What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquitoes

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I had my plants outside for most of the Summer, through mid-November. They went through four torrential downpours and I have seen mosquito larvae - then. I brought them inside and yesterday, I noticed that two of the containers had fresh mosquito larvae. How?

Well, son, it's like this. A male mosquito and a female mosquito meet and he invites her out for dinner. Then there's .... and then .... and, whoa, ....

Then there's mosquito larvae in the water.

LOL! That's good material! But seriously....

Eh, seriously I'd say that's how they got there... Dump the water out on some concrete so they die. And refill with fresh water. Problem solved.
smile.gif

dump it through a strainer and save the water.. nothing wrong with it..

Cept possible more eggs. :-\ Plus that'd halfta be one super fine strainer.

You could buy some special 'dunks' (they contain Bacillus thurengensis / Bt toxin) and put in the trays to prevent mosquitoes. I know someone in our group, WildBill, who uses these. Hope I helped.

Very true. I have used another type of this... It's by Spectracide and is called "mosquito stop" this comes in packets and you sprinkle some in... I like this way cause it's just little pebbles instead of those big ole dunks. I know this kind works superfast! I'm talking... less than 6 hours later... All the mosquito larva in my U. gibba tank were dead. ...simply awesome. I never saw any return to the tank either.
Andrew

I pour the water throught the pots and, even if a few of larvae survive the journey, it reduces their population quite a bit.  But my Sarrs are all in a live sphagnum & sponge rock mix that is a very effective and fast draining filter.

When the Sarrs are out for summer, I let the trays dry out at least once per week to take care of the problem.  My favorite problems are those that can be solved by doing nothing, such as by not refilling trays as often.  There's no need to accelerate Bt resistance in mosquitoes by using dunks for CP growing.

alright, alright here's what you do, you swat all the visible mosquitoes then you spray the plant and the soil with heavy mosquito repelent, that way they cant see the plant

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Mar. 15 2005,6:14)]Very true.  I have used another type of this...   It's by Spectracide and is called "mosquito stop"  this comes in packets and you sprinkle some in...  I like this way cause it's just little pebbles instead of those big ole dunks.  I know this kind works superfast!  I'm talking...  less than 6 hours later...  All the mosquito larva in my U. gibba tank were dead.  ...simply awesome.   I never saw any return to the tank either.
Andrew
SPECtracide
laugh.gif

Actually, I wasn't thinking about killing anything. I mean, not me, personally. I'm just gonna let the larvae turn into mosquitoes and let the pigmy dews, binatas & company do their thing.

Logically, I know what happened. I just wasn't expecting it - sorta like the Spanish Inquisition.

SPECtracide? Good pun!

Back