What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All men were created equal

• Thread starter SunPitcher
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All men were created equal

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

All are equal in the sense that we are all entitles to full citizenship and our basic human rights.

Obviously, we are not all physically or intellectually equal, but in the sense that we are all people, we are all equal, and all entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Capslock

All humans are that way, but some don't think that way. I think that humans are created equal, but there are some physical differences between men and women that shouldn't be allowed to create a difference in social levels.

I do think that there are different jobs that are better suited for each gender though. Men naturally have a lower body fat percentage, and have larger muscles (ah the wonders of science class).

I do agree with capslock though, each of us are different in some way, but we should have the same rights.

Of course the female of the species might have a few opinions about male equality....
smile_m_32.gif

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." a quote from George Orwell's book, Animal Farm

If you have not read it yet, it is a great book that is a quick read, if you get the chance. It covers the topic of equality in society.

Why did you start this topic? Its starting to dawn upon some people topics are started purposely to stir up disagreement.

But anyway, you get what you ask for, and not everyone is created equal.
Obviously not, for some people are born higher in society, some lower. We all have the same rights though, in America at least to pursue happiness. And in most other countries.
Physically everyone is born equal, and in brains everyone is born equal, except for people with mental illness or physical defects.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Mar. 01 2005,3:27)]Physically everyone is born equal, and in brains everyone is born equal,
no way..not everyone is equal physically or mentally.
I couldnt be a pro basketball player if I wanted to, no matter how much I tried.
and I wont be winning the nobel prize for physics anytime soon.
but im perfectly healthy and perfectly smart!
but plenty of people are naturally physically weaker than me. (not counting illness)
and plenty of people are much dumber than me. (not counting mental retardation)
so no way..not everone is totally "equal" in that respect..not even close.

not everyone can reach the same levels in carrers or success..
not everyone can be doctors.
not everyone can be a pro athelete..
what we CAN all do however is reach the highest heights that our inborn physical and mental capabilities will take us..
most people dont even bother to do that.
mostly because of lazyness. (especially in America with our "entitlement" culture..too many people think everything should just be given to them..and so they never bother to do anything with their own lives on their own..thats their fault when they dont go anywhere in life.)

so thats where the REAL equality lies..
the equal ability to reach our full potential.
(and the "full potential" is NOT the same for everyone)
its not literal equality in physical or mental ability, thats impossible.
Scot

I disagree with Scot because I don't think people have an equal ability to reach their full potential.  The child of a wealthy & influential family can be a drunk screw-up for decades, but can always rely on the helping hand of family and others.  Who knows, maybe even become president.  A highly intelligent and motivated child of a poor family can see her future derailed for any number of reasons.

I screwed up when I first started college and ended up nearly flunking out before dropping out and driving a truck and working on the staff of a sheltered workshop for six months.  But my parents supported my return to school and that time it worked.  Lots and lots of 19 year olds in my situation would never have gotten a second chance.  Some undoubtedly had higher potential than me.

By the way, men (and women) aren't created, but it seems we've covered that topic before.

hmmm..I dont know Bruce,
I agree with you to an extent, but I also think people can find a way to do something if they really want to.

for example, I went to a SUNY (State U of NY) college because its all I thought I could afford.
good education! and I dont regret it.
but I always wanted to go to Cornell.
I just thought there was no way financially..
but I ended up getting my entire education paid for by grants and loans! my parents didnt pay a dime. (which was good, because they couldnt afford a dime!)
I just finished paying off my college loans last year.
(only $12,000 for 5 years! not bad)
so..could I have gone to Cornell?
probably..I just would have had a much larger loan load!
but if I had gone for engineering or something like that, I could probably afford the huge loans.
So poverty didnt have to hold me back..

of course, if you are poor and you go to Cornell and you graduate with $100,000 in college loans, you better make darn sure you pick a major thats going to pay you a ton of money! be a doctor, dont go to Cornell to be a liberal arts major! ;)
but if you have the mental capability to do that, being poor doesnt have to be an obstacle..

and you said in your case "you screwed up".
well..that was your choice, you didnt *have* to screw up.
so that obstacle wasnt something that was out your control..

and those other 19year olds who didnt get the second chance..well maybe they didnt, but in that case its their fault that they needed a second chance that never came.
they HAD the first chance..they chose to not take advantage of it..
again, thats just a choice, not a rigid unsolvable obstacle..

Scot

closed at the topic creators request.

will delete it tomorrow.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back