What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed with frogs

I applaud you for trying to lend a hand.  Good for you and you will learn a lot about them just like I did. Dino, there's nothing wrong with keeping one or two. You'll just need to create appropriate habitat at that point. Now go and get your eggs.

i was respondint to pondboys suggestion

If you get a microscope and look at salamander gills, you can see the blood circulating. it's pretty cool.

I've never done that.  Sure wish I had thought of doing that. Sounds too cool.

You know what I have around here, a photograph of a juvenile salamander. I found several keeping cool and moist underneath a bag of hardwood mulch last summer. They had crawled up under the bag to get out of the afternoon sun. I recall tossing an acorn into the photo to be able to illustrate how tiny the little guy was. Now mind you if I can locate this photo (I'll have to sort through about 8,000 digital images), it isn't the greatest quality but it sure does give the viewer a frame of reference as petains to the size.

I have tons of pictures of the development of salamanders. from the eggs in the wild to pictures under the microscope of the eggs (every day) and the larvae... do you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to see them? I have to dig through and put them in my site... and I'm lazier than a sloth :p

Yup, I would like really like to see them. How did you ever come across those eggs? I've been trying for a few years now to get my hands on salamander eggs. Lucky you!

rats! lol. I'll try to post 'em tomorrow.
how did I come across them? umm... looking in temp pools/ponds. well... actually the eggs I kept were on a tiny tire print. I thought they might be in danger of drying out or getting squished by truck. I also took the smallest cluster I could find. only about twenty eggs in that one. (lol... yes, only. the others are huge!)
actually... about now would be a good time too look for them. the easiest ones to ID are spotted salamander eggs.

You found the salamander eggs in a tire track? Good thing those eggs were happened upon by you or I am of the opinion they most assuredly would have been toast. We have on occasion found green frogs peering up at us from standing water in tire tracks but never any eggs. And yes, we look for treasures such as what you found.

chrous frogs also like laying eggs in tire tracks. That's the only place i've found them. They are ridiculously slimy! you can't pick them up because they go through your fingers.
Last weekend my mom and I went to a park and there's this pool with TONS of spotted salamander eggs. The thing is 95% of them were dead!!!
smile_h_32.gif
the crazy weather is messing them up.
one thing that's interesting about spotted salamander eggs is that they get a symbiotic (mutualistic) algae in them. I don't know how the heck they get in there but the algae gets IN the eggs and provides them with oxygen. The eggs give them CO2 (darn... you can't do the subscript here) and nutrients. I even grew the algae for a while. really nice bright green color. I forgot what happened to them though... I think some daphnia got in there and ate them all :-/
Now I don't have any free-swimming algae NOR daphnia
smile_h_32.gif

O.K I got the eggs today, but when I got home I ralised I had waaay too many and I had to discard lots of them by throwing them into the grass.
I have about 20-25 eggs. Do you think that this is still too much?

O.K iI decided it was too much so I got rid of some more I have 12left now I think this is a good amount.

Hey Congratulations on being a new Daddy!

thanks
smile.gif

Actually theres something Ive been keeping from you all...

My mum does NOT approve of this.
Today I got the eggs in secret when she was out, I took an empty ice cream tub and went to walk my dog. On the way I stopped at the pond and got some eggs.
I had to tell mum when she came home, no other way round it.
She isnt happy but hopefully she will let me keep them now.
I also got a couple of pices of wild pondweed, I think its watercress but Im not sure, but it was in the same pond as they were in.

Oh and I picked up a few eggs and now I have 18-20 I can never make my mind up lol
smile_n_32.gif

try not to mess with them too much, amphibian eggs arnt very robust

If it was me I would have kept maybe 20. Chances are you will lose some along the way.

I've found newt larvae pretty easy to raise-but thats only because I have small live food around at all times. If you can't get daphnia or microworms, and later blackworms, its pretty much impossible. Otherwise, keep the water clean and they will be just as easy as frog tads.

ACK! i forgot! I'll post the pics when I get back... the library's gonna close soon so i have to hurry. speaking of pictures my camera is messed up so I also have to go to best buy.

mum has desided to be mean and has said: Im going to let you keep 6 and the rest are going back

is this still an O.K amount? looks a bit small to me

6 out of the whole batch?
confused.gif
And you destroyed the rest? You shoulda just left them there
confused.gif

dont worry about it, if u make a mistake or a accident happens, why increse the possible death toll?

Besides, why didnt u ask how many u could keep this shuffing is going to probably do some damage

Back