What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any former or current chinchilla breeders here?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
thanks for the info seedjar. like i said these two had been together for over 2 years and no kits, this lil one really surprised us. as to seperating the male out its a bit difficult at this point. we gave them a large cage with no thoughts of having to seperate them. he behaves himself so im just going to leave him for now. if Chimi winds up pregnant again right away, we will divise some way to keep him seperated which im sure will break his heart. as to eating moms food he has been nibbling at their hay already. i couldnt believe how fully formed he was, eyes are open and he was hopping around from day one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So yeah rabbits ARE rodents,lol.They aren't closely related to rodents,but they ARE related.*Niki*
just like humans are related to monkeys but we're not monkeys. (APES ARE NOT MONKEYS! argh! that has to be a big pet peeve of mine.)

They differ from rodents in that:

they have four (not two as in rodents) incisors in the upper jaw;
the male's scrotum is in front of the male reproductive organ;
the male reproductive organ has no bone as does the rodents'; and
they will re-digest first time feces to obtain the most from their plant diet.
They resemble rodents, however, in that their teeth grow throughout their life, thus necessitating constant chewing to keep them from growing too long.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagomorpha
hmm... I wonder why I thought their teeth didn't grow constatnly.
and don't guineapigs eat their own poop too?

I don't know if guinea pigs eat their poop.I had one when I was young but I can't remember if it did or not.But I know my rabbit does.There's some sort of nutrients in there right?But then again my 5 month old puppy still eats poop
confused.gif
*Niki*
smile.gif

lol. I heard puppies are supposed to grow out of it. I wonder why they do it... isn't it for some sort of dominance thing?
I have a guneapig but I've never been able to see if he eats his own poop or not.
The reason they eat their poop is because they can't digest the plants very well so they need to digest them again. other animals bring up food and chew it again :p I would rather bring up food than eat my own poop but oh well :p

LOL yes I wouldn't want to eat my own poop either
confused.gif
And yeah I heard that puppies are supposed to grow out of it,but WHEN???LOL.I've never heard the dominance thing,I just heard that they eat anything and EVERYTHING.He also likes to eat wood,snails,rocks and so on,but of course I stop him as soon as I notice.Darn dog acts like I don't feed him at all
smile_n_32.gif
Ok well this is way off the topic of baby chins,sorry bout that
smile_l_32.gif
*Niki*

Back