What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skull

Thats why I said dolphin. But it does not have two blow holes and they are in the wrong place

tvulture.jpg
take away parts of this vulture skull, and you can see many many similarities.

A dolphins blow hole has nothing to do with his skull, nor does a whales. Here...

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphic....-lg.jpg

pacific-white-sided-skull-lg.jpg

Also, how many of those holes are functional and how many are just damage? It's hard to tell what's a break or what's missing in the photo.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Mar. 12 2005,8:22)]
tvulture.jpg
 take away parts of this vulture skull, and you can see many many similarities.

A dolphins blow hole has nothing to do with his skull, nor does a whales.  Here...

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphic....-lg.jpg

pacific-white-sided-skull-lg.jpg
Well, explain what the wierd hook thing is in the front, going down..
confused.gif

All three of the holes are the natural.

I've asked on other forums and got:

ichthyosaur skull

"Some wierd part of a fish I'll get back to you later"

rodent

"A alien"

Here are some new photos:

Skull2.jpg

Notice my fingers.. It's pretty small, about 2 and a half inches.. I had people on other forums thinking it was the size of a football
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Skull3.jpg

Skull4.jpg

Skull5.jpg

umm... are you SURE it's not fake? LOL it looks fake.... the more I look at it the more convinced i am that it's fake... but what the heck.
ok... why I don't think it's a bird-
1. the overall shape of the head. it's too wide and flat
2. I'd think that the beak would still be there
3. I see the places where the teeth should be. see those holes?
4. the cranium is too big

now... you say you found it on a beach... which would explain the lack of the ... the.... darn it... well, the eye bone thing and the missing teeth. I've found two skulls and on both of them the front teeth were either about to fall off or gone. Front teeth only have one root (unlike molars.. which have two or three) and are pretty easy to pull out. also- with all that rolling and bumping and stuff it was eroded and the eye socket bone was broken off.
I don't think it's a reptile skull anymore because the front teeth wouldn't be so big... unless it had huge teeth compared to it's size.
so... that leads me to say it's a mammal...
it's definately not a rodent because rodents have big teeth and they go ALL the way back to the back of their skull. the size of the teeth holes would be bigger, and it would probably still have teeth because they go so far back.
I also dubt that it's a hervivore because I can't think of any hervivore with a head that looks even remotely to that.
so... if it's not a bird, fish, reptile, rodent, racoon (I have a racoon skull), or hervivore... what is it?
where the hell is the nasal cavity though? and what's up with the back of the head? that raised thing wouldn't allow much movement of the head would it? and why can't I see the raised thing in the second to last picture?

Doesn't salt water also erode this kind of material? I think that's why the edges are all worn down... who knows what else is gone.

I don't know what that thing in the front is that curves down and back, but I don't think it's a tooth. Maybe it's half of the roof of the mouth (the palate?).

Looks to me like a damaged gator skull, how big is it? Maybe an ex-pet caiman if it's it real small. any teeth left in it? less blurred pics would help alot.

That would have to be a deformed gator.

IT's not rat, you can tell by the fact the "eye sockets", meaning the two holes in the centre of the top/bottom surface of the skull are much too small for the size of the skull and they are too close together. Also, if that was a rat skull, the rat would be at least 10" long, not including tail.

The sort of flowing ares near what many people are calling the "nose" indicates some sort of adaption to accomodate tubes or something like that. Perhaps, wind pipes or a propulsion sytem like octopi and cuttlefish.

No teeth left, no way it's a gator 'cause there aren't any around here..

It's not fake

ack! i need to sleep. I'm dellusional. I'm reading things that aren't there.

I've had a hard day and night, and i've been working like a dog
I've had a hard day and night, I should be sleeping like a log (or something like that... lyrics from a song)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 12 2005,5:45)]ack! i need to sleep. I'm dellusional. I'm reading things that aren't there.

I've had a hard day and night, and i've been working like a dog
I've had a hard day and night, I should be sleeping like a log (or something like that... lyrics from a song)
sure.. just get back to me in the morning!

ITS A ALIEN! lol.. seriously though.. what could it be? i dont want to take it to a museum because they'll pull some bullcrap on me and say its not mine cause i got it in the ocean

those 2 little holes are definately NOT eye sockets..
no animals has its eyes on the top of its cranium..
the eye sockets are gone.
I think we are looking at the cranium and part of the lower skull.
eye sockets and upper jaw arent there.
it is not a complete upper skull.

I have been trying to find something that has 2 small holes near the top of the skull! not coming up with anything that looks even remotely close..
im still stumped!
when you are looking at skull photos, keep in mind that we are dealing with a skull fragment..it has probably been much weathered by water.

IMO, It could be something like this:

temp-mysteryskull.jpg

Scot

can i see a pic straght from the back and one that shows the bottom holes better. it will give a better idea of how the skull articulates with the body which will help tell how much of hte skull is left.

That can't be the nasal opening because it's not centered.

I have an idea. Email the picture to a museum.

the opening in the skullk are most likely holes that prevent the jaw muscles from exerting pressure on the braincase when chewing and related studfd with the jaw. The holes vary from none (turtele and their allies) to many. thats what i think it is

I thought it might have been the sinuses that got broken off with all that rolling around in the ocean. you can even see it's not fully broken off. I had never heard of the holes you're talking about finch... could they be the sinuses too?

dang i forget what there called, one sec

Back