Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with frogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frogs (Ranidae) tend to lay their eggs in clusters while toads (Bufonidae) tend to lay their eggs in strings.

This web page will probably have photos which will hep with the ID-
    http://www.fishpondinfo.com/frog3.htm

Salamanders (Sirenidae, Cryptobranchoidea, and Salamandroidea) also lay eggs in clusters. Have fun with identification. Out your way, try this organization- http://www.thebhs.org/ might be able to help you out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would greatly discourae u from raising african clawed frogs if ur planning to relese them into the wild
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I misinterpreted what Dino is doing. It was my impression, he was attempting to give an indigenous species a helping hand after which he would release them back in the area of the pond from which he took them. No mention of an exotic species as a pet was ever mentioned by Dino.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no no the idea was to take frog(or toad)spawn from a local pond and release them back in the pond when they are froglets, although I may keep 1 or 2, but it doesnt look likely.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud you for trying to lend a hand. Good for you and you will learn a lot about them just like I did. Dino, there's nothing wrong with keeping one or two. You'll just need to create appropriate habitat at that point. Now go and get your eggs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was respondint to pondboys suggestion
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a microscope and look at salamander gills, you can see the blood circulating. it's pretty cool.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done that. Sure wish I had thought of doing that. Sounds too cool.

You know what I have around here, a photograph of a juvenile salamander. I found several keeping cool and moist underneath a bag of hardwood mulch last summer. They had crawled up under the bag to get out of the afternoon sun. I recall tossing an acorn into the photo to be able to illustrate how tiny the little guy was. Now mind you if I can locate this photo (I'll have to sort through about 8,000 digital images), it isn't the greatest quality but it sure does give the viewer a frame of reference as petains to the size.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast