Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Animals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it immoral to have debate whether or not certain animals can feel pain, whilst still inficting it on the off chance they can't feel it?

There's a big debate whether fish can feel pain. I don't see why they shouldn't, but people still spear them!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course fish can feel pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    animals are smarter than us by far. They just dont have the tools to show it. (i.e. apposable thumbs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 08 2005,3:49)]animals are smarter than us by far. They just dont have the tools to show it. (i.e. apposable thumbs)
    primates have apposable thumbs, chimps use tools and transmit culture.

Personally the more i study non-human primates the more intellegent i find them to be. Some chimps have even been taught to read simple words and sentances and spell them correctly. You can teach the non-human apes to do amazing things (like laundry, making stone tools, making tea, cooking a meal, starting fires(a fav. of orangutans) and many other things people do). Also it has been shown that chimpanzees have the mental capabilities to process and use some complex forms of speach however they lack the anatomical structure (issues with the hyoid bone and vocal chords) so i would say a great many of the animals out there have a good deal of intellegence, however i am not familar with the ones that are not primates.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that anybody who has a cat or a dog has successfully been trained by them.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think animals definely have emotions. All you have to do is watch mama animals with their babies to know that. It goes beyond just instinct. And dogs do react to their humans with affection, jealousy, irritation and curiosity.

I don't know about the lower forms of animal life though. I do think fish feel pain...that's why I hate fishing. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Not sure what consciousness is... people are still trying to figure it out
    lol. we don't know what it is but they don't have it!
    Quote[/b] ]You may even vaguely remember that something was going on in your brain before, but you just weren't there at the time
    ok... so basically you think only mammals and birds know they exist? the others are just a bunch of reactions to a bunch of stimuli without doing anything? they're just an object that happens to be made out of cells? as self aware as your liver is that it is a liver?
    ok... I'm not sure about rotifers and most arthropods... but fish, reptiles, amphibians, etc? I think they do know they exist. many of them do anyway.
    I think that for something to think ahead, it has to have a sense of self. It has to be concious. You have to think what YOU are going to do and where you're going to be at that time... and the spider thinks ahead so I don't see how it can NOT be concious.
    and I still don't think you need conciousness to feel pain. You can be sleeping but still feel pain, and I don't think that 97% of all animals live in a mental state of conciousness that can be compared to sleep.
    Quote[/b] ]You can teach the non-human apes to do amazing things (like laundry, making stone tools, making tea, cooking a meal, starting fires(a fav. of orangutans) and many other things people do)
    many times you don't have to teach them. They just watch you and learn by themselves.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only mammals and birds? What about my favorite Cephalopods like the Octopus, Squid and Cuttlefish? The Octopus has certainly demonstrated the ability to learn and make plans. It can recognize faces from people, develop habits, solve puzzles, and even show curiosity. Stories include an octopus that kept blasting water at an aqarium keeper every time the person walked by, just because it wanted to. I believe that this creature surely has some sort of consiousness. If only it could live long enough to actually have a deeper thought like us humans (they only live for about a year).

Cuttlefish on the other hand have been shown to comunicate with one another useing their amazing ability to change color. They have been seen traveling in packs and violently chainging colors at each other. Sometimes, half of the cuttlefish is one color; trying to talk to another cuttlefish, while the other half is another color; talking to a different cuttlefish. I think that some scientist has gone as far as decifering some of their flashing colors.

But I think that all animals including worms can learn (a worm is made to take a fork in the road. One end leads to something good, while the other is a mild electric shock. it learned to only take the good end). Its just that whe cant find out if advanced movements like the ones performed by the jumping spider is really instinct. Thats why I kinda lean to the idea that insects are just little computers that are able to learn, but with no consiousness.

For sure, larger mammals like elephants, horses, etc. have a conciousness. This may be because they are a bigger more apealing target and need to deal with more obsticles like to walk into the marsh or take the steep hill.

Fishes probably feel pain. I dont know why people think they dont, but if they can feel anything, they can probably feel pain. A lampray on a salmon will cause the salmon to be irritated and stressed, because it can feel it. Also, fishes can probably learn too. Any fish keeper would know that they all rise to the surface when you pass by thinking that you will feed them. Who said goldfish have only a 5 second memory?

So in conclusion, larger animals have a consiousness because they need to plan to live. Smaller animals like bugs rely on instinct because there is no need for inteligence. Then again, none of this can be proved. Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast