What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping plants

I just got some Sarracenia I traded for, and they are as cold as ice!!! Ahh, now I have "Foreigner" playing in my head....
Anyway, they apparently sat somewhere very cold over the weekend. I am hoping Sarracenia can withstand being frozen like that. If they were Nepenthes(especially lowland),they would probably be toast.
The main thing, is they were sent Priority, but were mailed on Thursday. If they were mailed Saturday, they would still probably get here today. If they were mailed regular mail on Thursday, they still might have arrived today.
Dean Cook is the one that first lead me to the "Mail Priority on Saturday" trick, to where it only ends up taking 48 hours(almost always, not close to Christmas, as Schloaty and I discovered) .
Just a word to the wise...

Cheers,

Joe

well i wouldnt give up on the sarracenia just yet, I kept an AL001 plant outside this winter -20 degrees! anyway it recovered nicely, immediatly sent up a flower scape, and now has about 6 pitchers coming up, as well as about 3 judith hindles i tried to use the fridge method on, i pulled them up, put them in a ziplock with water, and they got incased in ice, and stil recovered

See if you mail on monday you never have this problem

Monday is a very good day to mail, no arguements here. But Saturday Priority almost always gets there on Monday.
Tre, since I need to mail you something anyways, may I demonstrate by mailing this coming Saturday?

Cheers,

Joe

On related note, I just got Rattler's plants via regular mail from Montana, sent On Friday, and they are nice and room temperature.
It was 15 F this morning, so I am guessing the Sarracenia from earlier spent the weekend loaded on a truck awating delivery today.
I guess the moral is to put "Live Plants-Protect from Heat and Cold" like Tony does on his.

Cheers,

Joe

From what I hear, Saturday is the best time to mail. More info can be found on:Shipping Plants
Check the section under "When to mail".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP2k @ Mar. 15 2005,2:30)]From what I hear, Saturday is the best time to mail. More info can be found on:Shipping Plants
Check the section under "When to mail".
That's an excellent and informative link.

Can we sticky it in the top of the trading forum?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ahh, now I have "Foreigner" playing in my head....
Boy, did you just date yourself!

I agree with Grif. In the last several years, I have both received dead plants and had recipients get dead plants. Man, did I feel like a schmuck when I got the following PM "got a box of dead plants today."

This time I mailed on Monday so you all can tell me how they did.

I hate when my plants die on the way there. Cause then I have to replace them and most of the time I do not have replacements and so have to get replacement replacements.
I haope that made sense to someone

Back