What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomorrow is the big day

schloaty

Staff member
I will be presenting a CP talk to the Ronald Edmunds Learning Center (Middle school 113) tomorrow in Brooklyn on behalf of the NECPS.

Oh, boy....here come the butterflies!
smile_t_32.gif

No sleep tonight....

Let 'cha all know how it went...

just relax dude, it'll be fine, i have done some presentations, everyone seems to love the fact that these plants "eat bugs" You might want to let the children do the feeding if you're planning on one, my audiences liked that

hopefully some of them will be impressed and get into CPing
biggrin.gif

I had my first vft at 5th grade and I took care of it well, I just didn't know anything about dormancy, and it will be good if at least one student or more got into cps.

Good luck on the cp presentation!

Jerry

I could fed x you some stress balls? LOL I am sure you will do fine and people will enjoy what you have to say.
smile.gif
Good Luck!

Errrr...stress balls?? I think he already has some.
laugh.gif

smile_l_32.gif

Relax....I'm sure you'll do fine. I'll bet it will be lots of fun. Can't wait to hear about it so don't forget to give us an update. Go get 'em Schloaty!!

Dave, relax!! I had the butterflies too when my oldest boy roped me into a CP talk at his Junior High. Some how, three other science classes got wind of it, and asked my son's teacher if they could join him. From the classroom to the Auditorium. Of course, the wife and my son were not going to tell me anything or I would have canceled, toot sweet!!!!! Instead, I went in to the auditorium to set up, wondering why the whole dang place? Why so big? The teacher, warned not to spill his innards to me at all if he expected to have a lecture, told me the acoustics were better, and it was best for showing the video "Death Traps" from the Nature series. How many of you have seen "Death Traps"? FANTASTIC!!! Anyway, I got set up and waited for the class. The video screen was set, and all I had to do was wait for them to come in. I heard them coming, and it sounded like a thundering herd of Bison going by. I figured it was the echos from the hallway doing that to the sound. Before the doors opened, I turned on the video so the kids coming in would see CP right off the top! The ones coming into the door were transfixed to the video, and plugged the doorway in. It piled up behind them. They started wondering loudly what was going on, and would they please move, and what was so cool they had to stop, and what are those, etc. Lots of pushing and shoving, then exclamations like. "what the heck??, and. "wow, cool!!!!. Somehow they made their way through the door, and the auditorium was really full. Good thing it was dark for the video, and the kids didn't see me pick my jaw up off the floor. About 120 kids, and no where for me to run. So I shot the teacher a look, and stopped the video at the end of the VFT sequence. They sat absolutely attentive to everything about carnivcorous plants, and some of the most intelligent questions I have ever heard came from that group of kids. I ended up having a very good time, my fears gone, and the kids absolutely blown away. They loved it. And one way you know they loved it was one kid, whom I know, was lipping off, and trying to disrupt the whole lecture, sitting with his cronies. HIS OWN gang picked him up and threw him out of the auditorium, because they loved it, and wanted to hear more. Had the time of my life, and you will too. Gave lectures freely after that, with no fear at all. CP are always well received.

PAK,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
shame on you - potty mouth!

It's cool man, I used to give presentations about all kinds of plant crap. The cool thing is usually..........oh yeah, nevermind they don't have a choice in being at school. I was gonna say usually they're there because they want to know about what you're talking about, but nevermind. Watch out for tomatoes.................to-may-toes.........to-mah-toes.......hmmm.
confused.gif

It's bedtime for Bonzo, nighny guys!

joe

I did one once at a public library. Don't let the kids touch the pings. My agnata 'True Blue' (or was it 'Scented'?) popped right out of the soil. I bet I had the best look on my face.
Actually, I don't have that plant anymore after that....
Anyway it was well worth it.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 10 2005,11:05)]PAK,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
shame on you - potty mouth!

It's cool man, I used to give presentations about all kinds of plant crap. The cool thing is usually..........oh yeah, nevermind they don't have a choice in being at school. I was gonna say usually they're there because they want to know about what you're talking about, but nevermind. Watch out for tomatoes.................to-may-toes.........to-mah-toes.......hmmm.
confused.gif

It's bedtime for Bonzo, nighny guys!

joe
Yea, and then the smiley looking at the words "stress balls"

smile_k_ani_32.gif

tomatoes.................to-may-toes.........to-mah-toes.......tomatoes.................to
-may-toes.........to-mah-toes....... watch out
smile_m_32.gif

Talk about getting misconstrued...Just trying to help.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Hey Everyone, thanks for the words of encouragement.

The talk went great! I'm actually a teacher (some of you may know that) as a side job, so I was more nervous that the kids wouldn't be interested than nervous about being up in front of people.

But they were really into it! The first half was a lecture for which I used a slide show prepared by our very own Wildbill. Then I did a feeding, demostrated how to do a nep cutting (ventrata), and left the cutting with the teacher as class plants. Once that part was done, all the kids put newspaper over their desks, I handed out mini pots (plastic bathroom cups with holes cut in the bottom) and soil (pete/perlite mix), and they all got to sow their own D. capensis seeds.

Oh, and PAK sent me a whole bunch of NASC brochures, so I definately talked about conservation.

You how the science teacher justified the presentation to the board? You're gonna love this....

They were studying the digestive system!

I gave out this forum web page, so hopefully we'll have some curious middle schoolers from Brooklyn dropping in for a peek.

congrats! i'm glad it went well

ROFLMAO!!! digestive system? oh boy.
I've had teachers that show us TOTALLY unrelated movies and justify showing them by just one scene... for example, in my woodworking class, the teacher showed us a movie and was like "see that door there? carpenters make doors" and that was that. lol

I get really nervous with public speaking. it doesn't matter if it's all family or all strangers :p
there is more awareness of CPs in the world. yay! lol

Sounds like a great time to me. I'm glad it went well.
smile.gif

I did a presentation to the local Senior Citizens group, it was a little hard for me to get up to a microphone and speak, but I was amazed at some of the question asked, all intellgent and good choice ones also. A few I couldn't answer, particularly this one, if i remember correctly: "Why are these plants so beautiful looking and not ordinary like a Begonia?" Just couldn't really give that lady a straight out good answer, I don't know why they look so good, they just do! lol Thats why we grow them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 12 2005,7:07)]I did a presentation to the local Senior Citizens group, it was a little hard for me to get up to a microphone and speak, but I was amazed at some of the question asked, all intellgent and good choice ones also. A few I couldn't answer, particularly this one, if i remember correctly: "Why are these plants so beautiful looking and not ordinary like a Begonia?" Just couldn't really give that lady a straight out good answer, I don't know why they look so good, they just do! lol Thats why we grow them!
to attract insects?
smile_m_32.gif
some insects are fascinated by colors right?

Back