What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow lists

Just something I have noticed....everytime I look at somebody's link to their grow list, it is from the CPUK forum. Should there be a spot here to have those, or are we content to parasitize off the CPUK , lol?
Just curious.

Cheers,

Joe

Yes, I brought up the subject of having growlists here to my fellow mods a couple of months ago  
confused.gif

I support the idea, all the threads of "Post your growlist here" take up space. If we had a forum just for growlists, NO REPLIES, we could link to our own specific topics and edit them from time to time to update them. An example would be

Growlists as a forum
Topic: Joe's growlist
then post your info and link the topic to your profile, etc.

Yes, and if editing were allowed indefinitely it would make maintaining it even easier- not sure if the software allows for that (you'd hope so, but you know)
That way all the previous "great growlist threads" could be purged as well, making even more space

It would be a really helpful feature, but everytime the topic surfaces, it seems to go dormant again before it flowers.....

Do you really think people aren't going to reply with the usual wows, and if you have any extra, and I'll trade posts?

Oh, that wouldn't be an issue if the threads were all locked but still "editable"
There's always the PM button at the bottom of the post, after all
That's the beauty of a separate forum for it, with special rules, that way one wouldn't have to scroll through 20 pages of a thread to find a specific person's current GL

if it is possible it would be perfect, and the forum would be easily searchable (especially if PinguiculaMan fixes all the names
smile_m_32.gif
)

I support this notion!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Mar. 04 2005,5:33)]Oh, that wouldn't be an issue if the threads were all locked but still "editable"
There's always the PM button at the bottom of the post, after all
That's the beauty of a separate forum for it, with special rules, that way one wouldn't have to scroll through 20 pages of a thread to find a specific person's current GL

if it is possible it would be perfect, and the forum would be easily searchable (especially if PinguiculaMan fixes all the names
smile_m_32.gif
)
Yea, like a "only creator of thread can reply to this topic"

And mods of course
smile_m_32.gif

Would we be able to list plants PFT sells?

I do believe the discussion here is about a GROW list, not a selling list. Obviously there will be a lot of people who will have PFT plants on their grow lists because they bought them from Phil (thereby supporting this great forum that Phil so kindly allows us to have).

If this Grow List forum were to be created, I would hope people would use the information respectfully and not look at the lists as a place to forage for free plant material. Members should be respectful and not pester folks with emails and PMs asking to be given or to purchase plants. Its always best to let someone OFFER first (Trade Forum) rather than to go around asking to be given plant material.

Typically, a trade or SASE offer will come out of the Trading Post Forum or an established forum friendship and one can use their grow list to facilitate a trade. I always tell people to click on my grow list so they can see if anything interests them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 04 2005,1:20)]Typically, a trade or SASE offer will come out of the Trading Post Forum or an established forum friendship and one can use their grow list to facilitate a trade. I always tell people to click on my grow list so they can see if anything interests them.
Well thats what I meant.. alot of people use their growlist to advertise what they have spares of or can offer for trade. Would we not be able to list CP's from PFT because of that? Or just not be allowed to note we have extras?

A grow list is just that. A GROW LIST. It is NOT an advertisement of plants available to sell or trade. If this forum is created, it would be there for the purpose of listing the plants a member grows. It would not be a place for "advertising" anything. Members should always wait until an offer is made on the trade forums. Obviously among friends, anything can be arranged privately. The list can be a reference for people when someone directs a person to their list if a trade is being arranged either on the Trade Forum or privately.

While it would be great to be able to see what members are growing, it could become a problem if someone has sought-after plants and gets pestered with requests, private or otherwise. Each member would have to be respectful of people's privacy. It is best to wait for *offers* on the Trade Forum since our very generous members are so good at making great offers there.

This subject is being discussed in the Mod Forum and we will let the membership know the results. We have to wait until Phillip has the time to address this but it seems to have a lot of support.

Hang in there...we'll have an answer for you soon I hope.
smile.gif

well I think its o.k if someone sends the grow list owners person a P.M or email if the owner specificly states that they can do that to see if there are spares available......but otherwise its NOT o.k to do that

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bonnie @ Mar. 05 2005,2:03)]Well thats what I meant.. alot of people use their growlist to advertise what they have spares of or can offer for trade. Would we not be able to list CP's from PFT because of that? Or just not be allowed to note we have extras?
Bonnie, as Suzzane stated, its a Growlist, of course you can list plants PFT sells, that is not the problem. The problem would be if you titled your topic "Bobs Trade list" Or "Bobs Selling List". A growlist just shows the current plants in your collection. Then you make an offer in the trading forum, reference your growlist and people can make you offers. Fairly simple and easy to understand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 05 2005,1:43)]Bonnie, as Suzzane stated, its a Growlist, of course you can list plants PFT sells, that is not the problem. The problem would be if you titled your topic "Bobs Trade list" Or "Bobs Selling List". A growlist just shows the current plants in your collection. Then you make an offer in the trading forum, reference your growlist and people can make you offers. Fairly simple and easy to understand.
My question was- alot of growers I know indicate on their growlist what plants they have extras of for trade, etc. Would this be considered against the rules here? Thats all I'm asking.

Hmm.. Maybe you could make it a sub forum? (A growlist forum INSIDE the trade forum)

Is that what your asking?

Example:

D. muscipula typical - 2 extra plants
N. alata 2 extra cuttings

Someting like that?

If so, I don't think it would be against the rule because you aren't stating that I have 2 extra flytraps to trade. I don't think it is necessary to list extra plants in your growlist anyways. A growlist like I stated earlier is simple what you currently have in your collection. I don't think there is a need to list extras. If you wish to list location data and descriptive features of the plants thats fine. I would only worry about the possibility of trading if someone inquires about a plant. Then you can say "Why yes I do have an extra of that!" or "No I'm sorry I only have one plant."

If we get a growlist forum, Sundoodle can list his P. elbow bag and all his prank calls from AIM Reality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 05 2005,7:51)]If we get a growlist forum, Sundoodle can list his P. elbow bag and all his prank calls from AIM Reality.
um, thats random
confused.gif
whats an elbow bag and whats aim prank calls reality or whatever

Back