Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question allen lowrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the only way to get a seed list to mail him? Also from what I understand I should not order Sarracenia seed. Anything else I should know?
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can fax him too. Nepenthes seed have shorter viability than Sarracenia(actually so are Pinguicula, I think).
    The best thing to do is order off of his updates(ie, new arrivals).

Cheers,

Joe

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Tamlin about this ealier in the year and I was told not to order from him. I didn't get any specifics though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is often a hotly debated topic. While just about every CPer has a lot of respect for Allen Lowerie's contributions to the carnivorous plant world, some of his practices are not held in high esteem by many. There are charges of insensitive field collecting and selling old, inviable seed. But on the other hand, many buy from him and are happy with their purchases. I guess its something you research and decide for yourself if he is someone you want to support with your business or not.

**Everyone is entitled to their opinions based on their knowledge and/or experience with Mr. Lowerie.** It can be hard to separate rumor from fact. But he definitely has his fans and his detractors.

You can have respect for the many wonderful contributions he's made to CPs and but have a difference of opinion regarding his business practices with selling plant material.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You can have respect for the many wonderful contributions he's made to CPs and but have a difference of opinion regarding his business practices with selling plant material." Very well stated.

That being said, there are many other sources of seed. Have you considered joining the ICPS? They have special offers for members and you will find their prices to be about 1/3 of that which is charged by Mr. Lowrie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was told stay away from his Sarr seed but that if you wanted to order things like annual Utric species, due to their habits the seed lasts longer and you generally have few problems, ive heard the same of his Drosera seed. i guess it depends on what your willing to deal with.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, for the input everyone. I heard about him using old seed, but I didn't know about his questionable seed collection. Now you have got me thinking PlantAKiss. Laura, I am a memeber of the ICPS and they usually have some great seed. Still kicking myself for not getting some of the tuberous drosera species when I had the chance. In this case I just wanted to know what he carried as I have found certain Drosera species hard to find and heard these were the most viable seeds he sells.
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know something, I just realized I need to renew my ICPS membership.

I PM'd you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast