature's way of preventing species from becoming genetically polluted. If a female liger were to reproduce with a tiger, it would be called a titi, and if it were to reproduce with a lion, it would be called a lili.

About their size, I found this- "Ligers grow much larger than tigers or lions. This is because female lions and male tigers transmit a growth-inhibiting gene to their descendants. Being the offspring of a male lion and female tiger, the liger does not have the growth-inhibiting gene and grows much more. They will grow constantly through their lifespan until their bodies cannot sustain their size anymore".  Hence the short lifespans of the liger and hence why tigons would be much smaller because they inherit the growth-inhibiting gene twice for lack of a better explanation.

All of this I find incredibly disappointing as Tigers are above and beyond all, an endangered species. It is most unfortunate accidental breedings have occurred due to the proximity in which many have been maintained in captivity however I find intentional breedings to be questionable at best. Basically, ligers and tigons exist because of human influence.

http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/hybrid-bigcats.html

Regarding a hybrid-
A hybrid is the offspring of two organisms that belong to different breeds, varieties, species or genera.

To find a definition on your own, go to www.yahoo.com and type the word and then type dictionary and that should get you a few hits. Here's another definition for hybrid.

NOUN:
1. Genetics The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.
a. Something of mixed origin or composition.
b. Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.

Regarding a website on hybrids, generally it is best to go back to a search engine such as www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and then type the words hybrid and plants. Once the search is returned, you will have to poke around and see what meets your needs.

try here and look for an article titled “The Hybrid Dilemma” by Thomas T. Watson
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/wayne.htm

Also then please try this website-
http://www.agresearch.co.nz/scied....ant.htm

That should be enough to print off and read for now. Best wishes to you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (altrade212 @ Mar. 06 2005,1:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, ligers are real.  They occur naturally but are not a new species
they dont occur naturally, tigers and lions dont even meet in the wild..scientists actually "made" them..they eat more than 40 pounds of food daily, they are very BIG animals, those ever got into the wild, it would destroy ecosystems
true, true, they are also sterile

The male ligers are sterile. Female ligers are fertile.

Back