What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia featured on cnn.com

Nice! That's good exposure for a great cause. The more awareness of these spectacular plants, the better. Speaking of which, there's a glaring omission on my grow list...

Capslock

A great place to visit if you're ever along the Oregon coast. Here's a photo from last July.

dw704.jpg

Don't know how I did it but it seems to be the plant I'm best at growing.

Hope that place is still there when I finally get the chance to visit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... but scientists are still learning how the plant thrives and how it pollinates.

Pffft, scientists? Nonsense! It's all about us, the small guys.
smile_m_32.gif
Not to mention, I wouldn't mind government funding to grow CP.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Mar. 01 2005,6:54)]Don't know how I did it but it seems to be the plant I'm best at growing.
congrats End, propaply not the easiest CP out there. definatly not in my book. i killed several Lowes Darlinonia in near perfect conditons from what i was told. i had given up but some one sent me an itty bitty division from a greenhouse hardened off plant and it has thrived in constant adverse conditions for me. i think what "clone" yah have can influence things greatly.

I can sort of grow them. the thing is the darned dormancy! well... I got them to survive one winter... I guess that counts.

I haven't gone through dormancy with one yet. Maybe that'll be my downfall.

I'm pretty sure it's because they were too moist. I just discovered that parts of the sarr. rubra and VFTs' rhizome were rotting (actually maggots were eating it...) so I cleaned them up and transplanted them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Mar. 02 2005,8:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"The pitcher plants are living in an alkaline environment,"

That doesn't sound right  
smile_l_32.gif
Alvin,

I know what you mean, especially since they are often found on sphagnum mats. I think it's in reference to the serpentine areas they are found in. I "think" that serpentine is alkaline, but am not 100% sure. When they talk about N. rajah and other plants in that area, they sometimes say "ultra basic" (also ultamafic, I think) soils, because of similar minerals in them. There is still plenty of decaying matter for them to grow in.
The Nepenthes that grow on limestone cliffs grow in pockets containing decaying plant material, so it's more peat-like. I think "Savage Garden" even recommends an alkaline medium for N. northiana, but if you ask some people growing this plant(like Jeff Shafer), he is not using anything like that.

Cheers,

Joe

Back