What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello i'm new

Hi, I looked at the forum before and decided I should join. I live in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl. I own several Carnivorous Plants including a couple Venus Fly Traps, a sundew, a butterwort and a pitcher plant. I think the pitcher plant is Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' since that is what the "Savage Garden" has a picture of. I water the plants with distilled and rain water. My Pitcher Plant seems to be growing oddly though. Some of the pitchers are deformed. All twisted and everything. The plant gets full sunlight though. What should I do? I have only had it two weeks. My other plants seem happy. I keep looking but Carnivorous Plants are so expensive. The local Ace Hardware has Tropical pitcher plants for $33. Are all tropical pitcherplants this expensive?

not always you can buy them online cheap and sometimes youll find some on clearence or something, your Sarracenia seems to be breaking dormancy as alot of plants normally do, give it a couple weeks and if they dont straighten up then you should worry

Wait you live in PVB? Yes someone near me!!! I will give you a bunch of plants if you want them. You should be potting the plants in Sphagnum Peat Moss and Sand. Sometimes from stores they do not have them potted in the right stuff

My first thought was that your pitcher plant wasn't getting enough sun, but you said it gets full sun. My second thought is that it may have aphids. Check to see if there are small slow moving bugs on it. If not just give it some time. . Are they hooked shaped, without hoods, pitchers or openings. If so It could be phyllodiform leaves, which is nothing to really worry about. Do you know when the last time your plant was dormant?

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums.

No bugs. I bought it from Ace but I really don't know how long since it was dormant. Some of the pitchers are normal. The rest are mutated. I mean some are crushed looking and others sideways. I did not see any pictures in the 'Savage Garden' like it. I got it for $4 and would like more but our Ace only had one. I really like the picture of the Sweet Pitcher Plant on the gulf coast, something like Sarracenia ruber gulfensis hence my name. Could I get one of these somewhere?

Stick around here, Gulfensis, and you'll have more plants than you know what to do with. A LOT of trading goes on. Also, check the owners of this site for great deals on plants.

Capslock

Did you transplant it? it might just be stress. Plants do weird things when they're stressed. My cobra lily (darlingtonia californica) made TOTALLY new pitchers when it was stressed. then after a while it went back to normal pitchers.
welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

No not yet. It's not that big yet. I was looking at some peoples pictures and they have hugh plants and plantings.

Here's some pics of phyllodiform leaves.

soreo22.jpg

soreo07.jpg

Thanks Barry for the pics.

If you can get a pic of it, it may help us help you.

If you just got the plant, then the leaves may be mutilated because of little kids and adults touching and breaking the pitchers.

Welcome Gulfensis. I sure that you will like it here.

I think maybe some of the older pitchers because of no water and maybe the new ones are supposed to be that way. The lid has no "neck". The one that is growing looks okay so far. One day I will get a camera. I only have disposable ones. They are cheaper.

welcome to the forums!!

some nepenthes are expensive, but if it's a large one 30 bucks is a good deal!

Welcome to our CP community, Gulfensis!!!

I'm sorry,I can't help you with your problem,I am a newbie(only had CP's for 1 week now)But I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.This place is great.Nice people and good advice!*Trapper7*(Niki)
smile.gif

Welcome gulfensis. Many places sell plants for low prices i don't know why those are so high. I got my first nep for 12 bucks and it was over a foot tall with 5 inch pitchers.
confused.gif
I think it would be cheapest if Treaqum gave you some for free though. Hey Tre, come take a vacation here in Jan Jose!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gulfensis @ Mar. 12 2005,5:01)]Hi, I looked at the forum before and decided I should join.  I live in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.  I own several Carnivorous Plants including a couple Venus Fly Traps, a sundew, a butterwort and a pitcher plant.  I think the pitcher plant is Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' since that is what the "Savage Garden" has a picture of.  I water the plants with distilled and rain water.  My Pitcher Plant seems to be growing oddly though.  Some of the pitchers are deformed.  All twisted and everything.  The plant gets full sunlight though.  What should I do?  I have only had it two weeks.  My other plants seem happy.  I keep looking but Carnivorous Plants are so expensive.  The local Ace Hardware has Tropical pitcher plants for $33.  Are all tropical pitcherplants this expensive?
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??! $33?!?!?!?!?
You ARE kidding me!
Here they sell them for £10 online which is about $14:50

Are we allowed to order them from England?

Well this morning I went over to Gulfensis's and I gave him a few plants. I am sure he will update his growlist soon
smile.gif

Back