What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My other obsession besides cps...

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
My ceylon puffers (2spot, Dumbell, and M). Can you distinguish between the three?  
smile.gif

montage_rs.jpg

My fahaka puffer, Skeletor.
fahaka_montage_rs.jpg

Skeletor trying to be a slug. It was moving along the plastic hose...in pic 6, you see it GLARING at me...
snail_rs.jpg

For more photos, visit:
http://www.freespaces.com/gepp/puffers/pufferhome.html

They are cute Cindy!
smile.gif

But they all look the same to me.
confused.gif

Oooooh..... aaaaah!
smile.gif

Awwwwwweeeee, how cute! I've always wanted some puffer fish but salt water tanks seem like too much work.
Has anyone seen the dwarf puffer fish at petsmart? They are the coolest little things!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 14 2005,2:24)]Awwwwwweeeee, how cute!  I've always wanted some puffer fish but salt water tanks seem like too much work.
Has anyone seen the dwarf puffer fish at petsmart?  They are the coolest little things!
Those are the figure eight puffers in cindys first photo.. Petsmart keeps them in freshwater; they can live in it but it's not all that healthy for them
confused.gif
 Not to mention they want a ton too..

Never buy fish from petsmart or petco! They're evil I tell you, Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil

I think that's hilarious, him acting like a slug.. How do you care for them? I always wanted some miniature puffers
smile_l_32.gif
Only puffers for sale around here are a couple of those big venomous kinds

Puffers, like Scats, Monos, Archer Fish,... are brackish water fish, which is partway between fresh and salt. These fish can be adapted to either extreme.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But they all look the same to me.
I see at least two. if you notice, two of them have yellow forheads with a thick dark band behind... other two have darker forheads, and I'm not sure about this one but one has a yellowish forhead with a thin dark band. I really can't tell with the bottom two

The dwarf puffers are totally freshwater. Figure 8's and Green puffers are brackish. Though frankly I know nothing about puffers.

Nflytrap,

You may be right, but I have never run accross a puffer that is totally Fresh Water.

Gorgeous Puffers Cindy. My wife is in love with them as well, we are going to be setting up, hopefully, this year, a Diodontidae puffer fish tank, 115 gallons. (this is the porcupine puffer) they have grogeous blue green eyes.

For those that don't know, puffers are generally considered the 'dogs' of the aquarium world, they learn to recognize their owners and interact with them... though, you don't want one to think your fingers are a treat! Ouch!

OH wow! Beautiful little guys aren't they
smile.gif
I LOVE Puffers.I've always wanted one but I only have a ten gallon tank,and that's not big enough.Here(in Canada)we have a Puffer fish that can live in fresh water.At least that's what the fish lady said,lol.There was one that really looked like a dog(like RamPuppy said)and it was white with black spots,so it looked just like a dalmation
smile_n_32.gif
So why should you never buy fish from PetsMart or Petco?Why are they eeeeviiiiiiillllll?lol.*Niki*
smile_o_32.gif

SunDoode182:
They are not Figure-of-eight puffers.  
smile.gif
 F8s grow to a maximum of 3" but ceylon puffers grow up to 6" in aquariums. Hehe, it's easy to mix up the two but it will be a BIG difference when they start growing. Dwarf puffers would be what you would like to have. Max of 1 inch, I think. But I find them too tiny. Btw, Skeletor will eventually grow to one foot long! They are easy to care for. Feed and change water every week.

TheAlphaWolf:
You're right. There's one which is distinctly different from the other two. It is brighter in colour and the markings are more conspicious. I can only tell the other two apart when I am nearer to the tank.

Rampup: Skeletor is a freshwater puffer!  
smile.gif
 The ceylons are now very used to me and will do the line dance...three of them in a row and swimming up and down, up and down...when it is dinner time.  
smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif
 They are afraid of my fingers. Although they see my fingers when I feed them, they also see them when I clean their tank. Love-hate affair...
smile_m_32.gif

That big?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That's pretty impressive! I MUST have some now! I have an empty 125 gallon tank... But I think that's a little overkill
smile_m_32.gif

smile.gif
Eventually, Skeletor will have a tank that size all by itself. But of course if I put him in one now, it is really overkill because Skeletor is less than 2"!

Wow Cindy, I don't think I have ever seen a freshwater puffer in the states, maybe the distributors we order from just don't carry them. hmmm...

good to know. Sundood, a big tank is never overkill!

Dilution is the solution to polution. The reefkeepers motto, bigger the tank, less water changes you have to do.
smile.gif

Very cute little guys! Are they true salties or brackish puffers? I don't know how big those species get but an old hippe was running a fish shop in Chaska (MN) and he had a neat puffer fish who was pretty big (maybe a foot long)! He kept it in a little mermaid kiddie wading pool that was filled with live sand and live rock with lots of macroalgae (pretty but only observable from above). The puffer would jump out of the water and take food from his fingers. The shop got closed down cos he was propagating more than fishies...
smile.gif

The Ceylons are FW when juvenile, BW when young adult and SW when full adult.
smile.gif
They are now in BW.

Skeletor is full FW.
smilie4.gif
Kind of easier to keep.

Back