What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four new sculpts in progress

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
jam1.jpg

At the top there's Brendon Jason and Melissa in green toy wax (very rough yet) from Adult Swim's Home Movies show (I did Coach McGuirk a month or so ago) the kids are in scale with coach, this means they're 3" high, the smallest figures I've ever done. See the coach at: Coach Mcguirk

jam2.jpg

Probly everyone knows this fat orange cat!
smile_m_32.gif

He's being done in Sculpey Suprflex clay (which bakes "hard" but is rubbery and is bendy). I embedded heavy guitar wire in the arms, legs and tail so he'll be  bendable and hold a pose when he's finished and assembled. Garfield will be about 4-5" high. I will do John and Odie eventually too.

Hope you dig em!

Woah! This one totally slipped under the radar! Very cool, though (I love Home Movies!) Keep us updated, I love seeing these.
smile.gif

I've just finished Garfield tonight so here's a few bench shots of him (overhead lighting is bad for photos) ready for final sanding and painting. Although I have no idea when I'll have to paint all this stuff. I wish I had more free time!
jam3.jpg

jam4.jpg

Lookin' good as usual dude. When you do the Home Movies crew, you've got to do The Wizard's Baker accessories. For me. Please. Please?
~Joe

Thats neat,send me one!Just kidding,that is very cool.Keep up the good work!

Jerry

What accessories are you hoping for most? I remember McGuirk buys the sword collection off TV and tries to trade them for food at the grocery store!
smile_n_32.gif

TV Toons are difficult cos they're made for 2-D and have specific drawings for each angle sometimes what is "correct" on paper or in a printout is not always right when made into a 3-D model and looked at in turn around. Rendering cartoons in 3D is based on interpretation of the sculptor due to the design limitations of 2-D. Garfield, having been sculpted before by countless people with tons of images online to reference from was only about a 5 hour project total, most of that was sanding, parts fitting and detail cleanup.

I think that the swords and beer would be a good start (definitely one of the best Home Movies scene ever,) or the Crazy Blades outfit that Coach McGuirk has in the little animation while the credits roll. You could do Melissa's cow body, or the Skunk Scouts uniform. I think Jason and Brendon had costumes too.
I can imagine finding a 3D form to fit a selection of inconsistent 2D projections could be pretty difficult... When I'm doing ceramics and such, I have a hard enough time getting things to look the way I want them to look; making something to some physical specification isn't even an option for me yet!
Say, did you ever paint up that McGuirk? I don't think I saw it if you did.
~Joe

Yup he's all painted up here:
http://www.toyriot.com/homemovies.htm

Lately I've had the busy fingers so it's always best to work when the inspiraton is ragin, and do the paintups in the downtime or when sculptors block hits. McGuirk was the last time I had tme to paint something.

With Garfield done I had to start up this classic punk rock icon:
exploited2.jpg

exploited1.jpg

exploited3.jpg

It's 7 inches high without the 2" mohawk yet. Waiting for the teeth to bake now.
The original drawing is one of the earliest done by "Pushead" an artist most famously known for his amazingly detailed skull tee shirts for the band Metallica and the designs of the skateboard company Zorlac in the 1980s.

Back to Home Movies... These will be the "master toy" sculpts meaning just their basic costumes. From these green (Castilene) wax carvings a silicone mold will be made to create the "basic" Brendon, Jason & Melissa toy patterns in urethane. Depending upon what the client wants after seeing the initial home movies "blanks" they can be recast with  a harder form of toy wax and creating changes in expression, costume, pose, etc, then the changes sent as a urethane cast for approval.

Back